Pick 'n Pay / waste of great store

United States Review updated:

I frequent the Pick n Pay frequently as it is one of the two shops in the Meerensee area, the other being Spar. I dislike going to the Spar as it is always busy, it seems dirtier and the Pick n Pay name brand sits better with me.

However I am growing more and more frustrated by the lack of service and poor cashier management at the Pick n Pay.

The Pick n Pay is by far a better store - cleaner, bigger, more parking, better security and, from what I can tell, more competitive pricing. But, there are never enough cashiers to handle the few people who do shop at the store. Almost every single time I go there in usual shopping hours there are big queues as only 3 or 4 of the tills are open.

What is even more frustrating is the fact that on the wall is a poster of the 'Pick n Pay promise' that if there are 2 people in front of you in a queue they will open another till - this has never happened. I have complained about this fact and the response on both occasions is 'we are short on staff'. I doubt if Mr Ackerman had made similar comments when faced with similar problems he would been able to build such a strong name brand.

He

Comments

• Co
      5th of Sep, 2010
    Pick 'n Pay - awful quality potatoes, old and rotten
    picknpay.co.za

I bought a pocket of potatoes at Pick 'n Pay as I am a Discovery Vitality member and we are encouraged to buy our fruit and veggies at Pick 'n Pay. I had to carry 10 kgs of potatoes as well as my 18 month old daughter up 3 flights of stairs once I got home only to find the most disgusting potatoes I have ever bought. A lot of them were broken and others had cuts all over them that were becoming rotten. I am beyond disappointed. We as customers can't see the state of the potatoes as the packets are not transparent - but I trusted that since it was from Pick 'n Pay it would be fine. It would have been cheaper else where and perhaps would have received better quality. I am EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED. Perhaps Discovery should rethink Pick 'n Pay being their grocery of choice.

• Sc
      13th of Sep, 2010
    Pick 'n Pay - stop spamming me
    picknpay.co.za

I have asked the management of this store to stop sending me sms's of their specials. Yesterday I received another one. How can I make this stop? I do not want to know that bananas or bulk lamb is on special.

The store manager even said I must have signed up for this service and showed me the file with my name and number in. Somebody else must have given my info. The store say they do not know how to remove me from the list.

• On
      15th of Sep, 2010
    Pick 'n Pay - misleading prices at pick 'n pay
    picknpay.co.za

I shop at the Pick 'n Pay in Rondebosch, Cape Town almost everyday. For the past few months, I have noticed that their pricing system is very bad and that their placing of labels never correspond to the respective goods. I wonder if they do this on purpose as it almost always happen with any goods ranging from their open shelves to their fridge section. I would be very happy if somebody at the Pick 'n Pay store would deal with this problem as it is very irritating to never know their prices. Maybe they should consider putting a price scanner for their customers to use - a similar system to the one found in Checkers and Woolworths in Rondebosch.

30th of Sep, 2010
    Pick 'n Pay - imagine how other customers get treated if I get treated like this
    picknpay.co.za

I complained abt Pick n Pay a few weeks ago about being charge in correctly and there attitude, well they did come back to me and had advised me to come to the store and collect a voucher by the Information desk as organised by Collin Belinda 10092009 Saturday I went there and Guess what No envelope was left. So I called Belinda on Monday we made arrangements for the weekend, I called on Friday just to make sure I don’t waste petrol. Guess what I get there on Sunday18102009 and the CSM was not there who is suppose to give me the envelope, to worse things up the Information desk lady still had decency to say I was supposed to come the on the Saturday with attitude, how dare she tell me that if she know nothing? I don’t want anything from Pick n Pay Boksburg. I’m done now with that store. It just shows you imagine how other customers get treated if I get treated like this. I dont even want a respond as they JUST tell Lies and give bad service...

• Ri
      12th of Oct, 2010
    Pick 'n Pay - filthy dirty tills that the staff won't clean
    picknpay.co.za

I wish to complain about the absolutely disgusting state of the tills at Pick n Pay Heathway. The place where you pack your groceries on the till was absolutely filthy. When the tiller was told and asked to clean the till area she responded with a bad, could not care less attitude. Its appalling that customers have to receive this bad service and bad attitude.

• Ho
      10th of Jan, 2011
    Pick 'n Pay - cleaner looks angry at the customer
    Pick 'n Pay

I was shopping at Pick n Pay at Protea in Soweto. I was coming close to the friedge to have my meat weighed sothat I can pay for it only to notice the cleaner looking at me very funny. I could swear he was ready to clap me if I had said anything to him. It was a clearner from a private company. I stood in shock only to find that he was cleaning and I steppend where he cleaned. It is not my problem that they decide to clean the store during trading hours. I am not sure if the cleaner expected me to wait till the floor is dry to make my purchase.

• Al
      10th of Jan, 2011

wow, sure hope he didnt clap you...