To whom It May Concern

Clients using MRI furniture packages please be aware, I Brought an Apartment with MRI at the time when the market was strong.The complex was recently completed, and the furniture was paid in full over two years ago, They are now asking for 20 per cent more before they will install Claiming this is a Goventment Vat which
is fair enough, But surely this amount should of been put on the invoice at the time, How many clients have paid for there furniture then to be told to pay the extra cost, other wise they will not install !! Not only that, they also refuse to reply to my emails, Like to hear from anyone in the same situation.

A  13th of Feb, 2009 by
This has also happened to us and we are furious, we were told that we had to pay 2 years ago as they had to order it immediately if they had handed over the money to the supplier when they said they were going to we would not now be faced with a VAT charge. What have they been doing with the money for the past two years and why should we pay VAT now when there was no mention of it when we believed we had 'bought' the furniture pack?
N  18th of Feb, 2009 by
Where is it that you have bought and when?
A  19th of Feb, 2009 by
This has happened to us too - having been urged to pay in full for furniture pack back in August 2007 to ensure they was no delay in installation - we completed and started paying our mortgage in October 2008 - despite chasing MRI to install the furniture we had no luck - they told us the snagging was not done - the lawyers cintacted the developer who confirmed the flat was complete. we actually went out to Bulgaria and visited the development - the flat was complete and the developer told us many mri customers were having the same problem - we continued to wait and then on 17/2 received an email stating we needed to pay VAT of 1559 euros or the furniture would not be installed and that there is no refund available !!!
Has this happened to anyone else -please communicate
N  19th of Feb, 2009 by

we have started to combine groups now and are collecting people's stories and statements of their experience with this company, CFP and the solicitors legal Independence. We are all people who are going through the same ordeal. There is a member who has worked very hard to recognition from their MP and MEP. These in turn are contacting the OFT and others.

Anyone else who feels lost in this, please get in touch and add your story to help prove there are many people who have been misled by these companies.

It is called the MRI Support group.

A  20th of Feb, 2009 by
The MRI aftersales furniture packages were advertised and sold at the time with the following description:
'We provide the best, most hard wearing and most comprehensive furniture and accessories and our packs are fully inclusive of delivery, installation, cleaning and VAT.'
The inclusion of VAT on the packages is clearly stated and were bought with this understanding.
MRI are now trying to add 20% Vat onto the purchases made up to two years ago amounting to the sum of €1, 559.
A  20th of Feb, 2009 by
I totally agree, had the same problem with MRI LI and CFP. I have lost thousands.
N  20th of Feb, 2009 by
MRI Overseas Property are also Trading as DCC Internationl Property.

See their website:

Darragh is now operating using a smoke screen.

Be warned from MRI & DCC.

Please advise others and spread the word.
A  20th of Feb, 2009 by
An undercover investigation giving a behind the scenes insight into the international property company MacAnthony Realty International. Jonathon Maitland talks to customers who feel their investments didn’t live up to what they were promised.

One customer says she was sold an apartment on a development she was told would be Frontline Golf, but she later discovered another building had sprung up between her development and the golf course. She also says she was told she would have access to the nearby golf course but later learnt it was exclusive to another development.

Another client tells Tonight he was told by a sales rep for MacAnthony Realty that he would make more than 30, 000 euros in just 18 months on his investment in an apartment in Spain. He says the rep also told him specific facilities including three golf courses would be built nearby but these never materialised.

But four years have passed and he is struggling to rent it out. Regardless of potential increase in paper valuation he has been unable to sell it. He is worried he won’t be able to keep up on his mortgage payments.

As part of the programme Tonight sends a reporter undercover to MRI’s offices in Spain to experience training as a telemarketer for the company. She gets an interesting behind the scenes insight.

MRI Statement

"MRI Overseas Property is by far the most recognised and respected name in our industry with over 25, 000 satisfied customers, none of whom was asked to take part in this programme.

MRI categorically deny that we deliberately misrepresent facts or that we resort to hard sell tactics. All our clients visit the countries we offer properties in and have opportunities to see for themselves everything that is available.

There are many people who have purchased properties as investors and speculators who suffered because of the downturn in the global economy. MRI are sorry for their predicament but we cannot accept responsibility or blame for their actions. Even so, MRI has a proven track record of going beyond its obligations to assist clients who may find themselves in difficulty.

98% of our clients are buyers of holiday homes for themselves and their families and are delighted with the services MRI provides and the support we continue to give.

MRI is proud to offer the very best in overseas property and thank all our clients who have given their 100% support to our organisation."

www.naea.co.uk – National Association of Estate Agents

www.aipp.org.uk – Association of International Property Professionals

www.fsa.gov.uk – Financial Services Agency

A  5th of Mar, 2009 by
Hi I am in the same boat regards extra 20%vat I also paid over two years ago for two packages one was fitted two years ago without the extra 20 % and feel legal independance are no help so I would be glad of any ideas on this Martin in Dublin
N  11th of Mar, 2009 by
why are MRI, DCC and Solutions Overseas still allowed to trade???

my friend and i seem to have lost 30k each

i have contacted Watchdog, national press and other T.V programmes, and nobody seems to be interested

it seems that because Darragh MacAnthony is the chairman of Peterborough football club, that he can do no wrong!!!

this man and his 'companies' have caused me sleepless night, loss of money and made me ill

how does he sleep at night

if anybody wishes to contact me - please do

N  17th of Mar, 2009 by
We bought in Bansko with mri and now they are refusing to install our furniture until we pay %20 VAT.
They say pay or lose it all ( furniture and money )
This is a con and a rip off... they made a mistake and need to suck it up!!!
A  26th of Mar, 2009 by
Lost €3, 000 as a deposit in Oct 2007. Unit in Perun Lodge was not secured after me as Legal Independence did not transferred money to developer right in time. At list this is what I’ve been told by MRI aftersales. I requested return of my money in Jan 2008. They bounce me between aftersales in Spain and independent solicitors in Sofia since May 2008 without any visible result. I‘ve got long list of e-mails, logged phone calls and names of people that I was in contact with since then. Would join your support group with hope MRI will get what they deserve or at list guard people from same mistake- trying to do business with MRI.
Dmitri Shirobokov
N  5th of Apr, 2009 by
still waiting2 years for some furniture from mri furniture supplier jose and oliver in portugal and still not geting anyware, be warned,
A  5th of Apr, 2009 by
totaly agree
A  19th of Apr, 2009 by
Like everyone else I too paid for furniture via MRI aftersales. MRI are refusing to install the furniture unless I pay an additional 20% for Vat. They are also refusing to return the money. My apartment is ready but I cannot let it out or even se it for my own holiday as it remains unfurnished . Has anyone apid up or managed to get their money back?
N  20th of Apr, 2009 by
We too have have had endless trouble with MRI in the purcahse of our properties as we have bought two properties in Bulgaria. After paying for the furniture package about two years ago and which has not yet been installed MRI are asking for an extra 20% VAT which amounts to another 1400 EURO. They have said that unless we pay it the furniture will not be installed. Hence we cannot spend our holidays in the property or rent it out.

I am very reluctant to pay any more money to MRI as I have heard rumours that they are going bankrupt.

Although I don't think this is legal for MRi to charge us extra now. Can anyone advise if they have paid the extra money and if the furniture was actually installed.
N  28th of Apr, 2009 by
Hi we are in the exact same position regarding the furniture package for an apartment we bought in Bulgaria. I found this link on the following website

This webpage actually shows the original webpage from the MRI website which has since been removed but which clearly states the following:

"The emphasis is on creating packs that include absolutely everything from cleaning to VAT to give you an apartment you can walk straight into - with NO hidden charges. We strongly recommend organising a furniture package well in advance of completion."

I think it is a disgrace that they are now charging for "VAT" and incl a "hidden charge"...

Anybody have any thoughts on what can be done...in general people seem to be paying the additional fee and getting their furniture installed...disgrace all the same...
A  28th of May, 2009 by
We have bought two properties on the Silver Mountain Complex in Bulgaria and are completely dissatisfied with MRI, we have not yet paid the final payment. Our issues are
1) We were told that financing the balance via a Bulgarian mortgage was a formality, now the time has come a Bulgarian mortgage is not available. If we fund from the UK the exchange rate adds 30% to the final payment
2) We were led to expect growth of up to 30% prior to completion, in reality there has been no growth whatsoever in fact the appartment is probably wort less than half the purchase price.
3) Legal independance is not I believe independant.

There are many other points and issues to raise, does anyone else feel the same or has had simmilar problems?
A  31st of May, 2009 by
We are in the same boat, they are wanting 2, 000.00 euros VAT for our furniture package 2years down the line. how can this be legal, I have a receipt stating I owe
0 euros. please tell me they cannot claim this money after all this time

W Poulter, Harrogate
N  15th of Aug, 2009 by
I bought two studios in Bulgaria from MRI and paid for the furniutre package two years ago and I paid the extra 20% vat in May. the furniture was installed in one without the extra vat and the furniture has not been installed in the other one.

They are not responding to my e-mails does anyone know if MRI are still trading or have they gone bankrupt. I think I have lost my money.

They also installed the wrong furniutre in the other studio