Kaplan University / scam and theft

United States Review updated:
I have been enrolled at Kaplan University as a cash pay student. I have no scholarships and no financial aid. I make cash payments and they record them. Yet the accounting department has created two accounts for me that doubled my tuition cost by almost $30, 000. I have contacted the financial office many times to have this issue resolved. According to the financial office assistants I owe no money but I keep receiving bills. Also my online balance reflects a staggering amount with payments due yet according to the finance office I owe nothing. Since my situation seems simple enough but the financial office still manages to make mistakes with my account I decided that I was not getting my money's worth so I decided to drop out of school. I called to let an academic advisor know that I wish to withdraw. He informed me that I need to talk to my own academic advisor, S. C., who I was never able to get a hold of for unknown reasons.

I set up an appointment to talk to Ms. C. on Friday after 6:00 pm Central Time. I spent the whole evening waiting for the phone call and no one has gotten back to me. Ms. C. called me next week around Wednesday with no apologies or explanations as to why my appointment was not kept. She also sent me an email letting me know who I have to contact in order to withdraw from this school. I have followed her directions precisely and let her know that all the steps were completed. She then informed me that I had to do an exit interview with a senior advisor and set up an appointment on Monday at 6:00 pm Central Time. This appointment was never kept.

I contacted Ms. C. again and informed her that I was getting very frustrated and she did apologize and promised to get back to me. That was the last time I spoke with her. I called again last week and was informed that Ms. C. was not available to take the call but I should make an appointment with her. I made a third appointment on Friday at 3:00 pm and informed the person setting up the appointment that I would be at work. I gave specific instructions that I needed to be contacted at my job and left a phone number. Ms. C. called me at home and left a message even though I made sure to leave my work number. She also had my cell that she could call and would have been able to reach me. I have sent her an email that I was very frustrated and disappointed with the way I am being treated.

Thought this ordeal I kept informing Ms. C. that I planned to finish the current term since I paid almost $2000.00 for it. I have copies of all the emails including the one informing her in writing that I planned to finish this term. I have not heard from Ms. C. so I called the academic advisor and spoke with another person letting her know of the trouble so far. She has been very helpful and I informed her that I planned to finish this term since I already paid for it and was half way through earning 100% in class so far.

Today I tried to log into my class since I have an assignment due this week to work on it but found out that my account has been blocked. I called academic advising and talked to a lady who informed me that I was dropped from the class and that I need to contact my academic advisor, Ms. C., to be reinstated, who is not here on the weekends. So I have been charged almost $2000.00 for a class that I was forced out of for no reason but someone's incompetence and now I cannot get a hold of anyone who could help me access my class. No one is willing to help me and I cannot get a hold of Ms. C. either. I am told that I need to set up an appointment with her but according to my previous experience she is not likely to keep this appointment.

I have copies of all the email correspondences.

Comments

Vi
  5th of Apr, 2008

I have copies of all the email correspondences.
Ka
  12th of Sep, 2008
I had a similar situation occur. I received a scholarship to study at Kaplan U from my company and thought I was doing something great for myself. I used the scholarship for two classes and paid for a third on my own. I did not have any loans or financial aid. I wanted to withdraw because I could no longer afford the tuition. I had so much trouble getting through to any one at Kaplan, least of all my own academic advisor. I finally got through to my advisor and she sent me a detailed email that outlined what I had to do to withdraw. It was so crazy, because I had no financial aid and no balance on my account. I promptly replied to her email but I never heard from her again. No one responded to my emails or phone calls and when I went online to retrive my last grade report, my account was blocked. I got the usual run around when I tried to contact Kaplan. I talked to an academic advisor who said she could not help me, and she referred me to the returning students department. The woman I spoke to there couldn't help me. She referred me to the students account department. The woman I spoke to there listened to me and then told me to wait a few days before I do anything. I thought that was odd. Then she told me not to try to log in to the university. She told me "it's going to cost you money". She was adamant that I not log in and repeatly told me not to try. I took that as a warning and didn't try to log in. The weird thing is, the same day my account was disabled I received an email telling me classes resume onSept. 17th. I also had problems with my account. I would send them an online payment and receive notification they got it and then get a phone call saying I needed to submit payment. It was also weird how they seemed to have 2 different accounts. One would show I owed money and the other would show my balance was paid. When I talked to an admissions advisor when I first enrolled, I smelled something fishy. She was too pushy for one thing and I kept getting the impression that she was trying to sell me. I should have relied on my gut instinct and not enrolled, scholarship or no scholarship. I'm thinking about going to my HR manager and telling her about my experiences so she can report it. All I want is a copy of my last grade report, but I doubt I'll ever get it. I don't think my credits will transfer to another university either so I just poured money down the drain.
Ka
  16th of Sep, 2008
If your looking for help in solving your issues with Kaplan university, Come vent on our student forums for free.

www.kaplanforums.com

Come join us even if your experience was not satisfactory. We can help.

Kaplan University Logo Kaplan University