Prestige Financial / Innappropriate and illegal collection practices, Charging of erroneous fees and interest

1 1420 South 500 WestSalt Lake City, UT, United States Review updated:

During the course of my loan Prestige Financial engaged in many forms of harassment in their collection efforts. Many times I received threatening calls one to two days before my payment was even due. On the occasions I was late I tried to call Prestige to let them know when I would be able to make the payment. They demanded payment right then and there, and threatened me. They would send people out to my home and charge me $50.00 “for a door knock” every time they came out. This is after I had called them and said for example “I will bring the payment to you in three days” and they would send someone out anyways and charge me $50.00. On one occasion I was not home and my sister was at my house with a newborn baby. The collector banged on the door and yelled my name for 20 minutes before leaving. My sister did not know who it was and was very frightened as he was banging on the door so loud it caused a picture to fall off the wall. I was three days late at the time. I received abusive and threatening text messages to my cell phone from another collector, calling me names and threatening to come take my vehicle. Other times they called my family and friends and gave them specific account information and informed them I was late on my payments and was going to get my car taken away. They even went as far as demanding payment from them! Other times when I made payments over the phone they agreed to waive the normal fee of $20 to pay over the phone. They told me numerous times that if I gave them the payment over the phone right then that they would waive the fee. When I asked for a detailed account statement of the fees on my account, they had in fact charged me $20 every single time I made a payment over the phone. I went as far to speak with a supervisor regarding the fees, and explained to her that I was told these fees would be waived and she was very rude and said there was nothing she could do. It was just another tactic for them to get payment. Other times I received as many as 20 phone calls in a row on my cell phone, when collectors would call and call for 20 minutes straight. I have done research online and found many similar complaints regarding this company, and believe that they practice in illegal and harassing collection practices. Three years into the loan the engine went out on my vehicle. I was trying to save up to buy a new engine and continued paying Prestige for six months when I was not even driving the vehicle. After that time I simply could not affford to make the payments. Prestige repossessed the vehicle (a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta) From the dealership I had taken it to while I was waiting to buy an engine. They charged me $1500 to repossess the vehcile and than they sold it for $600! Now get this... I paid them close to $14, 000 during the course of my loan. The original amount of the loan was $16, 800. Now they are sueing me for $17, 000! They are sueing me for more than the original loan amount and they took the car!!! Unbelievable! I don't know how these people sleep at night.

Ai

Comments

• Dm
      22nd of May, 2009

Ya there trying to do the same to me but I am doing some reserching to see if they can legally be doing what they are doing. I lost my job and still was trying to pay and I asked them to lower my payment down from $416.00 to $316.00 for a few months and they kept saying we will work with you just pay this month in full and well work something out next month well it was the same story every month. well with no income i cant pay $416.00 and they wouldnt take the $316.00 so I let them take the car and I hope they take me to court so I can let the judge know what kind of company they are and how so many pepol owe more on there cars at the end then what they pd from the start. I have many emails and phone messages saved on how they played there game of pay in full this month and we will work with you next month so hopefully I can use them in court becuse im sure the judge would like to hear that they wont work with us during these hard times that everyone is having.

• Ti
      22nd of Sep, 2009

i wish they would send someone to my houst knocking on the door i have some dog that can stop that and if you dont know post no trespassing sign then call the police they will be arrested for criminal treapassing

• Mc
      20th of Oct, 2009

Just to let you people know - The way loan contracts work with vehicles (have been doing legal collections for years for local Law Firms) - When a car is repo'd, it is sold at public auction. If you owe $10, 000.00 on the car, and they charge a repo fee of $1, 500.00, then you owe $11, 500.00. They sell the car at auction for $3, 500.00 - That leaves you owing $8, 000.00 + all Attorney Fees, Court Costs, & Filing Fees. Thus, leaving you owing roughly $11, 000.00.

While it sounds like they are dirty & malicious in what they do. The people that are doing this job are doing nothing more than obiding by the very contract that you signed. Regardless of how its going to look in court, a Judge may tell them that their tactis are a little rough... but you still signed a contract that you will be liable for...PERIOD. Sorry to rain on your parade. Oh, and it isn't criminal tresspassing if they have an order for repo on a vehicle you aren't paying on. It's them collecting their belongings, and allowing you to return it voluntarilly, versus the repo charge!

• Go
      2nd of Nov, 2009

WTF ever mc williams, u sound like you work for them however i understand what you are saying but just like the housing market those people signed contracts as well and it was found that the same people that signed on the dotted line were preyed upon just like a lot of the finance companies do especially prestige i have seen loans there that were funded and these people DTI ratio was overlooked just to make a car deal i feel as if the goverment needs to sit down and put some things in place to protect our elderly and people that get nothing but ssi and disability those are the people prestige prey upon i have seen times people have car loans and have the same name as there dad and have a loan thru the company and even when they find out they dont care they still go after the father so u can sit back and quote all the laws u know but the simple fact is every dog has there day and prestiges day is coming soon WATCH and see.

• De
      20th of Nov, 2009

Her name is BRIANNA from PRESTIGE. My car paymet is due on the 20th of each month, she calls me the day before to see if I'm making my payment or if she can go ahead and the bank draft. I've never been more than a week past due on my payments. She said my loan has a NO GRACE PERIOD agreement in it. So on the 20th of each month they want my payment made. I said once I'm going to be a month late. they threaten to repo my car, or take it to a location until I made that late payment and paid a month in advance. These are BLOOD SUCKERS. I will tell everyone I know to never ever, let them finance a vehicle through them.

27th of Nov, 2009

I have an account with prestige financial. Now, I know that according to the F.D.C.P.A, creditors are not allowed to leave several messages within a 24 hour period, yet this company does.And they don't just leave a message, they are detailing the reason for the call on my machine and to others.(Another direct violation) They also solicit payments from my parents when they cant get a hold of us. (again, direct violation) this has been going on for months and I'm fed up.

• De
      4th of Dec, 2009

I have made 11 payments on my car, not ONCE late, not even a day late. Every time I am early, every time I pay over the amount due. I got a call from them yesterday asking about my payment, which by the way was NOT due yet. I told him he was being very rude to call about my payment when I have never even shown them I wouldn't pay. He said I should be grateful to them for lending me the money to buy my new car. I am lost, what kind of customer service are these people practicing? If anything they should be happy to have customers, especially with the economy the way it is, and then to harass a good customer?? I am going to trade my car in next month and not finance through this company ever again. Do they really believe they are the only finance company? I also registered a complaint with the BBB, more should, they have no right to treat people this way. BTW McWilliams63, you are very wrong in your comment, people have rights when companies like yours use bully tactics! I'd look for a new job if this company keeps up like this, you will go under with it.

• Yo
      6th of Dec, 2009
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

THIS COMPANY OF NEEDS TO BE STOP WE CAN BLOG ALL DAY LONG BUT ACTION IS NEEDED- WE HAVE RIGHTS NO MATTER IF THERE FIRST PARTY OR THIRD-AND MCWILLIAMS63 LEGAL COLLECTIONS LAW FIRM USED THE SAME TACTICS SO YOU DONT COUNT. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF SUING THEM SO YOU CAN DO IT TO IF THEY VILOATED YOUR PRIVACY OR THREATHEN TO SEND YOU TO JAIL CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS--FIGHTINGBACKINAZ

• Ai
      6th of Dec, 2009

Excuse me mica1755, but that is absolutley not correct. Just because you have breached your contract does not give the finance company the right to act anyway they please. There are actual laws put in place regarding this called "the fair debt collections practices act." This outlines specific guidlines for collectors and I can tell you as a former collector that if these laws are broken, the collections company can be fined up to $1000 per each and every specific violation. I have actually sued a collections company for this and they choose to give me $1000 rather than go to court!

• Go
      19th of Dec, 2009

Prestige Financials bark is bigger than there bite they are taught to threaten you if you cant make your payment the whole thing is they can say wutever to you as long as you (the customer) doesn't have proof of it (recordings) there is no prelegal, etc the only departments that's there is collections and customer service so they ususally have there neighbor or someone there that has a scary voice to threaten ya but they will not repo your car unless you are 90 days past due. You also have to be more that 30 days past due to in order to get an ext. now how ###ed is that? Reward the customers who are 30 days past due but the ones that are on time threaten them and they will pay this is what i was taught guys .Again just know your rights and call them on there threats.

• Pa
      22nd of Jan, 2010

This company is ###ED! I have told them over and over to come get the car..I told them I don't plan on paying them anymore because I cannot afford it. They have threatened me over and over again with legal action. I haven't made a payment for over 6 months now and the car is still sitting in my drive way, were it hasn't moved since 6/2009. Has anyone actually been sued by this company? Not just threatened...

• Co
      10th of May, 2018

@palehand They are suing me now

• Ne
      3rd of Feb, 2010

I have been trying to work with them for over 2 years. Right now I am 21 days late. They are threatening me to take the car because I don't honor the agreement. My rep is Kamia Hood. I told her that I would make 2 payments next week and she said not good enough. I am trying to stay a float like everyone else. I lost my job over a year ago and now finally got a new one but I am playing catch up. They call me, . text me, and send emails threatening me every day. Now it is in the hands of the field agent to pick up the car. No idea what to do..I lose sleep over this company..

• Ba
      16th of Feb, 2010

@palehand: I totally agree with you. This company is ###ed. I have done the same thing that you mention. I have not made a payment in 7 months. I sent the request for them to pick up the car. They have called texted, emailed with threatening messages. They even went as for as to ask me if I could find someone to take up the payments. At one point I did have someone to do that, but the way their people play so many games they decided against dealing with them. For them to be professional people they play some stupid games like changing the number on the read out on your caller ID to say your work number or other number from your references in hopes that you answer the phone. Well I just sent them another letter to inform them that the car is now in the auto pound due to the tags expiring in October with the address there for them to pick up. The funniest thing to me was when I was told that they couldn't repo the car because I didn't have insurance on the car. Now what kind of dummy am I suppose to be. First of all they want be driving the car it will be in tow, and secondly they have insurance to cover their cars.

• Re
      19th of Feb, 2010

I am so glad to find out that I am not the only one dealing with this company. They are the most unprofessional company that I have dealt with. I make payments every month and I still get threatened by them. If I am a day late, the text messages and phone calls start. Sometimes I can get a call 6 times in a day. Just depends on the day who calls me. They keep telling me I dont have insurance on the care however i have sent them proof over and over. I wish I knew how I could stop them.

23rd of Feb, 2010

I have been lied to by them. I was not going to be able to make my payment for Aug and Sept. I called them and they said that they would put it at the end of my loan...interest free. We agreed to have my next payment due Oct 1st. Well, I was able to make a payment in August, so I made one over the computer. Then Sept came around and I found out that I could make another payment, so I called them this time and the guy on the line told me that I didn't owe a payment until October 1st. He also told me that I shouldn't of made a payment in August, because I was on a payment plan agreement. I went round and round with him and he pretty much refused to take my payment. I hung up with him and called right back hoping to get someone else, but I got him again. I asked him to check once more and see if I have a payment due...he said '' mam, please you do not owe a payment until Oct 1st." Like a dummy I took his word for it. I didn't understand, but believed him. I figured he worked there and should know better than me. Well Oct 1st came around and Brittany called me and now I owed 2 payments and I was being charged interest for everyday that I was late. I told her about the guy I talked to and she asked me what number I called and then informed me that he was fired, because he was not on the same page as everyone. Ok!!! So I reminded her about the no interest and she told me that the was not true and I needed to now make a $350.00 payment every 2 weeks until the end of March to get me caught up. Being a good person and not understanding all the fast talking, I made one $350.00 payment and then a week later the calls started up again. 3 calls a day!!! This time it was Andrea! I finally talked to her and told them that I can't do that many payments. She laughed and told asked me who told me that I needed to make payments like that. Again not understanding!

24th of Feb, 2010

I told her it was Brittany. She then told me that Brittany was fired. I had called them, because I had many messages on my phone, text and email that they had options for me, but after calling, Andrea told me that there was nothing that they could do for me and that I was to put the car on Craig's list or use a list of websites that she gave me (can't remember the names).She told me that I needed to try and sell the car using these sites and to call her back after I sold the car or have someone else take over the payments. She also told me by doing this it would by me about another month, before they would come get the car. I am now 1 1/2 months behind. I hung up with her thinking that I had to get this car sold. 2 days later I am now getting messages. test and emails from Akesa asking where my payment was and that they had options for me. Again not understanding what the heck she is talking about because of what Andrea told me. I emailed Akesa and let her know the conversation between Andrea and I and all I got was an email back telling me that I needed to make a payment. I then called her 2 days later and asked her what was going on. She told me that she was here to help me and that if I made 5 payments for the next five months I would be caught up and they would put the payments that I missed at the end of my loan interest free. The only catch is that the 5 payments would not go towards my principle. It would just go to the company, because they were doing me a favor. I was desperate, so I gave her the payment. She than told me that I could make the next 4 payments anytime during the months that they were do, as long as I make them. Ok! 4 days later it is still Januray and her constent phone calls, text and emails start up. She is wanting February's payment. What the heck!!! I just gave you a payment. I have the whole month!!! My phone is ringing up to 8 times a day, 4-6 text messages a day and at least 2 emails a day. Most times the phone will ring and she will hang up and call right back 3-4 times, then leave 2 text messages. Finally the other day I was at work and noticed that it was them, so I answered and Akesa started in on me. I told her that I was going to make the payment, but I could not do it today and I would call her tomorrow. I then told her not to call me at work, because I work in Health care and it is busy, so I can not have personal phone calls at work. She kept talking and would not listen, so I had to hang up on her. The phone then rang 6 mores times in a row. 1 1/2 hours later she called 3 more times in a row. 20 minutes later I answered the phone again. Asked her again not to call me at work. She then told me that I didn't know who to handle my responsibilities, so I hung up on her again. She then called 7 more times in a row. 2 minutes later she called 3 more times in a row. After work I had 3 calls and 2 text messages on my cell phone. There is other situations with this company, but it would be a book before I got done. I have decided that I am not going to give them 4 more payments of $420.oo, because I was only 1 1/2 months behind and they had told me it would be interest free...well what are the 5 payments for???????

• Rb
      5th of Mar, 2010

Everyone here getting contacted at work, or has relatives being harassed send them email to notify them they can only send you mail. No other communication otherwise can be made period. They must do this by law. I have already done this.

21st of Mar, 2010

You can also turn them in to the Department of finance in your local area. They are not alowed to ring your phone over and over again. They are also not suppose to give information to family, friends, co-workers or Neighbors. They have done this to me and I am tired of it. I know that I am in the worng for not being able to pay for the car any longer, but when it comes to my health care or the car...I have to chose my health care.

• In
      31st of Mar, 2010

I have made my payments told them I would make a payment on the 26th. I sent Morgan the info Fri that I could not make the payment on the 26th due to the fact that I was put in the hospital. I am 20 days behind so now here the threats start. Yesterday they called my work twice, sent me 3 text messages, 8 emails, and called my phone 26 times. One rep says that they can can take a post dated check and the next rep says they can't. Then I had a third person call me last night telling me that he understands and wants to work with me. I call him to tell him the situation that I am still in the hospital and he understands..Then Kamia calls me twice already today..threatening to release my car for repo..she said I never communicate with them. I have responded to all emails and text messages. I can't take it anymore. This is insane. I feel like I am under the gun with them all the time.

4th of Apr, 2010

Insane66. It will get worse. They contact my co-workers everyday and tell them that they are looking for a missing car. They make it sound like I have stole a car. My boss even asked me what was going on. They have contacted my neighbors (people I don't even know) having them put notes on my door, telling me to contact them because they don't have my phone number. (Whatever, they call, text, email and call my work all day). They also told my neighbor that they were looking for a missing car. Gosh, that makes me look like I have stolen the car. I have told them to just come get it and they raise their voices telling me to stop hiding the car. That is so not true!!! I don't understand why they keep saying that to me. They know where I live and work and I have told them to come get the car.
    I have contacted the Dept. of Finance and they told me to file a complaint on their website, because they may be able to get them on the constant calling and hanging up (over and over again). They also said that they are not alowed to tell family, friends, co-workers or anyone that you are behind on your payments.
    Not expecting much, but I have received a letter from the Dept of Finance that they are sending a letter to Prestige in this matter.
    I totally feel and understand your frustration. I just don't understand why they have laws for Morgage companies, but not for car finance companies. I have just through my hands in the air and given up. I just can't take one agent telling me one thing and then another saying something different. Hopefully they can be stopped.