Marriott Vacation Club International / Timeshare ownership hell!

I am an owner of a Marriot Grand Chateau in Las Vegas, Nevada which I’ve purchased in July 22, 2006.
It was a so easy to sign the agreement and make the purchase. They assured of that even though I was not a US resident my purchase and my ownership will be a smooth sailing.

Well what a mistake it was to make this purchase. Following is how it began after I returned back home.
1) In order for me to make the final payment I had to call Marriot International several times. They were not able to update my e-mail contact information, not send me any request or information until my payment was past due.
2) They refuse to take a full payment and made me take loan for three months with 12% even though I insisted on paying them full instantly.
3) I never received any ownership paperwork
4) I did not receive a statement for my maintenance fees. I found out about when I was not able to sign in to my account to transfer my reward points.
5) I was not informed neither through their web site or an e-mail regarding the time limits on by when I can transfer my week to reward points or when to rent my week.
6) Missed my option of transferring the first year week to reward points
7) Missed my option of having Marriott rent my second year week. Season was full
I called Marriott Timeshare Owner help line they made me signed up to an Interval International for one year in order to get my first year back only to find out that I can only exchange that week after making a reservation at Marriott. Marriott send me to Interval International and they send me back to Marriott until I finally gave up. My week for 2008 is still not resolved.

As a result of this, I have page full of numbers. A number for Marriott Rewards, a number for Timeshare owner, a number for Interval International and number for Marriott resale but satisfactory results from any of them. Plus many log-in IDs for several websites.

They say one day for two bed-room at Grand Chateau is rented for $424.00 but they can only pay me $800.00 for one week rental minus the 30% IRS tax. I can’t even sell it!

Comments

• La
      9th of May, 2008

I have never gone to this extent before, nor have I ever had this sort of treatment as a customer before. I have loved Marriott's for a long time and up until this year Knew we would one day own a Marriott. We went to see a 90 minute (supposed to be non pressure) timeshare sphill. We were actually there over 4 hours and were promised 15, 000 points to sit through this experience. You have 5 days to back out of the deal no questions asked. We decided that this was not the best time for us and backed out of the deal (No problem ) we had really waisted over four hours but we learned a lot and was reconfirmed that we would own some day and we would get our 15, 000 for our trouble (WRONG). This was in January of 08 and I have called montly at least - would call more often if we were not promised by three different Marriott Associates that they would take care of it. But give them several weeks. To date all we have had are empty promises. I am so disgusted that I have begun complaining and have leard that others just at this person above have had horrible experiences and seemingly no way out. Buyer Beware not all that glitters is gold

18th of Aug, 2008

Unfortunately customer services and "satisfaction guaranteed" are not criteria.
    You know why? Because they could not find stupid people like us very easy! They have to have us responsible and will never allow you to change your mind.
    One thinks that buying an American brand comes with all the protection a customer gets, well, not in this program. Marriott failed a big time.

Anybody who read this and buy a timeshare with Marriott is defiantly an abnormal person. I could not resell my week and I regret this blood sucking program.

• Br
      6th of Sep, 2008

Have 4 weeks in Marriott Aruba Ocean Club.
    Usually we rent through Marriott one week to help pay for about 2 week's maintainance.
    Rules have changed and our Thanksgiving week can not be rented. Even if it could we would only get enough for 1 week's worth.
    We bought multiple weeks because our salesman told us that the benefits are that we can book 13 months ahead instead of 12 and the rental can offset the maintanace of at least 2 weeks.
    When Marriott contracted to build the structure an inferior roof and windows were placed. The roof leaks and had to be replaced once. The windows leak and have to be replaced.Hopefully no mold is growing there.
    Marriott does not stand behind their liability of having chosen those contractors and expects the owners to pay the bulk of the costs of their replacements.So much for standing behind their good name.
    No one expected to pay for this.
    If we exchange our week for points we get 90.000, not enough to use for a place of equal value.
    If we try to use points it is very difficult to get prime locations.
    We recently placed our week for rent with redweek.com
    and found out that we can rent a week at about the cost of a week's maintanance.
    WOW why did we buy? We feel like total idiots.
    If we are lucky enough to sell through Marriott they get 40%
    If they rent for us we get about $900 they can get around $2, 000/
    Owners can not win with Marriott.
    We know it's not an investment but never realized it was a loss.