Max Hospital / Callous Administration at Max Hospital

1 India Review updated:

I am writing to inform you about the sad state of affairs at the Max Balaji Hospitial in IP Extension (East Delhi). We had to

get one of my relatives operated for a medical condition. We were asked by the doctor who was consulting her to be at the

hospital by 7:30 pm to get her admitted into the ward as the operation was scheduled for the next day morning around 8:00 am.
As advised by the doctor we reached the hospital on time where we were asked to get in touch with the reception to get the

admission formalities completed. Upon reaching the reception we were told that there were no rooms available for atleast 3

hours and that too was dependent on one of the patients being discharged. This was a very unpleasant surprise as the

operation had been planned 2 weeks in advance along with the ward room request. The doctors could offer no more help other

than telling us to wait near the reception and hope that we get the ward quickly. It was also suggested that we keep

reminding the Reception to process our request lest they should forget.

At the reception we were asked to start the admission formalities while we were waiting for one of the rooms to be vacated.

What surprised me the most was that the Billing / Registration Department was very quick in charging the entire expected

amount of the expenses without even bothering to check whether a room was available for the patient to get admitted. When we

asked them to inform us as soon as the room would be vacated we were told that this information will not be available to them

and it is best that we go to the ward itself and find out from the nurse when the room would be vacated. It took repeated

visits to the ward to determine that the room alloted to us had been finally vacated by the previous patient. When we

informed the Registration Department around 10:15 pm that the room had been vacated we were told that it will take about half

an hour to clean the room.

We patiently waited near the Reception area till the room was cleaned. After waiting for an hour when we asked the

Registration officer whether we could shift the patient we were told to check the room to determine whether it had been

cleaned. When we went to the ward we were appalled to find that nothing had been done after the previous patient had left. We

got hold of the cleaner and paid him some money and got the room cleaned in our presence. By the time we shifted the patient

it was around 12:00 am only to find that the attached bathroom had still not been cleaned. It was around 1:00 am that the

room was finally in some state of decency for occupation.

Throughout our ordeal we were offered little assistance from any of the hospital staff. We were told that each department has

its own incharge and its difficult to coordinate between the departments. Also there was no duty manager available to whom we

could voice our grievance.

The irony of the entire episode is that each wall had a caption in bold stating "The patient comes first... Always". The

only way I would complete the statement is "The patient comes first and the services come last. Always".

Comments

Ra
  11th of Oct, 2010

doctor rajat ahluwalia :i want to share my experience at max hospital, saket. my wife got admitted for removal of gall stone by laparoscopic surgery. on the first post operative day at 9 in night she developed acute pain, and inspite of calling repeatedly the doctor no one came for two hours and my wife was listless at that time due to pain. doctor rajat ahluwalia came and started shouting that i am creating a scene. i told him that for 2 hours no one came to attend the patient and now he turns up and without even examing my wife or touching her, he just barged out of the room without telling me anything. she was in pain the whole night and dr rajat never came to examine her even once and was sleeping in his room whole night. i paid a bill of 1, 25000 and never expected behaviour like this. the nurses on duty were also rude and never addressed our concerned and repeatedly told my wife to walk though she could barely move in bed. next day she was diagnosed to have pancreatitis and was told bed rest to the contrary.
finally she was given some medication after 6 hours and she was sitting in her bed the whole night.
i could have gone to any govt hospital and expected a similar behaviour due to patient overload but not in max. inspite of complining to max i never got a feed back on dr rajat ahluwalia.

i really felt like slapping and abusing him but for my sick wife. i am planning to move to consumer court for mental harrasment against dr rajat ahluwalia.
later i came to know that he had studied from a [censor] college in pune with donation fees under management quota. i will never ever go to max laparoscopic department due to their lack of sympathy and empathy.
i hope some sense prevails in max.

Ra
  11th of Oct, 2010

i wish that indian consumers move to court as frequently as they do in west, then only the doctors in india will strighten up, though not all are bad, and addresss patients concerns properly.