MTN South Africa / poor service

South Africa Review updated:

I've been complaining since taking out my contract in 2011 July about various issues with my phone. The problems ranged from poor data service, unable to make or receive calls with full signal to software corruption. After the last time my phone crashed I took it to the store and they returned to me an apparent "new" phone that was even more problematic than my current one, on closer inspection I discovered that it was a refurbished model. I took it back again to the store and they just advised me that there is nothing they can do as MTN's policy is to swap out with refurbished phones 6 months after issuing a contract. They refuse to offer more assistance than to replace me once again with a refurbished phone with no guarantee around its reliability.

Comments

• Lu
      30th of Sep, 2013

I hereby reporting poor customer service about MTN branch at Westwood. I went to the store last months asking to buy Cell Phone on contract but they rejected me for bad credit record and when I asked for credit report from S.A Credit Report institution they sent me a report with good credit record. I tried calling them today and they payed no interest on my case and I asked them to call me back three time but nothing have been done. Please kindly clarify for me, if this is your way of dealing with new customers or if you regard this act as customer satisfaction because my definition of customer satisfaction is totally different.

• Mt
      27th of Aug, 2015

MTN is a useless service provider. You phone them no answer, you email them no response. My phone is insured with MTN, it damaged and I have been struggling for almost three weeks to get help. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!! I even went to one of their branches thinking maybe they have a direct connection to the insurance division. What I was told was utter nonsense, she said there is nothing she can do at the branch and for me to get help I must go to MTNs head office...This is unacceptable. I pay my premiums on time every month. I do not go to their head office to pay these premiums so why should I go there for them to fix my phone? This is highly disappointing. The service is shocking!!!