JD Byrider / taking our car for an honest mistake

1 Muskegon, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 231 739 5500

We purchased a 2002 Dodge Stratus from this place because my husband wanted to rebuild his credit. Well we figured it sounded good and we needed a vehicle. Our payments were automatically deducted from one of our banking accounts, well on our 3rd payment I had by mistake forgot to account for a 8 dollar check that I had written, well our payment was 100 dollars. I was short 2.54 cents. We called them and told them our mistake and gave them my our other account to take the money out of. They called and said because we were late and didnt have enough money they were going to take our car. We told them we could pay them that day and they would not let us, we had the money and were willing to pay them but they saidmy husband wasnt working with them and he never gave them his account number. My husband travels a lot and needs his car, but they said they had to pick it up. They would not even work with us and they wanted the car back, we were going to pay them and they would not let us!!! If we were a few months behind I would understand, but we said we would pay them and they would not let us!!! So my husband had to tell them to pick it up because they said if he didnt tell them his address he would call the police on him and issue a warrant and take him to court!!

Comments

• Wa
      25th of Oct, 2009

I understand your issue.
    Fact is that the court proceedings and warrant and repo takes weeks, if not months depending how busy the courts are.
    It's not a criminal case unless it's clear u never intended to pay for the vehicle.
    This was a civil matter that would have taken weeks to get the car back.
    By then I would have depreciated it's value by the amount I payed into it 8-) if it really happened this way and they would not work with you at all and u never missed a payment before then.
    I am sorry you didn't know the laws and the way the system works at that time Ms, I am sorry for your husband and anyone else this effected.

Better luck in the future.
    It's hard to know the laws, but it's easy to ignore them at your own convenience most of the time as long as your not hurting anyone.