Kaplan University / scam and cheating

Kaplan University
My son had decided to attend Kaplan online and was applying for student aid, he is 19 and employed, he kept telling us that they needed certain information from us, at first we complied, it all sounded reasonable, then he said they needed for us to apply for a loan, outside the usual fasa request, this was after giving them our info, we have a better than average credit rating, I guess this is why they tried to put us on the hook for this, we of course refused, so my son was looking for alternative financing. That was when he discovered 1 year at Kaplan would cost more than $14, 000, for a degree that would not be honored. How is this legal? They need to be shut down, this is not only fradulent it's cruel. Their financial advisers are not only immoral but rabid telemarketers.

N  24th of Sep, 2008 by
Dealing with the salesman who called me saying he was a Sr. Advisor was an experience in cheap pop psychology aimed at duping the consumer. I know I should have read the reviews first but was overwhelmed with Kaplan's fast and hard sell and the fact that I really wanted to go to school to finally get a degree after 22 years of academic inertia. When I told the advisor I wanted to cancel the agreement and wanted my $1000 back, he was rude. Hmmm... 3-5 wks for a refund. Scary, Scary! When I called in the early morning trying to cancel, they said I must speak to my advisor who only comes in during the late afternoon. In spite of me emailing him the evening before with a cancellation request when I had my epiphany to check the reviews before the 3 day cancellation window passed, the advisor called me today asking if I was ready to sign up for my classes. I told him I had called that very morning to have a guy named Tim Fritz get my cancellation going and that Tim said he would email him, (the advisor) and the advisor sounded surprised. HMMMM... I was then told I had to talk to Marvin the Associate Manager who needed to know why I wanted to cancel. Instead of Marvin taking it from there, he told me I would have to be transferred back to the advisor to finish the process. Marvin was mad when I asked him to repeat his title for me. The advisor was busy so Marvin said he would have to have the advisor call me back. Yep, you guessed it... no call back. I emailed the advisor and I got a short, abrupt, you no longer are my sales target attitude and was told it would take 3-5 weeks for a refund. Hmmm... bad business. I hope I get my $1000 back.
N  28th of Feb, 2009 by
Kaplan University first contacted me on Feb 12, 2009 via my online inquiry. The admissions advisor was very personable and friendly. After spending an hour on the phone with them the stated that I needed to fill out enrollment forms and forward those along with my FASFA information. I did so on the 14th and a week went by with no reply from the advisor or any one at Kaplan. I called the advisor and was told my email was mistakenly directed to their spam folder. They apologized and gave me a $1000 voucher to go towards my final semister before graduation. Basically a coupon for $1000 off the cost of tuition.

I then had to take an Academic Readiness test online which consisted of 30 questions upon which you get 8 minutes to complete. They do not expect you to answer all questions in the alotted time as the questions get more difficult as you proceed through the test. I submitted the test and the following day received an email from the admissions advisor that I did FANTASTIC and to give them a call so that we could begin registering for classes.

When contacted the advisor asked me how many questions I answered. Now I'm thinking if they have the test there in front of them they should know how many questions I answered. I replied that I had no idea. They said I got 26 right. I know for a fact I did not get through to 26 questions. I may have gotten to 15 but not 26.

They immediately transferred me to a class advisor who was to register me for classes but was told they could not find the results of the test and that my assigned advisor would call me the next day at 1:00. By 2 o'clock a call was yet to be received. I contacted the advisor and got the impression that they had no idea they were to call me. They stalled a while and then it seemed as though they were distracted. I was then told they 'might have to go into a staff meeting. Oh yes, we have to go into a staff meeting. I call you back right after the meeting.'

These red flags along with all the report about Kaplan help me to make up my mind to un-enroll from Kaplan University before I was out thousands of dollars like I have read about on [redacted].com.

Thank you everyone who has been kind enough to share your Kaplan misfortunes with the rest of us. I'm sorry for your struggles but will pray that the Kaplan reaps what they sow!
D  1st of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am attending Kaplan now.
And I disagree with this blogger. I switched from U of Phoenix, because the first term my grades were driven by the "CLASS " project where 3 out of 19 people actually did the work.
And the U of Phoenix instructor had no clue about subject matter which he stated that at the beginning of the class.

When I asked for information from Kaplan, I got a quick response. The advisor interviewed me and told me about my options. They were friendly and explained everything. Then they transferred my call to a Financial officer who helped me get through that mess.

My class advisor has helped me on a number of occasions. It is always my choice, and my plan.

My instructors have all worked in the fields they are teaching in.
I feel that Kaplan is a much better learning environment and gives a better value.

Rosemary J
D  9th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
If you check with the Department of education that is FAFSA rules for dependent students not the schools.

www.chea.org shows the level of accred. and the validity of a degree.

A  2nd of Dec, 2009 by
Did you finally get your money?
A  2nd of Dec, 2009 by
I agree with you 100%. I just started Oct 14, 2009 and June 2010 will be my last class in this school.
N  16th of Jan, 2010 by
hey lets get together and fight this!

Kaplan university ripped me off SPREAD IT!

Many people don't know they can do something about this!

Kaplan University Logo Kaplan University