Hughesnet.com / rip off

1 NY, United States Review updated:

There is no download manager for mac / itunes. And there are strict usage policies that will have you on almost constant suspension if you own a mac and sign-up with hughesnet. I am a mac user. I was told this would be no problem when I ordered. I was concerned about of being able to download large files and questioned the salesperson. I was told could get a download manager — no problem — and download large files between 3am and 6am.

There are no download managers for itunes, which is how macs download music and video files. I have called tech support many times. I am regularly on suspension, meaning no access to the internet for 24 hours. This has seriously hurt my business. The hughesnet phone computer keeps me on hold eternally, and hangs up on me regularly. They respond to support emails with useless rhetoric and form letters.

Sa

Comments

• Bi
      8th of Jul, 2008

hughesnet is the worst going to get dsl.they wont your questionsthey wont even answer the phoneshow do they stayin busniessif they dont get me fixedand soon two months is too long to be without computeri will call tv have them come out and watch me pull it off the roofthis is the worst service i have seen dial up is betteranswer the damn phonefix my net or get it off my rooff

• De
      21st of Nov, 2008

Hughesnet is the biggest rippoff I've been associated that I can remember. We got it ( DireCway) right after Hurricane Rita when the cable provider did not re establish service to my area. I was under the impression it was unlimited and never heard of the (Un ) Fair access policy until it became HughesNet. I was told I could upgrade to the HN7000S modem for faster connections and more usage.

• Ld
      1st of Sep, 2009

Bill Moss, I can't even read your complaint. Ever hear of puncuation marks? It would help to know if you had a valid complaint if it were intelligible.

I dislike Hughes as much as the next person. I've been with them for 9 years (they have always been Hughes - Direcway was a branding name, just like HughesNet is now). They have always had a FAP - just like any other legal BS, you have to read the information. Don't blame them for having an FAP and you not knowing. Yes, it's vague and anything BUT fair, but they had it 9 years ago. Wild Blue also has one.

I don't recommend satelite to anyone. The only reason I still have it is because there just is no other viable option in my area. There are plenty of legitimate complaints about Hughes, including the implementation of the FAP. No knowing it existed won't hold water for a real complaint report, though.

Real problems - Implementation of FAP: i.e, over what time fram is the thrreshold accumulation calculated?
    Reinstatement of service after FAP implimentation (discrestionary, and often exceeds 24 hours).
    Why FAP levels can be raised by buying next higher service tier (availabitly goverened by monopolistic pricing).
    Documented limiting of bandwidth between the hours of 4:00 PM and Midnight Eastern time.
    Hughes charges $125 just to call a service tech to come to your home, without telling that you still have to pay them, OR telling you that you can call them yourself (i had to do both).

• Cp
      13th of Oct, 2010

I have Hughesnet because I have no other option. The price is ridiculous and the service is horrific! If you have any other option, take it! If you download ANYTHING you will be put on the FAP and it's slower than dial up. The download manager is a joke! Applications like iTunes are not compatible with it.
    If anyone knows of a better option in an area that has very poor cell service, no cable and no DSL I would love to hear about it!