Jitterbug Phone / Terrible service!

1 Del Mar, CA, United States Review updated:

I had a poor experience with one operator at Jitterbug. I then came here and generalized my experience against the entire company. Within 2 HOURS of sending an emai complaint to Jitterbug, on a Satderday NIGHT, I had TWO replies from the VP. The following day I was contacted by another person who had completely corrected the entire situation. Both of these people went over and above to correct the situation and assured me that my experience was an exception to the rule. I am firmly convinced that they are correct and that I have been wrong. I am posting this here in hopes of correcting some of the negative comments I posted earlier. Any company that responds the way this company has is way above the highest standard; working in full integrity from top to bottom. I have no idea what was really going on with the operator I first spoke with, but I am certain that Jitterbug will deal with it and do whatever is the right thing to do for all concerned.

More Jitterbug Phone Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Jo
  26th of Dec, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

This company doesn't care about its customers. They may be back peddling due to all the negative reviews they have received online, but they'll be back to business as usual after the New Year, cutting corners and ripping customers off as usual.

Im
  27th of Dec, 2007

Disagree with you Todd -- and besides you may want to verify the name of the VP you spoke with, seems like everyone is a VP at that company. I wonder who truly does the work. I have made a New Year's resolution to discontinue my service with GreatCall. I generally like to give businesses a chance to perform exceptional customer service but after speaking with several of their reps; it's hopeless. The company is a scam and just wants to make a buck; they don't care about their demographics. I would check out the competition and check out the blogs before making decision to purchase this phone/service.

Ma
  6th of Mar, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I totally agree. About a month ago, I became unable to make outgoing calls. Callers could call my inbox, but I never got the message. Annoying. I've called the company twice, both times was told a tech would call me back. Never did. Then I e-mailed. I have yet to receive a reply.

So today I cancelled my service. At the end of the conversation, the operator told me that they would send a mailing label to mail my phone back because since it was their problem, I shouldn't have to pay. Not thinking, I said "OK."

After I got off the phone, I said to myself "Whoa! Didn't I pay $147 for that phone?" Why they heck would I be sending it back?

Mi
  9th of Mar, 2008

I know first-hand that Jitterbug is a rip off. I live in North Florida half of the year and Southern California the rest of the time, and my cell reception is just awful when I travel. Not to mention, I've been scammed on my bill for 6 months now with all kinds of extra charges that are not mine. My oldest son has to call and handle it for me because the Jitterbug customer service gets my stomach all in knots. They have some rude youngsters working up at this company who would just as soon spit on you than help you or solve the issue. Also, I have personal health problems and I wish Jitterbug would work so I could have the 911 handy. Jitterbug is a real disappointment and they have let my family and me down.

Ra
  26th of Apr, 2008

Their return policy sucks. I ordered 2 phones. They billed me 1/2 @ $176.00 I returned the phones due to size. They billed me $52.38 but left the $176 on the credit card instead of remitting the $176 at the same time they added their new charge. Not quite what thei ad on return policy states. I won't quibble about the return fee, but it is a bit high. My conversation with them to return it was neither rude nor friendly.

13th of May, 2008

I agree totally that Jitterbug is a rip-off! I ended up calling and cancelling my service which I never actually recieved because they never set up my phone for me, but still charged me for it! I called 5 times to complain about not being able to use my phone, and nothing got done about it. Seemed like they just wanted to keep stringing me along. They didn't try very hard either to make me happy when i cancelled, all they did was offer to give me back my set up fee. I said no way, i'm fed up and i'm returning the phone. It's their loss, because I was so excited about getting it and all it turned out to be was a huge dissapointment and an even bigger headache!!!

R
  3rd of Jun, 2008

I ordered a Jitterbug phone for my elderly mother for emergency use. So far it only worked the first day she had it. There is no service and her stored phone numbers no longer come up. I called customer service three times now w/ no success fixing the problem. Finally I was promised that a tech person would call me back to help. Now, two days later, no one has called yet. I already paid a bill for one month of service (although she only
had the phone for 2 weeks when I got the bill).

If I don't get this thing fixed tomorrow I am sending the phone back and I better get a full refund on it plus a refund for the service I paid for (since there has been none). I could not be less satisfied by the service at this point. I will not recommend this phone to anyone.

6th of Jun, 2008

I hear you. Here I am, let's see now, 42 days after I returned the phone to Best Buy where i bought it, and I still haven't gotten my set up fee back yet. I've called 5 times already asking them where it is. They just keep stringing me along. Called yesterday, they told me it was credited back to me 3 days ago, Hmmmm, then why isn't it back in my bank account? If it doesn't show up in my account within next few days, I'm calling the attourney general's office, i've had enough of their crap and lies. Buyers Beware, DO NOT BUY A JITTERBUG, SAVE YOURSELF A HUGE HEADACHE. I orinally wanted a jitterbug because i hated cellphone's, well all they did was make me hate cellphone's even more!

8th of Jun, 2008

Finally got my money back. I'm totally done now with jitterbug. Good luck to anyone else struggling with them trying to get money back or whatnot.

Vi
  24th of Sep, 2008

Ok, guys! You've convinced me. I have enough to do without jitterbug grief! Guess I'll stick with Verizon. Thanks!

Ch
  13th of Oct, 2008

I have another phone service and have been with it for many years I hate my presant phone company and would change in a second.I just can't find a phone company that tells the truth! We are at there mercy. It ts just terrible to read these complaints and I can't find anyone praising this company so I will stay were I at because I know what to expect watch every bill and pay only what you want to pay and if they decide it not a enough they will turn it off and that will be it!

Hope Youall Find One Thats Right Good Luck

Chris

Em
  23rd of Oct, 2008

I have an equal if not crazy story about this company.

After arguing with the woman on the phone. I finally

received the return address of the company, And I still
don't know if it is correct. 2000 usg or 2002 sg????
It was not pleasant. I received 2 phones. One I ordered
and supposedly one that was ordered by my husband by
phone, who was in the hospital getting a triple by-pass,
The woman insisted on talking to my husband about
ordering the phone. Finally she gave in and gave me the so-called address. (Do you notice they do not say where
you can return the phone if you decide not to keep it?)
Well we still have one of these phones. Wish I didn't
order any . You have to call in to activate phone. And
believe it or not the phone #2 which was not even opened
in pristeen shape I have to pay a $35 activation fee.
They say it is already sent activated. They lie, lie, and lie.
So Why did I have to call in to activate the 1st phone?
I just is not worth it. All kinds of bells and whistles and
hoops to jump through. We have not used the phone yet
we have had it for a couple weeks . I have the thought to avoid more aggravation and problems which we certainly
don't need. Just to let the whole thing just drag out and
cancel itself out. Right ---Just a simple phone on hand for
emergencies. What a shame aarp has endorsed this.
I Ordered this from Gold Violin catalog. No more ordering
from them. And when I finish here I will let them know what a lousy company jitterbug is. Jitterbug is aptly
named, They jump all over not to let you get a simple
phone which is their so-called logo saying. Yeah! They
provide all the hoops barrels whistles and bells if you contact them. Get ready to jump through the hoops!
By the way could someone please provide me with the
return address for one of these phones? I feel I don't
have the correct one. Now that I certainly would appreciate.

Mrs. Pieczkiewicz

De
  6th of Nov, 2008

I haven't tried Jitterbug (thank goodness), but definitely look at to-go pay-as-you-go plans. If you don't use the phone too much, they are so much better! I use the Verizon one, the basic plan - .99 per day as long as I'm in network. If I don't use the phone, I won't pay that day. No hassles, no commitment.

Jb
  14th of Nov, 2008

The return address for Jitterbug is:

Jitterbug Returns Center
RA# (insert old account number here)
2000 USG Drive
Libertyville, IL 60048

Ma
  17th of Mar, 2009

Thank God I came across this board. I was about to purchase a jitterbug phone for my mother who is 88 yrs. old and jitterbug by samsung is the only phone made to service senior citizens. I don't know why none of the major carriers have this option of a phone. This is a large part of the population that needs to be serviced. Nonetheless, after reading all these problems with jitterbug service, I think I will just take the time to try and teach my mom how to use a regular cell. I'm sure it will be much less of a headache than what I have read here. Thank you for the advance notice. It probably was a life saver.

Bl
  30th of May, 2009

I totally recommend Comsumer Cellular (consumercellular.com). The have great affordable plans for elderly people with excellent service.

Pc
  4th of Aug, 2009

This company preys upon the elderly and disabled. I wish I had done more research before buying a Jitterbug for my 18 year old disabled daughter. She used the phone only a handful of times and the battery ran out. We tired to recharge to no avail. I called the company to get some advice on how to recharge. After telling me to do a few things and confirming that the phone sounded like it was in great condition she told me to send the phone in. I questioned this, as I still had two weeks left to return the phone to the retail store for a full refund. "No, " she said send it in to us and we will figure out the problem and correct it. Against my better judgement, I did as asked. I trusted the company to do the right thing. If I even thought that the phone was damaged or unfixable I never would have sent it back to the company, I would have returned it to the store. Anyway three weeks later I still had not heard from Jitterbug, so I called to inquire. At his point I was told that the phone was not fixable and I would have to pay another $150 for a new phone. I couldn't believe it. Do not buy a Jitterbug. They are a total rip-off. I am writing to AARP, the National Down syndrome society, the National society for disabled persons, advertisers and retailers to let them know my experience. I hope others will do the same. Shame on Jitterbug/greatcall

An
  21st of Aug, 2009

It's unbelievable that the same scam companies that have long lists of complaints, advertise on the same sites.
When it comes to the economics of advertising, the buck reins supreme. There should be a law that demands people to go onine before buying any advertised item and check out all the complaints.

Ch
  14th of Oct, 2009

I am so pissed off at Jitterbug I could spit blood.
First it worked allright...then I could not recieve calls...then I could not make calls.
I told them this was a phone for someone whom has severe health and wealthfare issuses.
They would say there is somekind of a connection problem and it would be fixed in 48 hours.
Well that was a total ### lie
I demanded they send me a new phone overnight and when I didn't reieve it I called up and the rep gave me a bogus UPS tracking number.
I am cancelling if I don't get this squared away in the next day or so.
And if they don't refund, I'll be glad to start a class action suit to put these ###s out of buisness.
Who knows how many people have come to near death or even died because of their negligence.
Charlie in Houston

Bl
  15th of Oct, 2009

I am flabbergasted that Jitterbug continues to operate business in this country. They are conning our senior citizens, disabled and others out of hard earned funds. Why aren't the lawyers who need work taking on this company? Expose them by writing to the television network and radio broadcasting network. WHEN A BUG GETS ANNOYING, YOU STEP ON IT.