Morgan & Pottinger / Scam

This company procured Morgan and Pottinger of Louisville, Kentucky to draft a lawsuit against me for an account I have absolutely no clue as to what is going on. I contacted the lawyer's office and no return calls except for a lady named Cindy and not even her. So far, nobody is talking. Neither this office nor palisades. With no working # and no contact us. Something is fishy and perhaps the lawyer's office may be being scammed as well. The name of the agency doesn't mean squat if the company they are representing is not listed with it. The consumer doesn't have to have a high-faulting degree in finance to know that they do have the right to know who is contacting the collection agency in the first place. I have never heard of palisades collections and they do not appear on any of the bills of the companies I am dealing with period. this company needs to be reported to whatever governing agency oversees collection agencies, attorney general's office or whoever. Besides, do the employees of this agency keep up on their bills too?

Va

Comments

• Tr
      18th of Aug, 2008

i was served by them last week and have not been able to reach them on either number they gave from 5 to 8 pm tues thru thurs.

• Sm
      22nd of Jan, 2009

If you go to court and make payment arrangements. Make sure you pay through the county clerks office. Morgan&Pottinger attorney will intimidate you not to do it, but do pay through the clerks office.

Important!! DONOT allow them to know your bank routing number and your account number and always pay the clerk with cash and keep all reciepts and retain payments and reciepts printouts from the clerks office.

• Re
      8th of Sep, 2009

They stated they filed a judgment against me & according to our county website and by verbal verification with the courts, they have not filed anything yet. They would only allow me to break the "settlement payments" of (which was 1/2 of the total balance) by two months. This is because, again, of the so-called judgment against me. They would accept monthly payments on the full amount, but then it would still show on my credit report as a judgment. If I was able to pay the settlement amount (which would have been about $800/mo) then it wouldn't show up as a judgment. How in the world are you supposed to pay this amount on unemployment and with children to feed?

• Tn
      22nd of Sep, 2009

They just filed Suit against me, and they put a Levy on my bank account. Be aware of these people, they will take every penny you have and they dont care if you have children to take care of. They are mean people. Trust me, I was making payments and my spouse got sick and I missed 2 payments and now they have put a levy on my bank account, so any money goes in they take, and they dont care if you have checks out there that need to clear, they will leave you broke. Watch out...

• Sq
      3rd of Nov, 2009

We are not mean people. We are people doing our job. We have our own debts we have to pay just as you all do. The bottom line is we are doing OUR JOB!! The thing no one is understanding is we give everyone a chance to pay or make arrangemnts before the lawsuit gets filed but we get hung up on or screamed at... we have no choice most of the time. You will find though, if you work with us we will do our best to work with you.

• Sk
      22nd of Jun, 2010

Shes right. Ive been paying off a debt with them by sending 100 dollar post office money orders a month. there was even one time it went missing and i called up and worked it out. point is that if you pay your bills the first time then dont come after you and you dont have to call them jerks.

• El
      15th of Nov, 2010

Apparently their employees are so dedicated and do their job so well that they have no problem filing time-barred suits in the wrong district so they can get an easy win to start garnishment and levies even though the entire case is illegal from the start. Be careful!!! Check the dates on anything they send you and get representation; and by all means, DO NOT give them any account information. Before you give them a dime, make sure they are within the Statute of Limitations for your state. If they are outside the Statute of Limitations and you do pay them, you may be resetting the clock for collections. This doesn't seem to matter to their company, but they could end up owing you money if they have filed an illegal suit or false garnishment. Just don't sit around and do nothing. That's what they're hoping for. They use scare tactics like hiring Sheriff's deputies to scare you. Don't fall for it and call an attorney.

• St
      16th of Mar, 2011

They are putting liens on everything I dont have, for a debt I dont owe, and they do noty answer their phones during any business hour I have called. As far as I am concerned they can go **** themselves. The poster who claims they are just doing their job may be correct, however just because your boss instructs you do do something a certain way does not mean it is right, or even legal. Lucky for me I dont own anything and I dont make any money (that they will ever find) I still manage a life free from paper.

The debt they are suing me over was a credit card with a limit of 500 dollars, who cut my credit limit in half to 250 when I had a balance of 350 and demanded immediate payment of the other 100 excess, which I did not have that month. After a month went by and I had that amount the cc company now wanted 250 for fees and such. Now this debt is close to 1500 dollars, and I dont care who calls or what the judge says, I refuse to pay more than 350... ever.

This collection company has ignored my phone calls, ignored my letters, and pretty much done whatever they felt like. I hope my little account is costing them a bundle because they will NEVER collect a dime from me... unless they change their ways... which seems highly unlikely.

• Bu
      5th of Nov, 2011

well i have recieved a notice from these people claiming attorney fees.for doing nothing..i never recieved a notice with a court date.but yet they tacted on there fees...im not disputing the debt.its real...living on unemployment and taking care of a handicapped son.doent leave much..as for a bank account there more then welcome to my 25.00 dollars.i have been in this before with debt. so there scare tacticks doesnt work on me..they have called 3 times twice i wasnt home...they never even left a message and the last time i said hello about 5 times and got no answer..but i will tell you this i have read all the disputes and if they do answer i have a recorder set up and will ask them if they mind being recorded and if they do mind.i will have nothing more to say to them..since my job closed down i have talked to the finance company that held the papers on my truck.and always explained to them what was going on and THEY understood...i thought...when i do get a job the money will go to file a bankrupty..i have no other choice and i will tell the other people that are having problems do the same.once it has been filed they no long can collect on the debt

• Li
      12th of Dec, 2011

I had a credit card and was making payments on it but then my husband had a terrible accident and i could not pay the payments. M and P contacted me and I made payment arrangement with them. but later I closed my accout. they never gave me any information in regards as to how to contact them. i had no phone number or address. Some months later found a letter from arrow collections about the same debt. I know that the debts are often sold to many different collection agencys so I called them. After calling about 5 different numbers I got to speak with someone about the debt. they told me that they were going to garnish my wages. the only way to stop this from happening was to pay them 2, 665.28 right then. I cancelled my life insurance to get the money (I am not able to get any other insurance due to health concerns). they did send to paperwork to garnish my wages but sent it to me instead of my employer. I then paid them in full and maided them back their paperwork. I can't believe how lucky I was that they made such a mistake.

• Pi
      29th of Dec, 2011

You ARE in fact, mean people, Morgan & Pottinger. I had a payment plan, have had one for two or three years, made every payment, every month! These are the first people with whom I have EVER had dealings who do NOT send receipts, a monthly statement, and keep jacking up the balance any time a person does speak to them. They will then argue that balance when a person has kept EVERY single check stub and receipt and knows for fact they are NOT being truthful. They decided to "break the contract/payment plan" for some reason, even though I made payments every month. I had one check sent back by them because in the envelope I included a copy of the receipt that I keep and they disagreed with the balance. Rather than keeping the check, they sent it back to me, which of course meant that I was late on a payment. I have never heard of ANYBODY who "legally" just breaks a payment plan or contract because they can and decide to collect the remaining amount owed when the payee does ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong. I have been to court once over this, agreed to pay, did pay, have continued to pay, and in return I just received a "garnishment order" from my bank. Had there been money in my account, they would have taken every penny. Morgan and Pottinger are not honest people, look at the complaints about them. I'm sure I've even read about lawsuits in which they were sued for being so dishonest. They are worse than sharks in a pool full of bloody water. I just spoke to a representative of Morgan & Pottinger and I hope to God he recorded the conversation. Pretty much every word out of his mouth was BS, when I called him on it, told him it wasn't true and I had proof of it, he acted confused, like he didn't know how to answer or what to say. They take a person to court, set up a payment plan, the plan carried out "as planned" and they just decide to "break payment plan" because they can. They want the amount in full. Well, I'm sorry. Any idiot knows that a payment plan is made for a reason. They claim they had no phone number for me which was a lie because I had contacted them numerous times, given my address and telephone number several times. They had my address, telephone number, everything, even used my address, rarely, but they did a few times to send papers to me. They didn't even send a letter to tell me they were "breaking payment plan." They just called a judge, sent a letter to my bank, now I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THEM IN COURT!!. I can't believe people. I don't know how they sleep at night. Honestly!

• Wi
      19th of Jan, 2012

my husband got a credit card in my name while I was out of state in 2008, they sent me a paper to show up to court in 2009. I went the first time and they never showed up. the second time they went to court they never did send me a paper on when to show up. They next thing I know I am getting a paper in the mail saying that my wages are being garnished. They said I owed 500 dollars to this credit card in 2009, but they are charging me 12 percent. I have been paying for three years. But these [censored]s don't care if your house burns, your husband dies in it, and you lose everything, you ever owned. All they care about is putting that money in their pockets and to hell with the small people

24th of Jan, 2012

my wife has been fighting these crooks since 2005. she had a wreck, got sued for $2800, made payments, got it paid to $1400, lost her job, got sued again, for $2400, (filing fees, court cost, 16% interest). as of today, they say she has paid almost $2900 on the $2400 settlement. im not a genius but isnt $2900 in payments overpaying by $500? butyet they say she still OWES them $750! unless the world has changed how addition and subtraction works, my 6 year old daughter can do this math... just a bunch of crooks... we have our lawyer on it, believe me...

• Su
      6th of Mar, 2012

I have the same problem with this company. I am unemployed and the only money i receive is tuition money. This company has screamed at me, called me a liar, and taken thousands of dollars from me without notifying me first. Right now they are holding my tuition money and they did not notify me before hand. I have to fight with my bank and the courts to get my money bank. They do not care about anyone or their children. All they want is their money. For those unable to contact them, here is a number that you can call and get through. 1-502-560-6700. I do not have any information on my case or nothing, and when i ask they change the subject. You may also file a challenge with the courts to get this stopped. Good luck everyone!

• Su
      10th of May, 2012

This company is a fraud, they are not representing Capital One or any other company. If you call the creditor in which you had an account with you will find out that Morgan & Pottinger are not working for them. It's time we all fight back, I have filed a lawsuit against them for the money they took from me, overdraft fee's, harrassment, and suffering. I suggest everyone tries to fight back.

• Le
      21st of Jun, 2012

student loan proceeds are exempt from garnishment . see Schaerrer v. Westman Com'n Co., 769 P.2d 1058, 1063 (Colo. 1989) ("Our examination of the federal statutory scheme reveals that Congress, by carefully circumscribing the use of garnishment to collect on defaulted student loans and prohibiting garnishment of funds in the Secretary's control, did not intend to allow free and unrestricted use of state garnishment procedures to attach the proceeds of a GSL").

you should be able to successfully set aside any garnishment order that affects student loans

• Wi
      4th of Sep, 2012

Thing is, companies such as these (collections) buy up bad debt for pennies on the dollar.

16th of Feb, 2013

Wow. Where do we begin. We were a few days late on rent. We paid the rent and fees. Received a verbal conformation that the rent and all connected late fees were rendered. Good to go. Notified 10FootCeling ETown LLC that we will move out in 30 days. No problems. 5 days after the 30 day noticed had elapsed and we had moved, we received a notice that we owe Morgan & Pottinger rent that was past due, and that we should not send the payment to 10FootCeling ETown LLC. We needed to pay them directly. The First class letter was not addressed to us. It said "Tenant" on the envelope and SIR/Madam on the letter. It also stated that we were current tenants. In the meantime, 10FootCeling ETown LLC denied us access to the payment history on the website. It also said that any current or past due rent payments must be paid to these people. In my opinion, the letter address as tenant was done so the Postal carrier would not forward this letter in order to void us of any carnal knowledge of this. We were not tenants at the time the letter was sent. Really. We will have JAG look into making sure these business get added to the "blacklist" so Soldiers will not get scammed by these people. I have conferred with several Soldiers that have informed me that they tried this exact (or a little different) tactic on Soldiers and CIV in order to try to extort money from them. They will have some pretty high authorities to answer to. I hope their business can survive without Military tenants. I'm thinking that we can get together and sue these crooks.

What? Army Guy. Really?

16th of Feb, 2013

Morgan and Pottinger. Do you think that you will do this to a Veteran? I would check the laws if I were you. There have been many Lawsuits that people have lost to Soldiers recently. JP Morgan just lost a five million dollar Law suite.