Mirena / Mirena side effects

1 Bendigo, Victoria, Australia Review updated:
Phone: 0350812361

MY STORY

My Mirena was removed on 29th May 2008.

I had the Mirena put in four years ago, I had terrible pain the day after, it was that bad I was going to go to the hospital Emergency to get the thing out but I put up(the worst thing I done in my life, Im paying for it now) with it and it and the pain got a bit better, had a lot of bleeding (spotting) for the first six months and then it finally went away. For the first year I thought Mirena was Great but then the problems started.I started to gain a lot of weight, facial hair, Very sore breasts, I also had a lump removed from my left breast a couple of years ago, but I didnt know until recently that it was most likely caused by Mirena. Some of the other problems I had, My stomach bloated, I look like I'm six months pregnant, I have a cyst on my left ovary, dry skin, acne, strange depression, headaches, and the Worst of all I had to have my Thyroids REMOVED on 1st Nov 2006 and I'm pretty sure that was caused by Mirena as well, so now I have to take thyroid Medication for the rest of my life, I had the Mirena removed as soon as I done some searching on the internet for my unexplained medical problems, mainly my weight as I had weighed about the same my whole adult life and now I had put on a few stone and now I have to try and lose it, as for my thyroid I have trouble getting the Meds right its a real pain, blood tests all the time.I just dont feel I have much left in my life, depressed, sick all the time. I eat well as I have high cholesterol so its not that I over ate, I noticed you do feel a lot more like eating sweet things. I found a site called www.curezone.com and found out there are thousands of woman, girls with the same problems as myself and that there is a class action law suit going on to Sue. Its worth having a look at this site it helped me a lot.I feel so bad I dont go out anymore I dont see friends or family I'm to depressed about my weight now. I am in the process of trying to find out if there is a Class Action Law Suit in Australia.If anyone knows of a Class Action in Australia could they Please let me know. After having the Mirena removed about 6 weeks ago I thought I was doing ok only a bit of spotting, but about 3 weeks after having it removed I got my period and the pain was unbearable, I was in agony stomach cramps and I bleed so much I thought I was going to die from blood loss, also the scariest was the huge blood clots, very scary, must of been four years of period in 1 week I couldnt believe how bad it was, I felt really sick and weak, but thank goodness its eased off now after a week. I just hope now I might slowly start and feel like my old self. Im also on medication for heart palpatations, I get Heart palpitations (SVT) a few times a week, I had my heart palpitations just after my thyroid removal op and was put on ecg and my heart rate was 176 Beats per Minute I was rushed to Intensive Care and I had to have an injection called Impending Doom (It makes you feel you are going to die) to slow my heart rate, it worked and I was kept in intensive car for 3 days, very scary thing to go through I hope I never have to go through that again, my heart palpitations got worse while I was on Mirena and now I also take Magnesium to help control them as well as Metoprolol which I have been on for some years and I recently read that if you are on Mirena it increases the side effects of Metoprolol.

So if you have had any bad experiences with Mirena please let us know, it will help others with their problems, hopefully. I just wish I never got Mirena and my advice is DONT its not Worth the risk, if the Doctors had of told me about the BAD side effects I would NEVER of had it put in. Sorry about going on so long, Good Luck to you all,

Thanks Net.

Ne

Comments

• Pa
      1st of Aug, 2008

as i have asked several times. I want my acct closed TODAY

• Pi
      13th of Oct, 2008

On the 10th Oct. 2008 I received a lottery scam by Phil Catford Uk/940x2/68

• Am
      28th of Jul, 2009

I had mirena put in about 2 months ago and i feel fine... Nothing is different about me, I feel the same as i did before they put it in. The only thing i can complain about is bleeding more then normal which doesnt bother me at all...

• Ne
      5th of Nov, 2009

I have to agree with the posters list of complaints. I've had my Mirena IUD in for 4 years now. The first 2 years I was happy with it too. I even had some of the earlier symptoms that I brushed off as being part of pre-menopause that I now know are related to the Mirena. The early symptoms started about 3 months into insertion (in addition to bleeding & spotting for the 1st 6 months), I had a rash like outbreak on my arms & legs and my face was flushed beat red with hot flashes. That is why I thought of the pre-menopause but I was only 41 an my mother didn't go into menopause until her 50's and I never had any of these problems before insertion so it was not oncoming before the Mirena. Then I started have anxiety and mood swings for the 2nd year. i would panic and fixate on whatever event was bothering me at the time, blowing everything all out of proportion. Then I would just have an extemely anxious feeling coupled with irrability. This was also totally non existant before the Mirena but I once again explained it off as a sign of oncoming menopause. About year 2 my joints would ache and I just figured great now I have arthritis. Year #3 I started noticing my hair loss even though my hairdresser started telling me two years earlier that I was loosing me hair I never noticed it myself until year #3. I always had thick curly hair now it is fine and thin, so thin in some areas my scalp shows. My hair line has receaded almost half way up my head and is very thin on the sides. That was my limit on accepting all my ailments. I knew something had to be causing the growing list of symptoms other than my supposed oncoming early menopause. I took stock of changes in my life since I turned 40. Yes, I has seperated from my husband but since the seperation my life has been completely stress free so that was actually an impoovement there. My diet was the same if not better. I was on no mediaction the only change in my life was I had the Mirena IUD device so I did a web search under " Mirena & hair loss ". Bingo! I am not alone...I was totally shocked to find so many woman with the same list of complaints to various degrees from slight symptoms to flat out life will never be the same.

I figured that's it, I'm have it removed. I made my appointment and expecte my gyno to talk me out of it...she actually agreed readily and scheduled an appointment 1 month away. She even admitted that women are coming back in roves to have this device removed and some gyno's are refusing to insert them anymore. She asked me to verify a list of symptoms I was having...all were mentioned above so the medical community is NOT unaware of this. So 2 weeks before my removal appointment I go for my physical and have blood work done just for a screening and I get a call back that I now have hypothyroidism. Why am I not surprised...there have been numerous complaints from Mirena device users of having thyroid issues since it's insertion. I have never had a single health issue other than high chlorestirol before the Mirena IUD now I am about 50% bald and may have to have thyriod mediaction for the rest of my life. I do attribute this to the Mirena, I know my body. The Mirena is thankfully being removed next week and I can't get it out soon enough! I will post my improvements on hair regrowth and if my thyroid issues disappear too. To anyone who is considering this device please change your mind and go with other options.

• Mw
      21st of Nov, 2009

my daughter has just had the Mirena coil removed after years of suffering stomach cramps, chronic back pain, swollen heavy leg, headaches, bloated feeling and feeling low and not sleeping. Been treated for IBS I found these sites about the Mirena coil and asked her if this is the one she had and told her about it, she went the same day to the family planning clinic and got it removed, at once she felt 100% better this was 2 days ago so hopefully she will return to the fun loving person she was, still has back pain but hope this will clear in time. over the years she has had many tests and ultra sounds etc. but the coil was never mentioned hope she is now cured, good luck to everyone.