Long Fence Company - Capital Hts., MD / Poor construction and customer service!

I contracted to have a $20,000 privacy fence and electric iron gate installed September 30,2006. It took Long Fence four months to complete the job. The result was very poor. My closed picket sections have the pickets butt up against the main post on one side of many sections and a large gap of 2-3 inches on the other. My privacy fence with Lattice work was severely shorted to sections as small as 4ft 11 inches when a normal section is about eight feet. The iron gate for my driveway was installed crooked. There's a gap of 2 1/4" between the main post and top of the gate and a gap of 2 3/4" between the main post and the bottom of the gate on one side. Long Fence has refused to return my calls. The President, Mike Ritter, has ignored my registered/certified letter asking him to acknowledge my letter in writing within ten working days. This was not done. I am in the process of going through the BBB and Maryland Home Improvement Commission for satisfaction. Long Fence has been a big disappointment.

Comments

• Lo
      8th of Jun, 2009

I work for Long Fence and Home and wanted to share some real customer feedback we've received recently:

Dorothy S. from Great Falls, Virginia said: “Salesman was very explicit and thorough in his demonstration of the windows. Very persuasive indeed. Good personality. Friendly and patient… So far no problem with the installed windows. Will do business with you again.”

Barbara G. from Laurel, Maryland said: “This serves as a compliment to your staff and the quality of work recently done to my kitchen cabinets and counter tops. Let me first say that I was very impressed with the professionalism, patience, and knowledge of the products that were offered to me. The sales representative was very detailed and specific during his presentation, I never felt like he was after a sale. The presentation made me want to remodel at this time…The installers did an excellent job cleaning up after the job was done. However, what most impressed me was the job was done less than the estimated time. I am extremely pleased with the work done to my kitchen. I will definitely recommend Long Fence and Home to family, friends, and co-workers. I also plan to get windows and doors from Long fence and home at a later date. ”

Ignatius P. from Clinton, Maryland said: “The installers arrived before time (which was a plus). They were professional and courteous and got the job done when they said they would do it. They explained how the product worked and advised I could contact the office at any time if something went wrong or were to happen. I must say that I was a bit leery seeing we had other contractors come in to do what was supposed to be a professional job but Long Fence and home out them all to shame. We love our new windows and have already recommended the product to family and friends. Thanks for setting such a high bar in customer service and satisfaction.”

Nancy E. from Reston Virginia said: “My experience with Long Kitchens was incredible. From the design consultant to the installers the selection, installation, and cleanup was superb. All work was done absolutely on schedule with no surprises anywhere in the process. The quality of the oak cabinets, countertop, sink and faucet was better than I expected for the price. And I can’t say enough about the “face” of Long Kitchens….your people. They were pleasant, friendly, absolutely professional, and willing to do little extras such as raising my counters an inch to conform with existing appliances. Just a pleasure to do business with your company”

Catherine B. from Arlington, Virginia, said: “I was very impressed and pleased with the entire process. On the same day I called to check on the status of my broken window. The salesperson came by on the evening (worked with my schedule). He is smart, articulate, pleasant, knowledgeable and not pushy. I loved the doors he showed me. He did not pressure me...Did a fabulous job installing my door. I'm happy. Thanks.”

Jaheen T. from Crofton, Maryland said: “Great experience from start to finish. From our first meeting to the clean-up of the installation team it was a pleasurable experience. Our windows have helped to make our home a cocoon protected from the outside world.”

• Co
      21st of Dec, 2010

As potential customers seeking information about a company, we are not automatically impressed by one short list of glowing reviews from customers who did not receive a botched job or or who were treate with honesty and respect. Even the worse companies with the most disreputable organzational culture may employ a select few workers who care about providing quality service. The frequency and type of complaints against a company are more inducive of what one can expect when dealing with a particular company. There are many disatisfied customers on this site (and multiple others) with legitimate negative reviews of your company. Are you suggesting through this list that they are making their experiences up?

Consumers want truth. We want a company that strives for excellence and integrity in ALL its transactions. We care about how a company performs as a general rule, not in their ability to generate some positive reviews. Case in point, I received quality work and wonderful customer service from Long Fence and Home some years ago during my fence installation. This prompted me to contact them again for my new window installation needs. My two experiences were with the same company, but were as different as night and day.

I've never experienced such high pressure (bordering on abusive) sales techniques. I initiated my second contact by scheduling a consultation. During that meeting, I disclosed that I intended to pay in cash through an upcoming source of funds dedicated for home improvement. I also made it clear that I would not be pressured into using ANY form of credit. When a sales supervisor was informed that I needed to postpone installation for at least another 6-12 months, he spent over half an hour on the phone attempting to coerce me into spending money that I kept reiterating I didn't have. He tried to pressure me into purchasing $9000 worth of windows within two weeks with promises of discounts, tax breaks, and repeated suggestions to go into debt using credit. I patiently explained that I had mistakenly assumed I was immediately coming into a windfall of cash flow that now wouldn't be available until next year. He then tried to convince me that I was obligated by a contract which I never signed. being a contract officer myself, I gently reminded him that a consultation is not an obligation, but a fact finding endeavor. When those ploys didn't work, he threatened me with being responsible for him possibly firing the salesperson who did my consultation. I mean, who does that? What horrific customer service!

I was happy with the terms and products offered during my consultation. I expressed that I was quite willing to choose Long and Fence for windows installation when funds became available. A company with integrity would have seen the wisdom in keeping me as a future customer. But because of the terrible customer service from this sales supervisor, I will now seek future service elsewhere! In addition, I am online offering my warning complaints to assist unsuspecting consumers in making a fully informed decision about this company. Employee responses like yours annoy me because they show a callous insensitivity and lack of genuine desire to ensure true customer satisfaction. Who cares if Ignatius P. from Clinton had a lovely experience? That's as irrelevant to me now as the fact that I once had a positive experience with your company. The inconsistency reveals that the "Long and Fence" brand cannot be fully trusted to provide quality service.

As a representative of Long and Fence, you should spend less time attempting to "spin" the company's reputation and more time doing what is needful to avoid the many complaints against your various branches. Your focus should be on CORRECTING the issues that your dissatisfied customers are revealing, rather than on boasting about what you believe you’re doing right. That is how a company with integrity maintains a well deserved positive reputation. Your placing those positive reviews doesn't "magically" make null and void the MANY complaints against your company I've discovered all over the Net. So, thank you for your small list of reviews from satisfied customers—though we can't verify its authenticity. That means nothing to me or to the other highly dissatisfied Long and Fence customers. Our experiences are just as valid, so we feel a MORAL obligation to share them.