North Shore Animal League America — Be very aware of the animals you get from North Shore
On Saturday August 18th I adopted a puppy from the mobil unit of North Shore Animal League. When I took the puppy she had very bad diarrhea I returned to the mobile unit the same day to ask about this. I was told it was because she had just been spay. I trusted what they told me and took the puppy into my home of which I have a 3 and 5 year old. On Monday Aug 20 my husband and I took her to the vet and she was placed on medicine for her diarrhea and a stool sample was to be tested. I was told by the vet that if she had any worms I would be notified the following morning. Tuesday Aug 21 I received a call from the vet telling me to get the dog away from my children IMMEDIATELY and to put her outside in a quarantine area. She had not only hookworms but Giardia. Giardia is a parasite that is very easily transmitted to people and can cause dehydration and death in the elderly and children. Needless to say I was terrified. I put the puppy outside in her crate and went to the vet to get the medicine she needed. Once there I began to ask more about Giardia. She would have it for up to 4 weeks and everything she came in contact with while sick had to be cleaned with bleach and water. She could not go to the bathroom on the grass because Giardia can survive for up to 6 weeks in the right conditions and she would have to be kept away from everyone while sick. Giardia is highly contagious and it not visible to the naked eye, it is transmitted via water and feces. It a dog has it, licks their butt then licks your mouth you got it. If she sat on one of her toys and you touch it then put your hand by your mouth, you got it and ready for this. ONCE YOU HAVE IT, YOU HAVE IT FOR LIFE!!!. You can take meds but it just controls it, it does not kill it. Well that same day I called North Shore, I explained that the puppy was very sick and there was no way I could keep her especially not around my children. I was told to bring her back BUT I had to take her to Long Island, I live in NJ and had no way to transport the puppy that far. I explained this and asked if they had a sister shelter that I could take her to, I was placed on hold then disconnected. I called back and went through the whole story again to another person, I was placed on hold then transfered to voice mail. I hung up and called back again, I again explained the story and was again disconnected. I called back again and demanded to speak with a manager, I was given Linda. She agreed to send someone to pick up the puppy. I asked if the puppy could be treated then returned to us I even offered the medicine I had just purchased. I was told they would not do that. I asked what would happen to her, I was told that she would be looked at by their vets but she would not be able to remain in the hospital until the sickness was gone, that she would be looked at and would be put back up for adoption. I said so basically you will give her to another unknowing family without treating her, I was hung up on. I called back again but was either recycled in the queue or sent to voice mail. A nice man came to pick up the puppy later that night. I just want everyone to be very aware of the animals you get from North Shore. They are adopting out animals they KNOW are sick and do not care about who they infect.