LA Fitness / billing nightmare

The facility is great, but customer service is bad. Dealing with billing is a nightmare!

I have been a member for 1 year, spending over $2, 000 in a year. At the end of the year I inquired about personal training contract renewal. The manager called me within a few days and informed me that they can offer to me personal training membership for $20 (the original rate was $30). I specifically asked if there are any additional fees associated with it. He informed me that since I am already a customer, there will be no additional fees or account set up fees. I also asked if I need to do anything else, e.g. sign contract, and he assured me that all I needed to do is to authorize transaction over the phone.

February comes and I look at my credit card statement and I see multiple charges. I called the LA Norwalk office and it turns out here how transactions break down:

1. $150: $92 dollars for training membership (new discounted rate) + 50 dollars processing fee (which I was not informed about)

2. $31 and S31 - monthly membership for 2 people (no complaints here)

2. $127 - training membership fee at original rate

Person informed me that charges are correct because I have two training accounts set up, one for me and one for my husband. I responded that it is impossible since my husband rarely goes to the gym and if he needs proof, he can check attendance records. I told him how my training membership was renewed and he repeated multiple times that these charges are my fault because I never cancelled my first training membership. I emphasized that I was told my account was being “renewed” and I never agreed to establish a second training membership. I asked to resolve this issue and provide a reimbursement. He replied that I have to cancel my membership to not incur further charges, but he cannot do anything about reimbursement since this is my fault. I asked to speak with the owner and was told that someone will give me a call back.

Is this how a person should be treated when I pay over $2, 000 a year? I understand errors occur, but I am totally taken aback that they are reluctant to address the issue and imply taht the issue is my fault.

To

Comments

• Ni
      22nd of Mar, 2011

What happened here is that there is no such thing as "Renewing" a training membership, since it goes on a term contract. (your regular gym membership is a month to month, and can be renewed, cancelled etc.) so therefore, when you thought you were "renewing your training" what so-and-so did over the phone was add another training account! This new training account extends past your previous account. Your training account is just like a cellphone plan. You have to send in a notice of cancellation for the contract to be terminated, otherwise your billing will be continued to be taken out every month. You should ask for a refund because the sales was misleading and say you would not like to keep your new account. And notice verbally is just as good as the magic dragon saying he is you on the other end of the phone line saying, "charge my card to this number!"... no, you did not sign (so nothing here is legally binding) check the facts on your state, but yes, your sales-trainer will get a big no-no for this, you haven't signed for anything. Cancel your first training membership, and you can do that through your operations manager (who knows everything about the club) and say you would like an end of term cancel. (unless you are done with LA FITNESS altogether, and then you can do a buy-out) (a buy-out is the one out of two ways to cancel your training account, which is paying off 50% of what is left on your contract) Good Luck!