Kitchenaid Superba Microwave / Oven Combo / faulty heating element

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 602 971 1727

We built our home using entirely Kitchenaid appliances because they were touted as being "top of the line" appliances. To our dismay, our Kitchenaid micro/oven combo, (I'd be exaggerating if I said I used it 20 times) is now unuseable. The night of my Christmas party, I put the lower oven on 350 to heat up two cookie sheets of rolled tacos. All of a sudden there were sparks, smoke, and fire. The heating element shorted out and burned a hole in the bottom of the oven and ruined it. There was nothing on the bottom of the oven. I have never even had to clean the oven. Luckily we were right there in the kitchen or it would have burnt down the house! Of course because it is ten years old, no warranty or parts. I figured it cost us $250 per year to have a "high end" oven. I had a Majic Chef drop in that is still working in a house we sold in 1987. Kitchenaid did offer a 15% discount on a new one...really? I wouldn't buy Kitchenaid if it was the last oven made.

Comments

• Cr
      21st of Jan, 2011

This oven is junk. Ours is only 3 years old and the spring in the microwave door only last 1.5 years. It has just broken the second time. KA won't own up to the fact that the design s flawed. Won't pay for repairs or parts. Won't even replace the whole door. You can only buy the spring and then try to install it. Very difficult and expensive when all said and done. So I'm trying to spread the work that the company doesn't stand buy their products. I wish I had come across complaints before we bought this appliance.

• Ju
      3rd of Jun, 2011

We've had the same problem with our microwave door spring. We bought the "superba"model in 2001 and have to replace the spring every 1.5-2 years which costs $200.00 (including labor) each time. I would not recommend the Kitchen Aid combination micro/oven to anyone.