Mayo Clinic / Price of Endoscopy

1 Rochester, MN, United States Review updated:

I am writing this complaint because I think the Mayo Clinic is charging ridiculous amounts of money for their services. For example, I had an endoscopy done by them and their charges before it hit my insurance was over $3000. That is over double the national average for this exam. How can they possibly justify that?
Not to mention the fact that I had to wait 3 hours in the waiting room AFTER my schedule appointment time before I was called in and then bam the test took a whole 10 minutes.
They are doing this because of 2 reasons: 1. they have no competition in rochester and they think they are god's gift to the earth, and 2. they are lining the pockets of their board members and doctors at the price of the patient.
My recommendation: Fly to Mexico and have all of your work done there, or at least a big city where there's more competition. The insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and hospitals are all in bed with the government and all getting filthy rich in the process.

Comments

• Pi
      6th of Sep, 2009

I live in Rochester and have been a patient at Mayo. I do not have my family go there any more. I believe they not only overcharge but also overprescribe. They gave my 2 month old an unnecessary MRI. This cost 3K and I am personally out 1K for it. It was useless. However they insisted it was necessary. Well it turned out to be unnecessary. I had stomach pain and my doctor suggested maybe I had a kidney stone. That would have rang up a huge bill. I said a stomach ache does not indicate a kidney stone. They lost 2.6 billion last year and are desperate to do procedures to charge out there losses.
    Try Olmsted or go up to the cities.

• Wh
      22nd of Sep, 2009

Mayo Clinic physicians are paid a salary and do not recieve money on a per-patient basis as is done at other institutions.