Liberty Mutual / Short Term Disability Claim

Liberty Mutual
I was on short term disability and Liberty Mutual has advised me that they will not be able to process my claim until I pay a bill that was sent TO THEM from my doctor. This bill was for copies of medical records that Liberty Mutual asked my doctor to send to them. I refuse to pay this bill because the bill was sent to Liberty Mutual for payment for services provided to them...not me. Now, this company is refusing to process my claim for benefits. How can they hold up my claim for ransom like that? Has anyone else had a problem like this?

A  20th of Jul, 2009 by
Liberty Mutual also stopped my disability payments because I would not sign an authorization releasing my income tax reports with attachments, my credit report, my bank account #, my school transcripts. So they stopped my checks. I'm now 65 and the company or whoever they work with or for, are withholding my retirement benefits, unless I sign a liability waiver in front of a notary. Where is the help when you need it?
N  16th of Mar, 2010 by
N  19th of Mar, 2010 by
i want my money back that you took out my account unathorized
A  17th of Apr, 2010 by
Liberty Mutual is one of the worst insurance companies there is. Keep spreading the word and warn others. They lure people in with their mass mailings and low rates and then specialize in denied and delayed claims. Just google Liberty Mutual & complaints and the message boards are full. This is not an insurance company but rather a company full of lawyers and claims adjusters who are experts in using the system to their advantage. You do not have a chance.
N  5th of Oct, 2010 by
You need to hire yourself an attorney, and not every attorney cost money...many attorney's in your area offer pro-bono hours annually, and I would encourage you to look into this. As an insurance adjuster myself, I can assure that there are many circumstances that someones bank statements, credit report, or other financial documentation may come into question. However, as a patient you would know long before they started probing around. If there is money that is owed to you, and you do not claim the money, the money goes to the state...the insurance company does not get to keep the money, it goes to the state as uncollected funds. Each state has a statute of limitations...so I would encourage you to look into this immediately and not to allow your legitimate short term health claim prevent you from collecting what is rightfully yours. The form that they send to you is not even HIPPA Compliant, it doesn't have the patients social security number on it anywhere.

When I spoke to the claims adjuster, I had to practically pull information out them...I was told that I didn't need to complete any forms for them. I got a copy of the medical records today, and sent them in...will be following up daily.
N  27th of Aug, 2011 by
Liberty Mutual is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. They need to get with the progam and treat people with respect and give the disabled people their monies. I have been dealing with this unprofessional business since May and it has been a nightmare. They never returned my phonecalls, they tried to deny my claims by lying and saying that they never recieved all my medical documents needed. I got proof that they were lying about my medical records not being sent. And then they had the nerve to close my claim without telling me that I had been denied. I am extremely disgusted with this type of unprofessionalism. I reported them to the Better Business Bureau and I would highly recommend everyone to stay away from this downright "rip off business". I have news for them, I will not back down and I will receive my money. They finally messed with the wrong person!
A  7th of Mar, 2012 by
I am fighting with them now for my Short Term Disability. I have blood clots in my lungs and am on oxygen until these clots dissolve. They are in charge of the company I work for and oversee the STD Insurance. Me, home on oxygen, already had my Disablity paperwork filled out and turned in to the company I work for. But Liberty wants medical records, and they want me to go out and get them from the doctor and hospital I was treated at. I'm on oxygen, I'm at home trying to recooperate from my ailment. They are second guessing the doctors opinion of my condition. They don't want to pay for me to be out of work, but I can't go to work with an oxygen bottle. Yes, Liberty stinks at this and they are making me sicker. I would have been better off to have stayed in the hospital and died.
A  10th of May, 2012 by
I have been waiting on a STD claim now for over a month and a half. I seldom get my calls returned and every time they question anything from my Dr. it postpones the claim for at least another week. It seems that the nurse who is questioning my Dr doesn't care that she is effecting my livelihood, she is dragging her feet, taking over a week each time to read the notes my Dr sends her, really!?! I am in a perpetual state of "pending". I would have rather been fired from my job due to lack of performance and collected unemployment than having to deal with this. The stress Liberty Mutual has caused me is worse than the stress trying to work through my illness.

My disease they are questioning: CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease), I am currently functioning at a 19% rate and am in the final stage before transplant.
A  25th of May, 2012 by
My claim was denied last year evven though I had proof that I was going into surgery for my gall bladder. I had a bad infection and had to remove my gall bladder. The same day my gall bladder was removed I called and told them I had just returrned from day surgery and wanted to make them aware... a couple hours later I went online and check my claim status, and guess what? DENIED! Iwas in pain and had just literally just got treated for my condition and the first person I called was this ### of a company.
N  5th of Jan, 2013 by
my continuous claim was denied two weeks after submission because one appointment with a doctor on my team isn't until 2 months from now. I don't understand that logic. I'm being treated for a brain tumor, with radiation pending. This is so stressful that I'd rather just not do the treatment. This puts me at risk of loosing my job. I'd rather go back to work, deal with the consequence of poor performance due to being unable to concentrate from the adverse side effects of the medication, than to deal with the irrational treatment of this insurance company. How can this company question the judgment of the best doctor in the world for my condition? My spirit is struggling to deal with this medical condition; this odd denial judgment only makes me feel worse.
A  7th of Jan, 2016 by
Liberty Mutual is a crimmnal insurance company they do what ever they want their sole purpose is to give you hell when you ask them to honor a claim 2002 I was injuried at work no fault of my own I had 2 surguries they stopped payment on a regular basics causing me to loss everyrhing I had .Then they topped it off with there investigators volating private life damages to my car following me where ever I went tapering with my mail I caught a investigator putting my check in my mail box after 7:00 pm at night I waited all day I had no food or money i was at my door and heard someone opened the door and he was pulling a envolope out of his jacket looked at me and left. I have been under some type of law enforcement investigation ever since till this day. They bought the lawyer from up under me .I show up for my settlment and there is a lawyer I never seen before I was wore down so I ended up settling for lifetime medical and I would be able to ask for a payment for what they had not paid during the course of my injury when I called the law office the lawyer that represented me was fired and the next lawyer MARK VICKERS told me to call him in a month when I called he let the time expire so I was unable to recieve payment that was drawn up in court
It really changed my life it took many years for me to heal from Billion dollar company attacking me becauae I got hurt, now my arm has gone out with nerve damage and they say your denied
.Nightmare is not over but I am going to stand up until I die TRULY CRIMMINAL OPERATION.
N  11th of Feb, 2016 by
Liberty Mutual tries to squirm out of every claim. They become so annoying by asking for doctors letters, disability proof, tax returns, forms for abilities and documentation SSDI applications almost every 2 months. They are one of the wealthiest insurance companies by far. Case managers are paid bonuses based on dollars saved by kicking people off their disability claims. Case managers have to review claims every 6 months that's twice the industry average. They sent out a private detective 3X in a 15 month period. I took pictures of the detectives in their car as proof of over investigating / harassment. I also take pictures of the registration plate. Its not like my leg is going to grow back? My neighbor is a cop and he spotted the private detective each time parked along the road. All 3X he send a squad car out to confront them and send them away. I am not sure why companies choose this company a LTD company. I think this needs to go viral so companies begin to drop them as a LTD carrier
A  27th of Jun, 2017 by
they denied me for being hurt in the military yet i hav enever served. they dened me sent people to wacth me and yet still say i can work. i am fighting and i will not back down. my regular case manager cannot deny my claim so my appeal is being sent to an appeal unit... they are crooks. but i will fight with everything i have. and if anyone has updates please let me know.

Liberty Mutual Insurance Logo Liberty Mutual Insurance