Onstar / unauthorized charges and useless service

1 Nashville, TN, United States Review updated:

I bought a 2008 Saturn Astra which came with Onstar. The only time I ever authorized my credit card to be used by Onstar was to purchase minutes for the cellular service. After a few attempts at using the navigation system, I gave up because the directions were usually wrong and sometimes sent me to another town when asked a simple question like " where is the closest Target?" At the end of the first year I noticed a charge from Onstar and was told because there were emergency services involved - they have the right to bill me for services without mu authorization. Even though I had never authorized Onstar to use my credit card because the cellular service is from Verizon.

Comments

• Pe
      3rd of May, 2010

I bought a 2009 Vibe inMarch of 2009 and it came with a yerar free of Onstar service, at the time I bought it I bought$20.00 of minutes for the phone on my credit card. In february of 2010 I got notice my free period was up soon so I contacted them to cancel, I still had $19.00 worth of minutes and informed them that I do not use it enough to justify the $28.50 Canadian a month. So I figured taht was all said and done until I recieved my credit card statement this monthy and found the monthly charge on it, checked last months and sure enough there was acharge ther too. I phoned them up and told them and they said oh yes we have a record of you cancelling in February bur you hung uo to quick, I said that was not so, and they said they would credit my card with the two months charges. I JUST WONDER HOW MANY OTHER PEOPLE ACROSS NORTH AMERICA GET THE SAME THING HAPPENING IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE MUCH BUT IN LARGE NUMBERS A COUPLE OF MONTHS INTREREST ON THE TOTAL CONTINENTAL AMOUNT IS PRETTY GOOD PROFIT. Also I will nebver recieve the borrowing amount for the 56.80 for two months bACK FROM THEM.

Peter Homer
    Brampton, ON

5th of Feb, 2011

OnStar is not only useless, their customer service sucks and they're idiots. I traded in a GM Vehicle that had an active OnStar account and phone number with it, called OnStar BEFORE the trade in to be sure I could port the phone number on my old car to my new car and was told I could - that all I had to do was call their billing department when I got my new Avalanche and they'd transfer my information over. So I did that but guess what? Post purchase the new rep claimed they couldn't do that - that the phone number stays with the car. Really? I can see the PHONE staying with the car [obviously] but the phone NUMBER? As I said, IDIOTS. After speaking with her manager and getting absolutely nowhere I took my complaint to the dealer who sold me the new car - also useless. They claim to have talked to the regional OnStar manager who basically said "Tough sh!+". They told him of my threat to cancel my OnStar subscription [despite it being 'free' - of what, can't say since it certainly isn't free of aggravation] and they claim he offered me free minutes but if wasn't good enough I could cancel." Nice, huh? Needless to say I am in the midst of constructing a nasty-gram to Linda Marshall and Dan Akerson. Bottom line, if you're considering buying a new GM vehicle and expect to transfer your old vehicle's phone number to your new car, good luck. I've always loved GM cars, despite their countless mechanical issues, but this one is definitely the last. This has been a horrible experience, SO not worth the aggravation, especially for the price. In restrospect, I should have bought the Sport Trac, instead.