Long & Foster / I have lost thousands of dollars!

L&F surely made my house buying experience the worst of my life. Due to their inexperienced agents, unprofessionalism, I have lost thousands of dollars, many many hours.

Va

Comments

• Ju
      10th of Apr, 2007

I agree with the complaint. I was assaulted by one of the realtor's named N.A."Pete" Cofflin. Be careful people he is very dangerous. He will arrive at your home at an early hour, wait till your husband is gone and force his way into your home. Once he is inside he looks around and makes sure that nobody can here you scream. He then beats you up leaving you for dead. I was lucky, but the next person may not be.

• Su
      10th of Mar, 2010

How awful, how very awful. Our experience was with Long and Foster in Ocean City, MD and had to do with a rental. Have been renting a unit for many, many years and recently the owner put it up for sale. We had rented privately. So, we rented for our summer vacation through the realtor, Long and Foster, Ocean City, MD agent Kathy Feldman. When original owner sold unit, new owners wanted to null and void our rental agreement, with deposit paid, contract signed, because they wanted to be there at that time. Seller said NO and it was put in contract. Well, we get a phone call that they won't honor our rental and too bad for us. She was rude, nasty, and could not care less. This is 4 months from vacation and rentals are hard to get. Looking into it we find that her behavior is unethical and should be reported and so it will be. Luckily we have found another place, but we will spend as much time as we need to getting out the word about this office and this agent. Susan Kupperblatt

• Co
      13th of Jun, 2011

I really think to judge a whole company because of one or two employees is unfair. The two instances reported here are rare indeed. Realtors are independant contractors, and can have mental problems or unfriendly or unethical behavior all on their own. In the first instance, the police should have been called. Why would you let someone like that remain on the streets? He attacked you? That is serious and should be reported, forget about what his job is.. that guy was going to do that no matter who employed him.

• Bm
      25th of Aug, 2014

I will never rent from long & foster ever again, nor will I ever refer anyone to do business with this company. I have been renting a house from them & have barely even been there 2 months yet & it has already been one inconvenience after another . the condition the house was in, I can't believe they would even let someone move in with it looking like it did . they had well over a month to get repairs done & have the house cleaned before they let someone move in . the idiots working at long & foster have no communication at all whatsoever with each other, or the landlord . they all tell you different stories & give you the run around . unless you have time to take off from work, or are willing to do the repairs on your own without getting reimbursed, don't count on long & foster to help you with anything, because they really don't give a ### ! DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY !

• Lo
      24th of May, 2016

This was the worst rental experience I ever had. You end up managing the place instead of Long & Foster. They require that you take time off from work to let maintenence people in and you have to give that person cash to do repairs. L&F reimburseS you, but your money is still held up. I rented the townhouse for 6 months and moved due to purchasing a home. I hired a professional maid and carpet cleaner and still did not receive my whole deposit. They charged me for repairs that the homeowner should have been responsible for. Beware of renting with Long & Foster!

• Us
      29th of Jul, 2018

@Lorena Robinson There needs to be a Negative 0 rating here to choose from. This company is a SCAM and something needs to be done about their lack of fulfilling THEIR end of the contract, and the customer service... lets just say i was foaming at the mouth by the end of the 6th phone call to these folks... On the advise of our realtor and mortgage company when we purchased our home on Valentines Day 2018, we took their words of advise and decided to go with Long & Foster home warranty as well as home insurance which is thru AGI (thru Long & Foster) because it was the company that the whole realtor/mortgage team uses. We also decided to pay extra and get the extended warranty to cover well and septic. Our air went out in May so we had to replace the outside unit as well as the air handler. The cost to have this done was $5200.00. They only said they would pay $2800.00!! I called to make the claim, temperatures were in the 80-90s (it was cooler outside than it was inside) explained the urgency that I had 4 kids and my 85 y.o. grandmother who is in a hospital bed upstairs and can't move without help. They told me it would be a "medical emergency" and would escalate the claim. Almost a week goes by of me calling every day, being told something different by all different people who had no clue what was going on, and then to finally be told 6 days later after my first call to them "Sorry but we don't have a service provider in your area". ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!??? Never once were we told when you took our money for the warranty and extended warranty, and we actually got a welcome pack from Long and Foster with everything that we paid for that was covered. They told us we would have to find our own provider so we did. (needless to say by day 8 we had air again. We should of been told immediately when i made the claim, no service provider, we could of had it fixed sooner) We paid the $5200 out of pocket because we had no choice. it was an emergency. Long and Foster pulled the ol' "Check is the Mail" scam. It took 6 weeks from the time i made the claim to the time we actually got the check. My husband was on the phone daily going back and forth about what they were going to pay which they did pay the full reimbursement. (again 6 weeks for a check is unacceptable in an "emergency". It gets worse...fast forward a month and a half, on a saturday, our well pump goes out, no water . (remind you we bought the extended warranty to specifically cover sewer and well.) Being told no one was in our service area, we found someone local to come out on that Monday and again paid out of pocket almost $1200.00. (2 days, no water, 85 y.o. grandma, 4 teenage kids) I was preparing meals with bottled water at this point. The plumber pulled the well pump that was 15 years old, replaced the pump, wiring, & hardware. New pump, new wiring, makes sense, why would you put 15 year old wiring on a new pump..right..??? WRONG by Long and Foster. Long and Foster now refuses to pay the claim and reimburse us because the plumber replaced the wires and says that means it was an electrical issue and our home warranty does not cover electrical!!! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY IF THEY HAD A GUN TO MY HEAD. SAVE YOUR SELF THE UNNECESSARY STRESS, TIME, PHONE CALLS, AND SANITY AND FIND ANOTHER COMPANY!! We are going to cancel this home warranty with them and find a new home owners insurance company. We are worried that if something happens to our home and have to go thru their underwriter AGI that we will have nothing but issues since we still have to go thru Long and Foster. I will be reporting this company to the BBB. This company is horrible and their non sense of screwing people over any way they can is totally unacceptable on so may levels.

21st of Jul, 2016

uly 10, 2016
    This is what Long and Foster and Agent did to me, and no response from the Paul Foster or any of the officer.

And now the agent Carol Watson is renting the same condo that she rented to me, the stove /dish washer /bathroom old /washer and dryer/fridge NOT WORKING AND THE RENT IS $1300 PLUS VERY HIGH BGE BILL.

Radhika S. Mahesh
    14050 Vista Drive
    Apt #62B
    Laurel, MD 20707

Long and Foster Real Brokerage
    P. Wesley Foster, Jr. (Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer)
    14501 George Carter Way Chantilly,
    VA 20151-1788.
    Jeff Detwiler (President and Chief Operating Officer)
    Paul Foster (Senior Vice President/regional Manager)

Gary Hardy (Managing Broker, Managing Broker; Burtonsville, MD)
    Burtonsville, MD

Dear Officer and Manager:

I was advised by the Maryland Association of Realtors to send this letter to your office to have the choice to correct what your agent and brokerage handler the sale and purchase along rental.

I had chosen Long and Foster as the office and Mrs. Carol Watson as my agent to sell my home at 14722 McKnew Rd, Burtonsville., MD. the agreement between myself and ex-husband whom was also part owned was to find me another to for myself or a rental for short term no more than three months, Long and Foster didn't had to do anything to sell my home it had a contract with in thirty days during that time Mrs. Watson knew that my youngest graduation daughter schedule for May 09, 2016., and since she lives with me we must find a place that would be able to accommodate both of us and two cars, I ask Mrs. Watson was told by the buyers agent that she must have the house by April 15, 2016 due to her living situation which was understood, but Mrs. Watson didn't show any urgency to find a place for us to live, she would say we will find you some thing don't worry as Mrs. Watson was not making any move I start looking and found another agent to help me, but because of the time to process the rental which I didn't and the area since I had to stay close for my daughter to finish school in Washington., DC. And working full time, along with three floors of furniture I was becoming very stressed out while Mrs. Watson didn't see the urgency to find me a home to purchase or a rental.

I remember during a conversation with Mrs. Watson she mentions that they own a condo that I can rent she did express that they were having problems renting the condo and her daughter was having financial problems, who is a real estate with long and foster, I remember telling Mrs. Watson that I didn't to live in Laurel and wanted a place that was
    Compared to what I was living in and area.

As time got to be weeks away for settlement April 15, 2015 and a daughter who is having finals as an engineering and architecture student my blood pressure was not control well and my doctor was beginning to get very worried, I then stated to look for houses to purchase or a short term rental for about three months, I went as far to drive around the area to make sure I like and sent to Mrs. Watson, she would make many excuses, as time got even shorter I had found a few condo in Columbia Maryland that I wanted to see but Mrs. Watson brought me to see her condo in Laurel and stated the cost was $1300 plus utilities at no time she mention how high the bills were, as I saw the condo it’s old the dish washer not working the stove was in bad condition the bathroom was a disaster, washer and dryer and air condition all broken . But Mrs. Watson convinces me that it was for a few months and at that point I was in the hands of my agent Mrs. Watson. I signed a long and foster lease with Mrs. Watson and her daughter on Long and Foster lease document on April 10, 2016 five days before closing of my home April 15 closing, I paid $ 4, 723 and a $700.00 deposit.

I had to sell all my furniture for less than the value and move with two mattresses and my personal items, cost me $1, 000 for a mover, the word that my daughters used was mum Mrs. Watson took advantage of you and wanted to use you to pay her rent and didn't care about finding me a house to purchase she was never available to take me to see any homes, all the homes I request to see was by me looking.

Mrs. Watson and Long and Foster place my health at risk due to all the stress I was in the hospital on June 16, 2016 and came out on June 26, 2016 to a condo with any air condition and Mrs. Watson was very upset “ her words, why don't you go stay with your family” because it was during the 4th of July weekend and they wanted to use the homeowner's warranty and having problems finding a service company to fix the system that needed to be replace, I took three days from my doctors appointments to wait in the heat for the service men.

I had sent Mr. Hardy an email, his response was no help and I must add that he told me that I was renting from Mrs. Watson but he was wrong I’ve a lease on Long and Foster lease document.,

I still don’t have a place to live and have to pay once again to have a mover move me to another place to live, I’m a single mother and not a rich person and for your company and agent to take advantage for me is wrong;
    I’m seeking damages for all my expenses that this has cost me and I hope that your office will see that this was handled by your office and agent wrong.

Seeking: $4723. 00
    Moving: $1000. 00 to a Mrs. Watson Condo
    Moving $1000. 00 to move out on July 31st, 2016
    Lose of sale of furniture that I had no place to take $3500. 00

A total of $10, 223.00

Please note if this matter is not settled, I’ll take all action that is available to me to make sure no other person get this kind of treatment that was grossly negligence on behalf of Long and Foster and Agent Carol Watson.

Cc: Maryland Association of REALTORS