Mattamy / poor quality workmanship
I would like to warn anyone interested in a Mattamy home in the Half Moon Bay development in Barrhaven, Ottawa that the quality is something to be aware of. I purchased a home in April of 2009 and have been fighting with them for 9 months now to repair the house.
The list of problem goes as follows,
1) Siding- all siding on the house has been replced as they did a horrendous job. ANyone who knows about siding instalation would be surprised to hear that they used a nail gun to affix the siding to the house. This created a wavy look that required replacement.
2) Foundation-During the building process they failed to protect the ground against frost and as a result the foundation cracked.
3) Concrete on basement floor- They poored the foundation after building the structural walls in the basement and did not put any barrier between the wood and the concrete. This building code violation resulted in the cutting away the floor, repooring that concrete and then rebuilding the walls. The problem with this is that they removed my basement door and did not cover anything when they used their quick cut saw. The result was a thick layer of cement dust throughout my house that they didn't clean up for over a month.
4)Stairs- the basement stairs were not to code and had to be rebuilt. It is amazing that the city building inpsector could not have caught this. I assume that there must be a cozy relationship between the city of Ottawa and Mattamy.
5) Fireplace- The fireplace did not work for 10 months.
6) Framing- They framed the back half of my house impropperly and had to come back and redo it. This put me out of my house for 4 weeks and they only compensated me for 2 weeks worth of accomodations.
7)Windows- 5 windows were installed out of place and two were installed impropperly and without any kind of insulation. One window in the kitchen was actually installed partially behind the kitchen cabinet.
8) Tiles- I had a major problem with tile cracking in my kitchen and foyer. They have since been replaced, but the problem was to the tune of about 20 tiles out of about 50.
9) Damage to my house contents- The painters painted part of a brand new leather couch set and have refused to clean them. They also damaged the felt on my pool table.
10) Paint- The house was painted so poorly as to inspire the comment from the Vice-president that he is embarrassed about the quality of the job and that the whole house should be repainted. Unfortunately, I did not get that in writing and they have decided that they would not repaint the house. It didn't matter they only put on one coat or that they missed large sections of the house.
11) drywall- The drywall job in this house was horrendous. The mudding and taping was roorly done to say the least. They have have repaired most of it, but it has been months and they never paint the patches they leave.
12) insulation- They forgot to insulate an exterior wall of the master bedroom. They took 10 months to get this completed. It appreaed on my PDI and they refused to do anything about it until the carpet had frozen over with ice.
12) Tiles- They put the wrong tiles in the mater bathroom and another bathroom and refuse to replace them.
13) Roof vents- They forgot to vent part of the roof.
There are a tun more things that were wrong with my house and the quality of the employees is horrible.They will not do anything unless it is sent via e-mail or registered mail. Today they lost the entire file for my house. Therefore putting us right back at the beginning of the process again.
If you are planning on purchasing a Mattamy home in the Barrhaven area be warned that they do not stand by the quality of their workmanship. At least my house isn't sinking like some of the others.
More Mattamy Complaints & Reviews
- MattamyHomes.com - poor insulation! 
- Mattamy Homes - false & misleading advertising 
- Mattamy Homes - poor quality ceramic tile installation 
- Mattamy Homes Ottawa LTD - seizure of down payment 
- Mattamy Financial Services - rip off 
- Mattamy Homes - work
- Mattamy Homes - audio video bridge not installed correctly. 
- MattamyHomes.com - delays poor customer service
- Mattamy Homes - being ignored by the builder regarding a leaking roof, which they already repaired once.
- Mattamy Homes - house