[Resolved] Malwarebytesservice - tech scam

D Nov 20, 2017 Review updated:

I was talked into buying 2 years of 'protection' for my Mac and Smartphone for &70.99, (a "discount") Was told to go toGoogle Play to download for Android.
Google Play won't open on my cell phone, and a warning that Malwarebytes had been hacked into came up.
I called the support number for Malwarebytes, and a man from India answered the phone without stating the company he was with. When I asked, he said anti virus tech.
He insisted I go to my computer, but my inner voice and gut feeling was NO.
He said he would look into my IP address and get back to me in 20 minutes.
(He said he could sell me Malwarebytes for my router as well as what I had already purchased for both phones.)
When he called back on my cell phone wanting me to go to my computer to get my cell phones Malwarebytes going - my gut screamed NO.
I told him I wasn't comfortable with this, and ended the call.
A few minutes later, I called the number he had called me from - a New York # no longer in service.
After coming home from work that day, there was a 1 minute long message a people talking in the background - not asking for, or, speaking to me.
Strange - What a scam. Beware.

• Resolution Statement

• Updated by Deb Hock · Nov 20, 2017

If Malwarebytes isn't available from Google Play - where then?

• Malwarebytes Customer Care's Response · Dec 28, 2017

Hello Deb,

Based on your description it does sound like a potential scam attempt. Could you reach out to us and provide more information on the phone number you received the call from? We will investigate on our end, there is no association with a "anti virus tech" which is concerning if they are representing themselves as Malwarebytes.

To contact our support:

• J
      Nov 21, 2017

1. You did not say if your smart phone was Android or Apple. Malwarebytes -does- run on Android phones, but NOT Apple. If you have an android phone - you need assistance from the vendor you got your phone from - as you'll need Google Play for multiple other functions on your phone. Once the Google Play problem is resolved, you should be able to enjoy the benefits of Malwarebytes Anti Malware on your phone.
    2. Don't know -who- you called (you didn't provide the number) but I STRONGLY suspect you got a bogus number for Malwarebytes tech support in the notice that popped up, and actually contacted a scammer - who did his best to take your money. ("good-for-you" for being suspicious...)
    3. NEITHER of these problems are caused by Malwarebytes software or support - so I don't see WHY you'd file this as a complaint about Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
    4. I'm a computer tech that has been working on computers for DECADES - and regularly recommend this software to my clients. Personally, on my own Windows systems - I use Malwarebytes Anti Malware alongside Windows Defender. I have NEVER had a problem with this combination causing any problems or slowdowns - and ("knock-on-wood") have NEVER encountered a virus, trojan, or malware that has gotten past this combo (with MOST being stopped by Malwarebytes Anti Malware).