National Park Reservations / Don't get duped into using their service!

Don’t use this reservation agency. They are not affiliated with the US National Parks. They make reservations with hotels which the consumers can easily make without paying the 10% reservation fee. One my first call, they made the reservation with the wrong hotel (twice as expensive), which I discovered only after I got my credit card bill. After I called them back, they corrected the reservation (so it was with the right hotel) but double-charged my credit card. I called back gain, and was put on hold for long periods and handed from rep to rep -- no one was willing to help me. I finally talked to the manager. At this point I just wanted to end my troubles by canceling the reservation, but the manager refused.

In addition to a vacation almost ruined by this agency, I was treated with disrespect and rudeness. I’m now stuck with disputing the double charges and the reservation fee.

This operation was poorly run with questionable ethical standards. Don’t get duped into using their service!

Comments

• Ks
      22nd of Sep, 2008

These place is so fraudulent. Stupid me, when I googled Yosemite Lodge this place came up as the place to make reservations for all National Parks. Stupid me, I didn't read the fine print!! I had booked a room at Yosemite Lodge in April, come September and I find out this horrible place had actually booked me into the Wawona Hotel-one hour from the Yosemite Valley floor. My reservation said Yosemite Lodge. I was celebrating my 65th birthday. The manager at the Yosemite Lodge just laughed at me. Apparently this site is famous for screwing its customers. Beware-It was like booking a room in San Francisco and ending up in Oakland!!!
    However, on the plus side, they park management was doing a controlled burn on the valley floor and the smoke was horrendous-my husband has COPD so the Wawona turned out to be a plus-and the management and workers were so much nicer than the Yosemite Lodge's where they smirked at my misfortune.

• Dm
      25th of Mar, 2011

Avoid National Park Reservations, contact Parks and Hotels DIRECTLY and save yourself 10% non-refundable fees (not clearefied that it's IN ADDITION to park fees and taxes) and headache from getting wrong reservations. Just had bad experience with them. Disrespectful. I received wrong reservation and as soon as I got it I cancelled it, but got charged 10% ($177). They made me feel small: After I complained about my case they said "We provide reservations for 39 national parks, and you should read all the terms etc."
    I can Google how many parks are in US, don't give me lecture on how important you are... Then I made reservation by directly contacting the park and had a very pleasant and saticfing experience.

• Na
      28th of Jun, 2013

Other than for advertising purposes, National Park Reservations, Inc. (NPR) does not appear to be interested in the condition of the properties they represent. Customer satisfaction does not appear to be their priority, even though NPR charges the vacationer 10% of the total reservation fee just to make the reservation. The service I received from NPR could have been satisfactory with minimal effort on their part. From NPR, I rented a vacation home for a week’s stay in June 2013 near Shenandoah National Park. National Parks Reservations is a private company. They are not an authorized concessionaire of any National Park nor are they in any way affiliated with the National Park Service of the Federal Government. They make reservations on behalf of their “customers” around the United States National Parks. NPR is only a middleman between the vacationer and the property owner, like LionCrowCabins.com.

To start with in addition to providing the property address, NPR could improve their service by providing the vacationer with a phone number for the on-site property manager. NPR told me the address they gave me was for the rental office and someone would be there when we arrived. With the help of a GSP, I found the “rental office”; it was a personal residence and the only one there was a big angry dog. After knocking on several other doors in rural mountain Virginia, and stopping a car in the road to ask for assistance, one of the local residents called the property manager to let him know we were looking for him. If I had a phone number, my first impression of the property would have been much more positive.

While the property appeared very nice, it has some construction flaws. For example, in order to turn on the main light in master bed room, a total of three different switches have to be on. It took several days before I figured this out. Light switches are minor compared to flooding. When it rains, and it rains often in Virginia, the property can flood, and it flooded during our stay. After discovering an inch of water throughout the down stairs master bedroom and bath, we called the property manager. “I know what the problem is” were his first words after being told. If the property manager knew the property could flood when it rains, the property should never have been offered for rent until the problem was fixed.

After we got back home, we called NPR to complain about the flooding and our dissatisfaction with their service. NPR said they would investigate our accusations and get back in touch with us. Only the property manager from Lion Crow Cabins called us. No one from NPR has contacted us regarding our stay, despite the fact that we had a contract with them and paid them a fee.

There are many other vacation rental property that are much nicer and much closer to Shenandoah National Park. If you rent from National Park Reservations, Inc. or Lion Crow Cabins, beware; you might be very disappointed.