Madison Seating / poor customer service

1 United States

I purchased a Steelcase Leap chair from Madison Seating for a Christmas gift for my husband. I ordered it a few weeks before Christmas, but it didn't arrived until Jan. 4th. The late delivery wasn't too big an issue, I should have read the shipping policy and realized it would arrive late. But when it arrived, one of the arm-rests was broken. I contacted Customer Service that same day (Jan. 4) before 1:30 in the afternoon, and was told all the Customer Service team had already gone home for the day and couldn't help me until Monday. I asked if it was customary for them to close before 2 PM on Fridays, and they said sometimes. Later they emailed me to say that they're a Jewish company and so must close earlier on Friday for the Sabbath. I was raised with similar customs, so I was bit surprised, because sundown on Friday evening is nowhere near 2 pm, but I just accepted the explanation. I was told on Monday that they were shipping me the replacement parts and I would get them as soon as possible.

I received a shipping confirmation email from Madison Seating saying my order of replacement parts had been shipped on Jan. 8. I contacted them on Jan. 20th to find out why they hadn't arrived yet. They informed me that they hadn't shipped them at all, and they'd be shipping them in "24-48 hours". No apologies at any time. That was Jan. 20th. They arrived today, 11 days later, Jan. 31. I called UPS to find out when they were actually shipped. UPS informed me that the shipping label was created on Jan. 10, but my package wasn't actually shipped until Jan. 25th.

I am beyond angry at this company. What kind of company cares so little for their customers that they ship a broken product, take nearly a month to ship them a replacement piece (not a new chair, just a replacement arm-rest), and NEVER ONCE APOLOGIZE? Not to mention outright lying and telling me they had shipped my replacement parts on the 8th. And on the 10th. And "24-48 hours" after the 20th.

Oh, and the kicker? When the replacement parts arrived today, one of them was already broken.

Save your money and your sanity, and shop at a place that actually gives two cents about their customers.

• Updated by SarahDutko, Jan 31, 2019

I'm updating a previous negative review I left for Madison Seating to say that despite my initial bad impression, when I was mailed a broken chair and left with it for a month, as of today, Sara from Madison Seating reached out, she was very apologetic and kind, and said this never should have happened. She is now not only sending me the replacement parts I needed, but also a second chair at no cost, as an apology. I feel much better about Madison Seating's customer service after this, and the company as a whole. It appears that I simply dealt with one very rude customer service rep the entire time, and I'm hopeful now that this experience was the exception, not the rule. The positive experience of having them go above and beyond to correct their mistake is worth more to me than the initial bad impression they left.

Sa