Momentum Coach Hire / Completely unacceptable

We recently hosted a corporate event in Birmingham. Momentum charged a fortune to provide Executive Coaches to transport very senior execs to and from hotel - train station - office. Vehicles were anything but executive and what we received were not what we paid for in size or in quality. The vehicles were in an appalling condition i.e. mildew growing on the inside of the coaches. We had to turn the vehicles away as they we couldn't utilise them. When we complained and asked for a refund the operations manager, Martin Hall, responded 2 weeks later with an email reading "I am really sorry that the coaches did not meet you expectations and that you were not happy with the service, but they were in our view executive minibuses and the journeys took place.

At this moment in time there will be no refund". In my mind this is completely unacceptable, we signed a contract for Exec 16 seater coaches and we never received this! Most of all I am appalled in the way we received a response.

Vo

Comments

• Am
      3rd of Mar, 2010

This company also I would like to note is not a member of its regulatory board! you will be hard pushed to find a company of its kind that is not a member.

I will repeat DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

We have been stung by them and seriously do not advise on using them.

• Br
      5th of Mar, 2010

As a coach operator in Birmingham, Momentum are a broker ~ they do not own any of there own vehicles. I would urge anyone booking a coach to go direct to a coach operator and not a broker. !!! Be warned

4th of Jun, 2010

Please take note of the warnings above - anybody thinking of hiring a coach from this company - don't even bother trying.

Ours is quite a simple story. But the result of us dealing with this company has left us some £400 out of pocket- and we are working for nothing on one of our buiest days of the year.

We were asked to organise a coach trip to the Derby for a group of people from North Kent. We secure quotes from a number of coach companies and Momentum came up with the best deal at a cost of £585. As a result we priced our trip up, advised our clients of the cost and after securing their approval paid first of all a deposit to Momentum - and then settled in full some time before the departure date.

Three days before the departure we received a phone call from Momentum saying their coach was off the road and they couldn't fulfill the contract. Three days before the date of the trip - and on one of the busiest days of the year.

When we pointed out that we had paid for a coach and as far as we were concerned we expected a coach they told us they could provide one - but that it would cost £350 more. I don't need to go into the rest of the conversations - no matter our insistence, they weren't going to provide a coach unless we paid another £350 - and if we didn't it was, well, just tough.

Their terms and conditions of hire explain that the maximum they will be held for in the event of non delivery or under delivery of the contact is the cost of the hire - in other words they can simply just say 'here's your money back' - and tough for the rest of the costs.

We have subsequently found another coach - at an additional cost of £350. We therefore will spend the day working - we'll pay our staff - and we'll end up out of pocket for the privilege.

We are so incensed about our treatment by this company - and there's apparently nothing we can do about it.

Nothing that is but warn other people not to use them.

• Ju
      19th of Jul, 2010

OUR EXPERIENCE OF MOMENTUM

Considering we had booked the coach back in April and had called and checked at least three times the week before to confirm all the details we were incensed at the catalogue of disasters that befell our day, all totally avoidable and unacceptable. The day was organised to celebrate our company's 38th birthday and is a treat from the Directors to the staff the plan was to take the staff to Thorpe Park for fun and excitement and then to Cliveden House for a lovely sophisticated lunch.

The coach was hired and fully paid for from 9am – 6.30pm

9.03 I was told the coach was caught in traffic, OK well these things happen and we had allowed for a certain amount of delay due to traffic.

9.26 When calling back I was told the coach driver was on a job at Ascot the night before and had to have a 9 hour break before driving again (this is totally unacceptable, we were booked from 9am)

9.47 I called the operations room to be told he was now 5 minutes away

10.00 The coach finally arrived, it was a really dirty with greasy windows and food on the floor as we set off the driver informed us that the air conditioning on the coach was broken. The toilet was not cleaned and the door would not lock. The exit door was unsafe one of our guests fell against it and it opened in transit (umm Health & Safety may be interested in that!). We had booked an executive coach, this was way below the standard we had expected. Momentum’s website certainly led us to believe we would have traveled in more style!

On the way to Thorpe Park the Driver got lost and cost us another ½ hour as he thought there was a low bridge and took a detour, it turned out there was no bridge. The journey surely should have been checked days if not weeks before to find these things out and prevent delays.

We ended up having such a short time at Thorpe Park that most people only managed to go on 1 ride, hardly worth the effort considering the tickets were £25 each.

The problems continued with the Driver returning late to the coach to head off for lunch as he had lost the keys in the Thorpe Park restaurant!!!

On the way to Cliveden he managed to get lost and ended up in housing estate delaying us even further.

We spent a lot of time, energy and money planning the day and it was totally ruined by Momentum’s inefficiency.

To add insult to injury I have spoken to 2 people in the company and emailed a further two and no one has got back to me with even an apology, I feel this speaks volumes.

• Kh
      16th of Aug, 2010

A company that no one should be using Momentum Coach Hire is crook.
    We booked a service with them from London to Frankfurt and paid the deposit. 24 hours before the time of departure I receive an email stating that they cant take us onboard because this wont make them profit anymore.
    I had already paid deposit for this hire.
    It left me stranded and at last minute I ended up booking an expensive coach. Last minute bookings are expensive.
    It has been nearly a month now and I have called them around 100 times and emailed them but no one has even bothered to send me my deposit back.
    A complete rip off.
    I have called them so many times that now every operator recognises my voice and as soon as I all the only answe rI get is the person dealing with it is busy and don't waste our time by calling again and again as if my time and money has no value..
    DO NOT BOOK A COACH WITH THIS COMPANY

• Mr
      16th of Sep, 2010

I recently booked a LUXURY 36 Seater coach with this shambles of a company for the Rugby League Cup Final. I paid a small deposit and was asked for the rest of the money 7 days prior to our trip. The weekend before the trip i was PESTERED for the outstanding money. I called Momentum on the monday before our trip to state i was about to pay them the final amount and asked if the LUXURY bus was still available !! They said it was all booked and ready to go for my trip. I then sent over the remainding £950.00 (total £1250.00) and received confirmation. Then i receive a call the next day from Dominic saying the coach was "OFF THE ROAD", which after looking at the reviews is standard from them !!! I asked why it was "OFF THE ROAD" and they couldn't answer me. I then was given the option of a standard 49 seater with a £250 refund. I had enough at this point and asked for a full refund and i will go elsewhere. They said to me i could have 80% of it back which was approx £950 as written in the Ts & Cs... I then had 2 days off work to find another luxury coach, to my amazement i found one for £1500.00 so i just asked Momentum to forward my money over to them and i will pay the outstanding amount of £300. They wouldn't do this for me either. I could go on for ever about the disgusting service this company provides, although where will it get anyone. Our trip to London was on a basic 49 seater coach and after i was told it takes 3-5 working days for a refund it is now the 16th Sept (3 weeks after) and i am still trying to get the refund of £250, JUST OUT OF INTEREST I HAVE SENT 2 EMAILS TO THE MANAGING DIRECTOR WITHOUT RESPONSE, AND WHEN I ASK FOR HIS/HER NAME, THE STAFF ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE IT OUT... SURPRISE SURPRISE... NEVER USE THIS COMPANY, AS THEY ARE CON ARTISTS... !!! Mr Bray Leeds

• Ta
      17th of Sep, 2010

A regular occurrence by this company, shoddy vehicles, shocking service because they subcontract the vehicles to the cheapest of the cheapest operators to make as large a margin as possible on your booking. They let people down right at the last minute - a day before or demand more money (ransom). Ask any coach operator in the UK about Momentum coach hire and they will give you their honest appraisal, not a glowing one I bet!

Be careful when booking with any travel company, do your homework, check reviews and complaints boards and you wont find yourself in the position that many others do.

I have worked in the industry and the names associated with Momentum cover a vast array!

They probably do a great deal of work and do not care about the individual jobs that go wrong, as all of you know, trying to get an answer from these jokers is a task within a task.

Good luck, and if your reading this review please don't let me be the one that says "I told you so".

• Wo
      22nd of Mar, 2011

wost company ever, charged us twice for the same booking, and then refused to give the money back, after long argument and many phonecalls they sent us a cheque £50 short. simple solution is a lesson learnt from us DO NOT USE THEM by far the rudest and most disorganised company i have ever dealt with.

• Re
      11th of Apr, 2011

Jane reidy your [censor] and a liar suggest no one uses this cowboy company

• Co
      2nd of May, 2012

Hello

Having read your comments above, i would like to raise your awareness to a new BBC 1 TV programme - The Legalizer, that is currently being put together to investigate coach brokers, there has been numerous complaints towards coach brokers and hopefully this is the breakthrough that is needed for the coach industry. If you would like to be involved and sound your views please do not hesitate to contact me via email or telephone 0800 849 9292 for discuss in more detail.

Many thanks
    CHC

• Pa
      31st of Jan, 2018

@Coach Hire Comparison Hi i have a complaint against momentum coach company, they owe me £428, and all the stressed they put me in. I am wondering if anyone has reported this company to the Watch dog ? looking at this post from 2012. we are now in 2018

• Rw
      13th of Jul, 2012

Momentum failed to fulfil the criterai of the booking I made for a short journey from hotel to church and back for the church ceremony at my son's wedding on 24th June 2012. the 49 seater coach arrived late, and the driver had to be forced to bring it to the hotel, and then he would not take the guests up the hill to the church, despite there being a side road left empty for him to turn, just above the church. Elderly guests, the eldest 97 had to walk up the steep hill - and this was the weekend of the terrible floods in West Yorkshire, about 7 miles from our venue. As above, all emails and phone calls I have since made to Momentulm have been left unanswered, £365 for a 4 mile journey that did not go 'door to door' is a joke.

• Al
      22nd of Aug, 2013

5th July 2013 was my son's wedding in St Albans. Day before the wedding Momentum informed my son that executive coach to transport guests from cathedral had broken down but a substitute coach had been arranged. Following service coach nowhere to be seen and additional transport had to be arranged to take guests to wedding reception. No joy with Momentum to initial complaints except to say that coach had attended pickup location between certain times. This was a lie as local authority CCTV was checked which gave accurate times for a coach that had been parked for a certain time at the pickup location but had left well before the contracted time for pickup. Rather than mucking about with all the stalling by Momentum a County Court summons was served on the company for breach of contract. Lo and behold and in response within the legal response time Momentum sent my son a cheque to cover the cost of the failure of the first coach to pick up the wedding guests plus the cost of hiring a further coach and two taxis and including the cost of the issue of the summons. No letter of apology included with the cheque. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY IS THE ADVICE WE WOULD GIVE TO ANYONE THINKING OF USING THIS OUTFIT !!

• At
      26th of Jul, 2016
    Momentum Coach Hire - Not able to deliver
    ATD Fourth World
    London
    England, Surrey
    United Kingdom

We booked a 72 seater coach to take disadvantaged families to a charity fun day. The coach we were due to have broke down the day before travel was booked and Momentum were only able to provide a replacement with half the original number of seats. We had to spend a lot of money getting the people who didn't fit on the coach to the event as we could hardly let them down by cancelling. Momentum refuse to take any responsibility for this and will not refund any money to cover the extra expense. DON'T USE THESE COWBOYS Terrible!

• Th
      7th of Mar, 2017

Momentum
    I partly blame myself for not looking at reviews of this company properly, they took our money hashed up our Christmas event and took 2 months to review our complain to which their justification of only one small part was that by law a driver had to take a break - the drivers break started as soon as our journey began, then involved 40 minutes of waiting followed by driving into one of London's biggest traffic jams of the year. As an event organiser i have never felt so embarrassed when we had to abandon the bus and make our own way to our venue over an hour late when I allowed an extra 40 minutes onto our journey. Their customer service is just as bad as the age and state of their fleet or where-ever they get their buses from with bulk heads and dirt on the seats - i am sure from teh 70's this would have been a lux bus.

Unfortunately with Momentum its a hit or miss you either get an good service or you don't, but why risk it and flip a coin its not worth the gamble or the money or the agro all in all

As like others I can only follow suit - DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

• Si
      5th of Jan, 2019
    Momentum Coach Hire [MCH] / Momentum Hub - Coach failed to turn up.
    United Kingdom

Failed to turn up to collect guests after our wedding. They left one answerphone message on the day. They made no attempt to make alternative arrangements or to contact the venue. This left all of our guests stranded and unable to return to their hotels at 1am.

Added to this, they then stalled for weeks processing our refund.

Avoid at all costs.