Kool Smiles / staff at kool smiles

Warwick Blvd, Newport News, VA, United States Review updated:

After seeing many commercials on tv about how wonderful Kool Smiles is, I had to take some action. My 4 yr old granddaughter was seen at Kool Smiles for a check up. At her 2nd visit, we were under the impression that she was to have some cavities filled, since she had been there previously for an evaluation. A mask was placed on her face with the nitrous oxide to relax her prior to having dental work completed. After the mask had been on her face, and she had been placed in a reclining position for quite awhile, the staff left the room to discuss with other staff her appropriate dental treatment. They came back into the room, and realized that they had no idea and no records of what she was to have done. The gas was turned off at this point, but the mask was left on. After another 30 minutes of waiting and talking with other staff, they decided to start treatment, which was to include fillings of cavities. At this point, my granddaughter had already been waiting patiently with the mask on for quite awhile. She became upset and started crying. The staff became very irritated with her, and told me that she needs to leave and is not allowed to return to that office. Of course, I had no intention of returning to that office with any children. I was horrified with the treatment my granddaughter received. My daughter has another pediatric dentist that she could have taken her to, but made this appointment since she was able to get her in immediately. Believe me, there is a reason you are able to get into that office quickly. My granddaughter and I both left in tears. Please don't subject any children to this torture. There are many many other dentists that are wonderful and will treat your children with the respect and kindness they deserve. My granddaughter was seen by anther dentist, who stated that she absolutely did not need any fillings. Her checkup and cleaning were completed without any difficulty whatsoever. I hope this helps someone else avoid a terrible experience.

Comments

• Sk
      7th of May, 2012

Why did you leave a 4-year-old unattended that long? Especially since you had no prior experience with them.

I would imagine any child would be frightened and upset by being abandoned by her grandmother to a group of complete strangers - even if the procedure had been handled properly.

• Br
      7th of May, 2012

From the Op's complaint, it sounds like she was in the room with her granddaughter the whole time.

• Sk
      7th of May, 2012

Perhaps you are correct, Brenda* - I read the OP again, and the she could very well have been present the whole time.

Though I would in turn ask why, after seeing the staff sedate her granddaughter, place her in a reclining position, leave the room with the sedation gas on (!) for some time, return, admit they had no idea what treatment to follow, then finally turn off the sedation gas but leave the mask on, leave for another 30 minutes before returning to start treatment, did she not grab her granddaughter and leave at that moment?

30th of May, 2012

As a formal employee of koolsmiles you are totally correct. The Dental Assistant should of never left the girl in oxygen without her being present. Please pass this around, so that people can know that Koolsmiles in only about getting production and destroying teeth. Make sure to ask all doctors to show you the x-rays because all they want to do is chart cavities where there is any. Because doctors see so many patients in volume all they want is to jump from patient to patient. Remember Koolsmiles always advertises that their practice is all about family and great experience, but i use to do their public relation and all of that is false. They just care about bringing more people and whatever cost.