North Shore Animal League / Bogus Adoption Policy

1 25 davis avenue Port Washington, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 516 8837575

My family and I drove to the Port Washington Animal League to Adopt a Dog for my son's Birthday. Just like everyone who visits a dog shelter. You should ask many questions about the dog. We asked about the dogs being housebroken, why they were placed in adoption, are there any hyper-allergenic dogs, if the were good with kids, return policy... Wrong, we should have not asked any questions. Once we decided on the dog to adopt. They used our questions against us. The rude Supervisor Adrianne with no last name, stated we could not adopt a dog because my son had allergies.. I tried to explain I was just asking questions because of my preferences and my son has no allergies to dogs. He was so rude, I ask him to bring the associate that I asked the questions to, so I could speak to her in front of him, he refused and told me to get a note from an allergist. I explain why I would pay for an allergist if my son did not have allergies. He ask about my son eyes being red, and I told him my son was crying because he could not get the dog.. And at that point my son was in full tears crying and he just shrugged, offered no apologies or suggestions.. Adrianne than refused to give us the Director's name, a copy of the policy and would not let me see my adoption application. He stated once I filed out the adoption application, it was their property and he did not have to let me see it.. Even though, I gave them my license and credit card info. Adrianne, also stated since I said my daughter has a dog in Albany, if he could not prove her dog was there with her.. We could not adopt. He would have just been better telling me, I not going to let you adopt a dog and I am going to find any reason so you can not.. This was a horrible experience on my son’s Birthday, I thought I was helping them by paying to adopt a dog from a “Not for profit” no kill animal shelter.. What a FRAUD.

Davis Family
Wheatley Heights, NY

Da

Comments

• Di
      30th of Dec, 2008

North Shore Animal League America did not turn down your adoption application because you asked questions; rather, because you stated on your application that your son had allergies. Our first priority always is to find a permanent home for our animals and to the best of our ability, match the most appropriate pet with our potential adopters. The application responses and interviews help to guide us in making placements that we believe will be lasting. This benefits both the pets and the adopters, respecting the bond that quickly develops between them. Too often, adopters think that they can live with a pet allergy, only to discover the opposite, and pets must be relinquished. The question that you had regarding allergy was not used against you; rather, it was used to help make the most appropriate match. Your application was not denied, it was voided pending the visit to your child’s allergist. We asked that you check with an allergist to ensure that you could honor a long-term commitment to an animal without harm to your child. Imagine the disappointment your child would face if you had to return the dog after a week.

The pet that your family wishes to adopt is still at the shelter. Kindly contact us immediately if you remain interested and can show that your son’s allergies will not compromise the adoption. We look forward to hearing from you.
    Dianne Zoppa
    North Shore Animal League America
    516-883-7636

• Sd
      28th of Mar, 2009

North Shore Animal League is the biggest fraud there ever was. You were denied the dog because you asked too many questions. NSAL is a giant pet shop, posed as a rescue center. Once a week they get a delivery of puppies from down south, from puppy mills. The animals on this delivery truck are not cared for, in fact once they reach the organization, a good percentage of the animals are dead. If you have ever been to a real animal shelter you will notice that a majority of the dogs are adult dogs. Shelter dogs are usually ones who have been abandoned, and they are usually adults. (Who gives up a puppy? They are too cute, once they are full grown then all their cute habits like eating your shoes are nuisances) NSAL always seems to have an abundance of young dogs. That is because they are buying them! Not finding or rescuing them! Also I have seen many people adopt a dog that is sick, or had behavioral issues. By law a shelter is required to take that dog back. NSAL refuses, How do they get away with that?
    If you want to really adopt a dog, find your local shelter that actually has the dogs that have been picked up off the streets. That shelter will not have the Disneyland-esq presence that NSAL has. It will probably be dirty and smelly. That is because those people are volunteering there time to help animals who really are homeless. Real animal shelters need help because they are truly a non profit organization.
    Boycott NSAL, and spread the word! They are the devil in disguise!

• Th
      18th of May, 2009

I am in complete agreement with these complaints. What kind of Adoption Agency interrogates you as if you were a criminal from the beginning? And when you ask for thorough information about the pet's health, no one has a direct answer? The FBI is less invasive. BOYCOTT NSAL!

• Je
      4th of Jun, 2009

I just had a terrible exerpience at NSAL... I went there to adopt two kittens, spent two hours picking them out, filled out the form with my mother and sat in the other room for an hour while they checked my references. My mom needed to make her doctors appointmet so she left me there to take the kittens home myself. When they finally called me in, they said that I could not sign the off on the kittens because 1) I was 20 and not 21, 2) My mom filled out the form. I then told them she was at a doctors appointment and then going to work so if they could hold the kittens until the next day, and they so rudely and arrogantly said "no. we do not hold any animals for more than one hour. We believe it is in the best interest of the cat." this is complete ### because we obviously wanted the cats, we already filled out a form and everything. So I asked if I could have my dad sign it and they said yes. I begged him to come out of work and when he got there they already voided our application! they said that my dad would have to fill another form out and have to wait another hour while they went through the same nonsense they already went though. Obviously these people dont care about animals at all.. they are uneducated lowlives who feel important because they can determine if you will get the cat or not. They dont care if they get homes, all they care about is that they are the "boss" of absolutely nothing. Pathetic. We left, and after reading up about how they ship off cats to kill shelters or for laboratory testing, im absolutely digusted.

• Tr
      9th of Sep, 2009

I have proof that north shore and their affiliates put ads in classifieds news papers across the mid west and purchased dogs for up to 50 dollars for their so called puppy mill rescue. I challenge any real reporter. No I dare you to try and report the truth. These rescue groups make a lot of money while they are closing down legal licensed tax paying businesses that provide jobs. They lie where they get the dogs. Please stop the cruelty. rescue is big business that does not pay taxes

• Tr
      16th of Oct, 2009

Let me tell you the truth: Alex Lewyt was a money hungary sob who was addicted to fame. He daughter starved and lived in an orphanage... out of guilt he supported this adoption for dogs... meanwhile he ignored his responsibilities and refused to pay one dime towards child support or to help. The dog shelter was him working out his guilt. He was hot-tempered and nasty; never had any other children; married late in life; had no friends and was addicted to money and fame. the NSAL continues with his philosophy of being all about the money... they buy puppies; they don't treat the sick dogs well; they drop off dogs to other shelters when they are not adopted; they "charge" all kinds of fees to adopt the animals and they are very very nasty. Nothing has changed since Alex's death. The philosophy is still the same. And by the way, when he died his "family" never bothered to put a gravestone on his grave... it was only after his daughter complained to the NSAl (7 years after his death) that a gravestone was put on his grave... That's the kind of people you are dealing with...don't donate a dime to them. Lewyt had a ton of money; he was a war profiteer; had a major collection of French impressionist paintings... let them us his money to support NSAL...

• Ai
      18th of Nov, 2009

If they were soley nonprofit and every dime you gave them was a DONATION, then why is it extra for a pure bred or a puppy? it sounds like youre buying from a pet store or some other profiting business. if every dog was truely the same to them and all they cared about was providing a home for the dogs, pure bred or not wouldnt make a damn difference..right?

• St
      27th of Nov, 2009

WOW! I just saw a story on ch 12 News. That NSAL just some how stumbled across a "ton" of puppies from a Midwestern puppy mill. Is anybody stupid enough to believe this would happen so close to Christmas???? They got busted once for crap like this this now it looks to me like they are at it again.Its public record how much they make go look it up and get sick like I did a while back at that time the 10 highest paid people made over $100K a year and if I remember correctly at least two people where over $400K. Just what the local animal kingdom needs. The local shelters will be filled up by March next year. Just remember where you heard this first.

• Mb
      18th of Apr, 2010

I adopted my dog from North Shore three and a half years ago. I filled out all the forms, payed my fees and upon check-out was told the dog was "resistant." What does that mean?, I asked. "It means you have to muzzle her when she goes to the vet." Three and half years and several thousand dollars in behaviorists, trainers, vet bills paid for dog fights, I am convinced this dog was never properly evaluated by a skilled staff of dog behavior experts. I passed as an appropriate owner, but I know they never called my references. They were looking to unload a dog. She's my troubled girl and I've gone above and beyond helping her because I know in most scenarios, she'd be put to sleep. But the past three and half years have been a grueling journey. Please do not adopt from NSAL. Go to the ASPCA or other shelter where experts thoroughly evaluate dogs for food aggression, resource guarding, stable personalities and other behaviors. This is not something you want to be dealing with.

• Rb
      14th of Dec, 2010

I've been involved in animal rescue for many years. Over those years I've heard and experienced many negative things about NSAL from people who went to adopt, people who obtained dogs from NSAL, other rescuers and had a personal experience there myself. What I know is that the higher ups in the company are paid a salary not commensurate with charity status. True it costs money to run a shelter and help homeless animals, that I know, but where the money from donations is going is questionable. My biggest issue with NSAL is the soundness of the dogs they adopt out and the method by which they adopt. I have heard more than my share of dogs who had serious behavioral problems as with the owner of the dog above, one who had to euthanize their dog due to severe human-directed aggression. I commend those who work hard to help these animals but I find it extremely irresponsible and dishonest that an animal rescue organization would adopt without evaluating an animal or being up front with a potential adopter. So there are issues on several levels. The methods by which they select adopters is neither in the best interests of the animal or to insure the right match. (I am currently fighting a case of a neglected outdoor dog who lives in a shed that was adopted from NSAL) and the behavioral health of many of the dogs they adopt out is very often in question. It does seem that NSAL does do some positive things for the homeless animal problem but their shelter, it's methods and where they obtain their dogs is very questionable. Every rescue/shelter should be concerned first and foremost with the well being and future of their animals. They should provide all necessary medical care both physical and behavioral. Animals should be evaluated and the temperaments of the dogs should be disclosed to the potential adopter. Those who handle rescue animals should have some experience with them or training at the very least. In rescue, those of us who work hardest for the animals are volunteers. We do it because it is in our hearts, not because we are being paid for it. In addition it would be a nice change if the workers there were not all so young and seemingly inexperienced with animal behavior. Whatever the case may be, there is and has been a call for change at that "shelter" and many of their methods are questionable. I wouldn't support a charity that had any questionable practices.

11th of Apr, 2011

They are selling dogs and puppies, why is it there are never any puppies at the pound and NSAL always has so many?

Best Best Advice +4 Votes

This is a review of the North Shore Animal League I found online:
    As a former volunteer, I'll tell you the good, the bad and the ugly about North Shore.

The good:

1. There are lots of great animals up for adoption. However, I would steer clear of the puppies as I'll explain later in the post.

2. The staff is for the most part friendly and knowledgeable. This is especially true of volunteers (those in red shirts) as they are not paid to be there.

3. It is a clean facility - at least the parts the public sees.

The bad:

1. The puppies on the website are not in the shelter. If North Shore was a business - and in many ways it is - it would've been fined a long time ago by the BBB for this blatant bait and switch scheme.

2. Most reputable shelters will never adopt out a pet that has not been spayed or neutered. Not North Shore. They require you to leave a $75 deposit which you will get back when you bring back your puppy/kitten. I can tell you that a large percentage of adopters never come back to get this done which of course further worsens the pet overpopulation problem. Now why would North Shore, an organization that is supposedly set up to fight this problem actually be encouraging it? Cos they don't have to refund that extra $75 of course!

3. Many long-term "problem" animals are neglected - kept in the back away from public view in small cages. Partly because they are understaffed and partly because not enough people care, these animals behaviors get worse the longer they are there.

4. There are way too many animals and not nearly enough workers/volunteers. If this was someones home, North Shore would be called the equivalent of a hoarder.

The ugly:

1. The president John Stevenson makes an obscene amount of money - nearly half a million a year. To put this in perspective, the top ranking executive at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary - a charity that actually has higher revenue and expenses - makes less than a third of that. This information is readily available at http://charitynavigato... For the record, I never saw Mr. Stevenson once in my years there and I've been told by employees that he rarely makes appearances at the shelter.

2. North Shore will most likely not accept your animal if you should ever return it. Now I have little sympathy for most people that do return pets, but that said, it's almost criminal that a no-kill shelter will basically turn away their former animals and have them most likely end up in a kill shelter. Unless your dog is small, young and "cute" (e.g., not a pit bull), your dog will most likely not be accepted back after the 30-day return policy is up.

3. Conditions can be often disgusting - areas can be neglected for hours at a time resulting in animals laying in their own urine and feces. Of course this is only in areas away from public view.

4. At a recent major event, many puppies were not checked out by the vet staff before being put up for adoption. Because of this gross negligence many sick animals were adopted out and ended up passing away from the parvo virus. A large amount of the veterinary staff quit in protest.

5. Ask yourself why every other shelter does not have puppies, but North Shore seems to have an endless supply of them. There is a dark answer lurking there if you search deep enough. If you do adopt from North Shore DO NOT ADOPT A PUPPY.

So in summary, I would encourage everyone to adopt from North Shore as long as it is a kitten/cat or adult dog and NOT a puppy. I also would not donate a single cent to the organization until some serious philosophical/organizational changes are made. There are much more reputable charities out there to support.

11th of Apr, 2011

Take a look at the following sites and look at the other side.

Just look them up!

• Th
      26th of Apr, 2011

I am a decorated Firefighter from Ny . One of my decorations was given to me by the ASPCA . Arriving at the house fire I was told there where several animals inside the dwelling . All where rescued including the kitten to which I gave mouth to mouth recessation . That won me first page on the Daily News a large NYC newspaper . My wife and I lost a pet of 13 years who due to her age. She deaf and blind for at least the last two years . ." Cookie"also could not control her bowel movemenst so we had her put down at a cost of $200.00 . We arrived at the North Shore Animal Asylum Thinking we would adopt a dog or cat . We found a small black Lab puppy . Now this place is run by DUMB and Dummer!We went to this place, as for three days the adoption fees where being waived [ Adoption Fees} aka sale price, by the staff when we called . . Any way We where told by some gal who looked like she just got released from thne laundry hamper that we needed a computer coupon .to qualify for non payment ...which we where not told about where we began this odessy . She Refused to help us by having one printed up for us there and suggested we return home 45 minuets away to get one printed at home .This place is so incrediably stupid you will just have to evaluate what I write as the truth .{see other complaints} Long and short of it we got the coupon printered there . Now we are going to have to pay 75.00 for The nutering ..jeezzz I thought it was free, , , , , , , , , , and pigs fly !We cooperate .Have a seat it will be 20 to 30 minuets . An hour and 15 minuets later no dog, no contact, no nothing . I go into the "Playpen" aka office and there is about a half a dozen young gals chit chatting about their social life . Text text text ...! I complain ...WRONG MOVE! This little sbnippy gal tells me that they haven't even started on my application which incidentially I had only put one "GOOD " reference s telephone number on . I explain my position even go so far as ask here to help me as time is critial [have to pick up my grand daughter} No good .Im a Fireman I tell her pleading, well my father is a cop and he would have to wait also, is her response! Hate to meet him ! any way .Go to your seat ...How much longer .20 to 30 minuets . 45 minuets later i snag a older gal who i saw working in the office . I explain what has been going on . Just one secound sir .2 minuets later im called in . WE CANNOT GIVE YOU A DOG ! WHAT ...Why ? Because one of your references says you gave you prior dog away, neglected it and left it to its own resources for long periods of time. You never had the dog put under .I was waiting for "and your a serial dog killer and molester" all the people are standing around looking at me . My Irish temper gets the best of me . Where did you get that info from I ask . One of your references I cant tell you which one . Well bucko it could only be one . My son and daughter in lawas you only had one good telephone number to call . and there is NO WAY they would have told you that !!! I call my daughter in law and she tells me she got into a fight with the woman on the phone when the woman asked her if she knew her husband was adopting a dog ...No she didn, t as her husband my son in paralyzed fromthe waist down {Line of Duty injury}and in the bed room next to the kitchen as we speak .OH no he isnt hes HERE ! for clarification I am SR he is JR . Any way I had just been arguing with her in the office 30 minuets before ...DUH! Finally after much adeau I get the "Manager " to speak to my daughter in law at which time she tells him of the problems . After speaking with her i ask ok are we good to go .NO ! NO why not ? I dont know all the facts! I am a retired Chief ...Held command for 22 years never ran into a Young man who had such a lack of manners and common sense, and I tell him so . His parting comment to me is .LEAVE !!! So for all who read this be prepared to spend time in the asylum with the inmates when you go this place to adopt a pet.

• Ba
      29th of Apr, 2011

This is all about the NWO, if you are worthy to buy an own an animal next it will be your children and family.

• Ia
      28th of Jun, 2011

M

My name is ION ROTARU, in january 2011 I adopted a cat from NORTH SHORE. The cat went back three times for different vaccines . Last visit was today 6/27/2011 for neutering . I personally gave the cat to the vet and I was told to come back around 4 pm to pick him up. Around 1.30 pm I got a call from NSAL to be informed that it was a mistake and my cat has now a clipped ear. they told me that they do this for ferret cats. It was no the case my cat had a leash with 3 tags all from NSAL . The person on the phone did not want to give me his full name was only DAREL, medical manager. At 4.00 pm. when I picked my pet I had to talk to a different Senior Medical Manager, Ms .Theresa Fastaia who told me that she just came in and she can't give me any paper stating the facts until she will investigate.I was told that I will get a letter in the next few days. Please be aware of this negligence when you take your loved pets for any surgery and make sure people understand why are they there. PETS can't talk !

Y

• Te
      22nd of Oct, 2011

North Shore Animal Shelter is a complete scam. The town of Hempstead Shelter just a quarter mile away even told me yesterday 10/21/11 that North Shore drops off dogs that they no longer want to care for at there shelter!! I would have never known that had NSAL not denied me a puppy and I would have never checked the other shelters out. They dont care about the animals they have there at all. The volunteers seem to be there because they genuinly love animals and want to help but half of them cant tell you any useful information on any animal you are interested in, besides the breed which i was told by an employee that they simply guess! Fine for me because i love mutts and dont mind having a huge dog and wouldnt mind having a DNA test done on my pet to see what breed/mix he really was but what about others who do care and cant afford or keep such a big dog? Once people adopt pets and they grow to proportions bigger than expected ofcourse they will want to return it but can they? NO! NSAL will only go dump the animal at another shelter like Hempstead because it is there responsibility to care for abandoned animals in that area! The people who work there, in the adoption center are RUDE and plain unsympathetic. They will give you any excuse humanly imaginable if they just dont want to approve you and wont show you any adoption policies, just a straight "WE WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE DOG, SO LEAVE." I went there with the intention of finding my new family member, fell in love with a dog, bought all the supplies and then was denied because i am 20 and not 21, which they knew while i was with the dog for hours and filling out paperwork.. fine policy is policy but even when i was with someone 21 of the household and it was known i could have the dog in the house, i was denied. JUST BECAUSE. Weeks later my sister went to adopt a puppy, her landlord and refrences were great, she was allowed to keep a dog in her apartment, she has a job and is married to someone who also works, but apparently my sister alone did not work a total of 40 hours and that was a problem, it would be a financial burden for her to take the dog and so she as well was denied? HOW THE HELL DO THEY KNOW HOW MUCH SHE EARNS AND HOW MUCH HER HUSBAND EARNS? its all BS! We have had pets before and have never neglected any animals and the Vet was able to assure them of this but of course they dont care. Meanwhile they gave a dog to someone who put a border collie puppy in a crate it couldnt even turn around in and left it in the trunk of NSAL for 40 min! My parents couldnt have even adopted the dog for me seeing as 18 years ago they adopted a dog at North Shore and it attacked my sister and bit her face! Ofcorse NSAL wouldnt take the dog back so my father found a new owner for it, he wasnt going to keep a dog who kept attacking his children and he did tell NSAL of that, yet they had never evaluated the dog for any temperament issues and let the dog go with a family with small children and for there mistake they did not approve my parents application for a new dog severl years after that. One of there careless mistakes and then 3 denials later, i am fed up and disgusted by NSAL. I have seen people who are clearly not fit to care for another living being for the next 15 -20 years and are yet given pets. Considering the fact that i had applied to volunteer and then called in, 5 months later!! i am so glad i turned them down in the end. There is no way i would be able to deal with the rude employees who dont give a damn about the animals actual well being!

• Sh
      27th of Oct, 2011

I've had exactly the same kinds of experiences with National Mill Dog Rescue in Peyton, CO. I was a volunteer for them, had an approved application and approved home visit; but when I chose a dog to adopt, they refused to let me adopt--but wouldn't tell me why. When I questioned them, they first ignored my questions, then ordered me not to come on their property, then blocked my email address, ignored phone requests, threatened to call the police on me at a public event when I asked to speak to the director, and threatened me with a lawsuit if I don't "go away." And I still have NO IDEA why any of this happened. It has been enlightening to read these complaints because NMDR makes North Shore sound like the perfect rescue organization. NMDR is partnered with NSAL who just recently gave NMDR a huge truck. NMDR "rescues" dogs from MO and KS and then drives many of the dogs to NSAL. I can't imagine what is costs just in gasoline to drive to New York and back 1 to 4 times a month. NSAL also gets dogs that NMDR no longer wants. I just found that out today from their Facebook page. If NMDR needs to partner with a bigger organization, it would make more sense to partner with Best Friends--they are much closer to Colorado than is New York!

• Ho
      11th of Jul, 2012

A puppy recently had surgery from North Shore Animal League, and was staying at the veterinary hospital I work at (in their ICU). They said the dog was not yet adoptable, because it was recovering from surgery. I stayed with the dog for hours while it was recovering from its procedure, and I fell in love. I offered to foster the dog for free (which is pretty common at our place...and they said they MAY be looking for a foster), with intent to adopt after recovery. They told me that I could not do it. This was before I even filled out an application! They told me that the dog is a "high profile adoption", and that they will "market" the dog to pay for its care on their website (the care was already paid for). So they basically wanted to milk out money for this dog that would have already had a home. I work with one of their doctors and told them I will use him a reference, and they didn't care. I really don't understand that...If I took the dog, they could find another animal to occupy the cage, thus meaning having more room for another dog that can potentially be adopted. Instead of finding a home for the dog, they were worried about how much money they can make off of it. UNBELIEVABLE! I lost all respect for these people and will never adopt an animal there!