New York City Housing Authority (Nycha)

Posted:

Rude and unprofessional workers

My name is wendy and I currently reside at queensbridge houses, every since 2003 I have had problems with my roof leaking. After complaining for over a year, and still nothing was done, I decided to take them to court... And won. The problem is, is that although nycha knows that major repairs are needed in my apartment they still regard my repair request as being minimal at best. I personally think that supervision here is not adequate and pamper the needs of the employees instead of bringing queensbridge up to the standards of a viable, healthy, respected community. For example, most of the workers don't work and the ones who shows up at the apt for repairs don't have a positive regard for the person or family they serve, they are rude and unprofessional. I would like to see the federal government to come out here and see exactly where there money towards, but most of all I would like my apt to be inspected by this agency instead of nycha making the"random" selection of apt to be viewed.
Complaint comments Comments (27) Complaint country United States Complaint category Building, Construction

Comments

A  15th of Apr, 2008 by    -1 Votes
i AGRE WITH THE ABOVE COMPLAINTS. nycha IS NOT WORKING TOWARDS HELPING MINORITY HAVE A BETTER LIFE. i LIVE IN THE WILLIAMSBURG HOUSES IN BROOKLYN FOR 8 YEARS +. I HAVE REQUESTED A TRANSFER TWICE TO A THREE BEDROOM APARTMENT. MY SON IS 20 YRS OLD AND MY DAUGHTER WILL SOON TURN 13 YRS OF AGE. i LIVE IN A TWO BEDROOM APARTMENT AND BOTH OF MY CHILDREN NEED PRIVACY AND SO DO I. EVENTHOUGH I DO NOT HAVE A PARTNER LIVING WITH ME I NEED A PRIVATE PLACE FOR ME. I CAN NOT HAVE MY 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SLEEPING WITH ME AS I WAS TOLD BY THE HOUSING ASSISTANT. I SHARE WITH THE HUSING ASSISTANT ABOUT AN INCIDENT THAT I BELIEVE IT WAS EXTREME AND THEY SHOULD OF CONSIDER MY TRANSFER ASAP. I WAS IGNORE.

I WILL LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR TRANSFER UNDER NYCHA LAWS.
N  25th of Nov, 2008 by    +2 Votes
I have had this apartment availible for rent for the last two months, waiting for a young lady and her to little girls to move in with their section 8 transfer.The first month she was brought to me by a realitor she explain to me how poor the condictions were wher her section 8 was paying.She spoke about how poor the restroom was the lack of good heat and who the little girl were alway sick do to the heat issue.And the the fact that the landlord didnt care about the repairs and he was alway bothering her because of her complains.I understood and told her I would rent her my apartment because she and the girls loved the renenovations the new kitchen restroom nice refurbished hard wood floors and the space the apartment offered.That was in september.The following month I didnt here from the inspector till oct 28 he stated he would be their on the 29 between 8am and 4pm, I asked Him to call to make sure I was their and no one wasted there time and He didnt call till he was at the door, with and atitude yelling and talking to me like I was his step child.I shook it of yet I didnt think that would be enough time for the to finsih the paper work so the the family could move in by the first being it was so late in the month for and inspection but.Its seem to me like it was a setup for this deal to fall threw the cracks from what Im seeing dealing with section8 for the first time.

Well Now its Nov I get a call on the 24th say he was coming again between 8am and 9pm and he was not calling.I thought oh well that must be how they do bussiness so that that I'll be waiting their goods my day again.I wakeup aroung 6am at 745am I go across the street to get a cup of coffee.My cell phone rings at 755am its the inspector saying he's at the front door and He seem very upset.I rush back across the street to the house where theirs a man standing in my hall way.I ask what time it was and he then started yelling and saying that he didnt have time for this sh!t and if I was going to let him in to inspect the apartment or he would leave.I ask his name he gave no answerand began yelling bizzar things again.I said to this man why are you acting in this manner when I havent done or said anything to desevre this treatment what wrong.He replyed just open the door so could do the inspection.Never once did he identify Him self.

So I should him the place.He looked around and while looking he make a few comments one was about the radiators not haveing a gromit around the pipe on the floor.And the a part of the floor had to be replaced which was only a spot that was hard to reach in a conner behind the radiator that I was on able to reach.I thought OK.And made another comment about the valve knobs being old.

After this I asked if the place had passed of failed.He reply speak to the renter I then said Arent you going to tell me isnt that your job.And Boy did he get upset.I aw he was upset so I asked Him what his name was he reply why do you want me name.I said is their a problem and why cant you tell me your name, he turn his back to me and started walking out.Being I had my camera in my pocket I took his picture and he got upset again asking my you took my pic.I explainded I do know who you are and I fell Im going to have to make a complaint.

In 5mintues My cell phone rings, their another person the managerfrom his office I asked his name he said his name was a mr.Cauldestine saying I threadin the inspector.I explained I never said a word to that man I asked his name I ask him whats time it was and that he was being very nasty never reveiled how he was and showed up at 755am mad seeming to be mad because I was not thier when he knocked.The manager then said to me well didnt you know he was coming, which again I found to be again unproffessional.I then asked mr.Cauldestine what that Inspectors name was because the inspector later said his name was mr Sanders after he got in his car I took a picture of his plates mr.Claudestine said the inspectors name was something defferent he said his name was mr Coetosh. Could some one please look in to this matter and please get back to me.

The person who is in danger of looseing this beautifull apartments Name is Miss.Robin Fudge V#0471173, case worker is mrs.Hill or mrs. Spinger.I am mr.Cooke.

Sorry for this issue.Thanks Marvin Cooke 9176428180 please call.
N  5th of May, 2009 by    +1 Votes
i am a tenant of the Linden houses i have a complaint about Ms. Hardware the rent agent for bld. 5 she refuses to take my documentation because my domestic partner abandoned me and the apt in 2007 she has given me problems i have no knowledge of where he is she tells me oh well nothing she can do about accepting this years income she accepted last years and all other documentation given to her by social services every marshalls notice comes in both our names i am on the lease but she is very hard to work with she has a terrible attitude every piece of mail sent to 245 wortman apt 8n is addressed to William Cooper whereabouts unknown and Sherrill Howard myself who resides alone in apt 8n of said location pleas advise me as to what department i should address my complaint to.
N  19th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Ms. howard, i live n linden houses too. im n building 8. if you want to make a complaint, call this number (212) 306-3650.
N  16th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
hi i am a tenet at a nycha apt in brooklyn kingsbourogh houses for over the pass ten years. in this time threw out the years i have ask my office about tranfering me out of kingsbourogh to another housing development, and they never help or what it seems to be very clear they just dont care. my building is drug infested along with all the rats and roaches lack of repairs ect. who or what is the best approach in the transfering process. due to the hate and all the negativity and stress full situations i really need answers.

so why is it so difficult to tranfer from one bourogh to another.
A  4th of Jun, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I want to take NYCHA to court. I like in a private apartment complex, but my mother lives in Douglass Houses. There is a rodent infestation, severe need of painting, and linouem replacement, and the bathroom is in ill condition. I keep on complaining and complaing, but nothing is done. So I am reporting this to the Dept. Of Health. Then, I'm taking those [censor] to court. I also want to start a class action lawsuit against NYCHA.

Anybody interested please email me @ mocaba1987@aim.com
A  22nd of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
i live in sethlow housing in brooklyn and i asked for a transfer 1 year ago but every time i call my management office they tell me its going to be a long wait my son and i have chronic asthma and theres a rodent infestation its really bad my son is always sick they eat and climb on everything ! we are terrified becase they always come out under the couches...and the stove i even found one on top of my table ! theres chipped paint and to top it off i liove on the 16th floor and both elevators are constantly broken ! dont know what to do ! very depressed i called the dept of health but its been 2 weeks waiting to hear from them ...anybody have any ideas on what to do to get them to move me out of this development fast? thanks
N  15th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
I currently live in Riis houses in manhattan there is heat and hot water and the building is fairly clean the only problem that I am havinging is a neighbor contiously scrapes a ladder or table across the floor at any time day or night total disrespect for me and my family.I was informed that this is a part of a relgeious practice by a housing assistant when I lived in Mitchel houses in the Bronx The tenant at that time was told by the housing assistan to use a rug and a small place in the apartment, the tenant refused and I had to move, which was a great imposition for my child and my self. This is very annoying. I was then told to go through meadeation and to call the police I did this and nothing was done I had to move. It is very clear that these practices are taking place with little reguard for the people who must indure it we the quiet tenants are not being treated fairly and I do not want to move again with my child.Something must be done.normal noise is fine but there should be a limit to what is exceptable behaveor I should not be the one who has to move.There should be rules to reliogus pratices. and i will continue to fight for the peace that every tenant deserves tenants should not have to indure other people s relgious belief to where it is escalating into other tenants apartments.I am christan and I do not play gospal music so loud to annoy others Thanks.
N  20th of Oct, 2010 by    +1 Votes
OCTOBER 20 2010

VE GOODMORNING TENTANTS, MY NAME IS MS. STARKS
I'VE BEEN GOING THROUGH THE SAME PROMBLEMS IN ALBANY HOUSING. ME AND MY TWO CHILDREN AGES 10 & 6 HAVE BEEN LIVING THERE FOR APPROX. 5 YRS . I'VE NEVER REALLY HAD ANY PROMBLEMS UNTIL I WAS LAID OFF MY JOB IN 2009. I TURNED IN ALL OF MY DOCUMENTS STATING I WAS LAID OFF THE HOUSING MANAGER CLAIMED I NEVER DID SO I SHOWED THE COPY TO HER MANAGER SHE SAID SHE WOULD HELP ME THAT [censor] LIED THROUGH HER TEETH SHE CALLED SOCIAL SERVICES ON BE STATING I JEPORIDIZED MY CHILDREN AND THESES PPL DONT EVEN FIX REPAIRS. THEY HAVE TAKIN ME TO COURT FOR NON PAYMENT OF RENT BUT I REFUSED TO PAY IT BC THE JUDGE ODERED THEM TO FIX THE REPAIRS AND THEY REUSED TO THEY PAINTED OVER THE MOLD EVEN THOUGH THE JUDGE TOLD THEM IT NEEDS TO BE TREATED. I'VE NOTICED I'VE MADE SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO HAVE MY ISSUES LOOKED INTO AND THERE IS NO HELP NO WHERE THEY FEEEL LIKE EVERYONE WHOM LIVES IN HOUSING ARE BUMS OR JAIL BIRDS SOME PPL WHO LIVE IN HOUSING ARE GREAT PPL ITS JUST WE CANT AFFORD TO LIVE NO WHERE ELSE THE CITY SUPPLIES THE HOUSING WITH A LAWYER AT COURT AND WE RECIEVE PAPER WITH NON WORKING NUMBERS OR A GET YOUR SELF PREPARED TO WAIT ALL DAY FOR THEM TO SAY WE DONT SERVICE YOUR ZIP CODE WHAT NEXT FOR ALL THE FAMILIES THAT LIVE IN NYCHA. WE KEEP COMPLAINING ITS TIME FOR US TO STAND UP TO MANAGEMENT MAKE SOME NOISE BEACAUSE DONT DESERVE THIS TYPE OF TREATMENT NO LONGER
N  28th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
Hi My name is Doreen I have been living in the same apartment since 1983 my daughter was born in 1990 I put in for a transfer to a bigger apartment when she was about 7 years old because I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety as well as a sleeping disorder. So my daughter needed her own room so she could get proper sleep and I wouldn't have panic attack. When my daughter was 16 she got pregnant so I called the manager and asked why am I still waiting for a bigger apt he said because I wanted to be transferred into the same building I had to wait for a available apartment the turn out in this building was not good. In the mean time I have been diagnosed with a rare form of R.A. my apartment is molding, constantly wet, my food can not be put in the cabinest because of moisture problems. My RA and Depression are very bad. Finally i was called for a transfer to a bigger apartment but it was not in my development they took me to a place that was disguting, so i said well why are we here you said that the reason i been waiting 16 years for a transfer is because I wanted to stay in the same development, he then said that they don't do that, I said that's a lie i have been living in this building since it was built and have seen some people been transferred 3 times. At this time there was a 2 bedroom apartment available on the same floor that I now live. well i turned down the transfer my daughter now has 2 children so there are 5 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment. I still have the moisture in the apartment, the mildew which i clean but that does nothing, my apartment smells like the sewer which is a shame since I have such a nice apartment. My tiles are broken, my door is broken, my bones are aching to no end, my depression has worsen to the point where all i do is cry. I cant take the overcrowding I love my grandchildren but I am getting old and they are driving me and my husband insane. I had the maintenance guy come look at all the problems and he informed me that because housing is broke they will not be doing anything major and that I would have to live with the problems. I would really like to take housing to court my daughter needs her own apartment because I can no longer live with her and i can't deal with the pain, anxiety, panic attacks can someone please tell me what I have to do.
A  29th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
I have two girls 2 months old and a 8 year old and a boy age 2 years old and my housing assisstant denied me for three bedrooms my rooms are small my manager look at my application for a second and denied quick.
N  27th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
Wow I fealt as if we were the only family faced with horrible service at the hands of nycha. I am living in harlem river houses in manhattan the manager their is unkind and never stays up to date with her paper work. my apartment has leaks when it rains this was known prior to my moving there. the bathroom has drop celling that leaks anf rhe place is infested with mice. the manager has her staff lie for her all the time. I amvdisabled and need a new apartment the manager has personal issues with me And i am in process if taking them to court also filed complaint with human rights commision. they say my problem is not structural but the entitre top floors have been vancant for years the management over at harlem river is the worst. Is anyone aware of where to make complaints about housing workers besides nycha and their borough office. my email is lenoxparty@yahoo.com
N  4th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
I live at 830 Douglas Housing, i had an horrible leak. It took 6 months to fix. I had a jack hammer in my apartment. Guys broke two wall and remove 3 pips. After such, the upstairs bathroom starts leaking, It was like my bathroom was raining. It took them 3 months to fix. Found out toilet upstairs was leaking. Did not know what type of water falling at that time. I was told my bathroom ceiling need a brick layer - reason - eventually the ceiling will fall in. I put in tickets for my floors and the bathroom ceiling. my ceiling 5 times - tickets cancel all 5 times with my knowledge, no reason when call. My floors the samee things. this have been happening for the pass year. I did not cancel any tickets. my complex office keeps canceling tickets. I work and cannot keep taking days off for them to inspect the samee situation over and over, getting the same result ---they keep sending people to inspect the samee job over and over. i need someone to help, help, help. my e-mail krlnlawrence@yahoo.com.
A  21st of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
I live in morris houses in the Bronx I share a two bedroom apartment with my 11 year old daughter and a 5 year old daughter whom is disabled I share my bedroom with my disabled daughter but there is just no space with all her equipment and all what are my rights what should I do when I first moved in I submitted all the documents showing my daughters disabilities and it was ignored
N  29th of Oct, 2013 by    0 Votes
You're lucky to even have a home to complaint about. I applied 2010. Chose my developement in 8/2012. Got called to see an apartment and was told that I have to wait on another interview since I had a new baby and the boy and girl can not share a room, mind that they're both under 5 and we live in a room at a shelter for 2 years. Imagine that.
N  31st of Dec, 2013 by    0 Votes
I live across the street from the Park Rock Houses on Sterling Place and Ralph Avenues. There is no pace to properly store the garbage that they place out for collection. Garbage is put in store hand bags and placed in front of a tree. The wind blows and the debris blows around the neighborhood causing the neighborhood to look like a third world country. When you ask the maintenance workers and supervisors responsible for keeping the place clean they do not respond. These tenants should not have to live like this nor should I. Please have someone take a look at this especially on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays after the garbage is collected. They need a proper storage for the garbage and ensure a cleaning crew cleans after the garbage is picked up.
N  8th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
I live in O'Dwyer Gardens in Coney Island, and besides the constant violence that seems to be always going on, the maintenance worker for my building is very nasty, he only speaks to the other Spanish speaking residents, and the building is not kept up well. I know there is so much he can do and that there are some nasty residents who urinate in the elevators or spit on the buttons, just living like savages. At times I feel like I am living in a war zone. There is a neighbor in my building who ridiculously blasts her music day in and day out. She fights with her boyfriend all of the time and is very nasty and vulgar, but because housing receives their monies for her rent directly from public assistance, they refuse to do anything to her. I have become severely depressed since moving here in 2008 and I am currently seeking a way out. It is atrocious what is allowed to go on in NYCHA complexes across the city, rampant drugs, unruly residents and crime. I follow the rules and play by the book and it seems like I am suffering.
N  30th of Nov, 2015 by    0 Votes
Good evening
I went to see an apartment today November 30 at carver house located between 104 & 105 street apt 1B I met with Mr. Rodriguez who took me to see a studio apartment in very poor conditions it had bird poop all over the walls in the whole apartment, rat poop and dead large roaches when I asked him if all would get fixed he told me he didn't know they might fix some things tiles on floor the bathroom was in very poor condition the kitchen stove burnt the refractors broken no light fixtures no plug outlets garage out side the widows we went back to his office I informed him I sent a letter by my doctor to nacho in fordham road requesting I get a one bedroom not studio and he told me well nothing we can do to help you then he brought in Ms. George whom was very rude and told me to sign the paper I was refusing the apartment and to write down in the paper I refused because I wanted senior living I am only 62 years old I never requested senior living all I wanted was help the apartment was in horrible conditions so I had no choose the way they told me but to sign the paper I have never been treated this way in my life I was a housing employee for many years and got treated like a bag of garage I left there crying . can someone help me and please send my application to mott haven house please do not terminate me I have been waiting for 10 years
respectfully yours
Olga camacho
A  11th of Dec, 2015 by    0 Votes
I live in linden houses and have a sect o on 8 voucher. I have been living in linden for 4 years and was greatful for having my apartment in the begining until I realized how disgusting it is.the stair cases are always smelly and filled with urine feces and spit.you take the elevator and you have to stand in one spot and dont dare touch the walls.the hallways smell the walkways surrounding the buildings are littered and dog feces everywhere.the wprkers that are paid to clean seem to get away with being paid just to half do their job.now i am requesting to take my voucher to a private landlord and have been gicen the run around and waiting game for the past 2 months.i regret not going to a private landlord instead of nycha.at the time nycha was way more affordable for my moving expenses instead of having to pay $1700 3 ways to move into an apartment.if i knew what me and my children would be subjected to I would have borrowed the money i needed to move into a better place.now im afraid I will be stuck on the transfer waiting list with my section voucher for another few years.my housing assistant is ms mcdade and she does not seem to do her job and neither does her manager ms smalls.these people are being paid to do nothing except go to lunch and drive fancy cars while we suffer and have to live in horrible unsanitary and unsafe conditions.something needs to be done.
N  26th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
I am file this complaint to N.Y.C.H.A. That didn't came on january 25, 2016. Between 8 am - 12 pm. I was here all day. However, if i was not here. My brother was here if they came. They didn't leave any notice, if they were here. I will continued filing the complaint. I will be nagging.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree

NYC Housing Authority (NYCHA) Logo NYC Housing Authority (NYCHA)
Customer Care Service