Hughesnet / scam rip off

1 OH, United States Review updated:

If you don't believe what I am about to right I suggest you google HUGHESNET and see for yourself. I have had it for 6 months and I have never had so much crap from anything like this in my life. First you see the commercial promising you FASTER service for those who cannot get high speed/broadband. Anyone can get high speed they say. Well for about 60 minutes a day it does put out a decent speed. After 6 months if the wind blows and moves your satellite a millimeter than you must pay 125$ for someone to come and tweak it for you each and every time. Each day if you are on any longer than an hour it slows down to slower than dial up for 24 hours. Doesn't matter if you are downloading music or just surfing after about 60 minutes you are done. Thinking about Hughes Net for online college classes forget about it, its NOT DEPENDABLE in any way. Downloading movies? Ha that would take you 1 week to get 1 movie. YOUTUBE, you might get 7 or 8 viewed before you are slow as a snail. I have reported this to the better business bureau our state senators and reported this all over the Internet. I have even sent e-mails to channels on TV who run their ads. So far to no avail. The stimulus package was supposed to send money out to rural areas to upgrade systems so people in rural areas could get broadband and of course that got depleted. Its like doesn't the GOV does not realize that if people has a good internet service in rural areas they could get an online education, do job searches and educate themselves? ( Hell they have it in South America but not South East OHIO etc) No one cares and no one will do anything about HUGHESNET ripping people off. 60$ a month for nothing and I mean nothing. Open up about 10 email pics and you are done for 24 hours.
Don't forget once you accept their service you are stuck with it for 2 years. So hear me now DO NOT GET HUGHESNET. Try Direct TV or Dish Network or wait it out to see if things get upgraded in your area. You shouldn't have to pay 125$ every time the wind blows.

Comments

• De
      28th of May, 2007
    Hughesnet - Lies about cost

I was lied about cost installer was suppose to show me how to use he was late and took hours to install. I was told he would show me how to use he did not i was told cost would be 49/month after 1 payment of 102 dollars when i got my second bill it was for 102 when i call they said i had to pay that for 15 month i was not told that when i told to cancel they said that they where going to charge me 700 dollars.

• Ke
      24th of Oct, 2007

What is the alternative for high spree internet in a rural area?

• Ot
      1st of Jan, 2008
    Hughesnet - Not as advertised!
    Hughesnet

OK Folks...It's all been said about Hughesnet. Everything you have read is true. If you subscribe to this service you are an IDIOT! I'm an idiot because I've subscribed. In 20 words or less: not much faster than dial up. READ THE FINE PRINT!

• Su
      18th of Mar, 2008
    Hughesnet - Very bad service all around!
    HughesNet
    Maryland
    Phone: 1-866-347-3292
    www.hughes.net

The worse service cost me 600 then 79.99 for the past year and its only gotten worse i have dial up speed and they have no solution to me, to bad your not getting anything, but what you have. Is there any way to stop these people and make them pay me back all they have stolen from me.

24th of Apr, 2008
    Hughesnet - Early termination
    Missouri

This internet company is a rip off!!! You want to charge me $640 for early termination. Early termination because the connection is slow!!! because i don't get what you have promised!!!

I can't believe it!!!

• Hu
      13th of Jul, 2008
    Hughesnet - sorry service all around!
    Hughesnet

I heard a radio ad spot for Hughesnet today, and thought I should call the station to claim false advertising...They make it sound so great, but the download limit?????? That was the news I got after I signed the contract...should have read the fine print, I guess..This is a bad bad deal for the cost! Class Action suit?? Sounds good to me.

• La
      16th of Aug, 2008

I agree totally! After I had completed my first 24 month contract, I got a post card with a HUGE "FREE" notice on the front...for an upgrade...supposedly FREE! Well, I got the new tower but failed to read the minute type on the back "24 month service contract required".
    When I called to cancel my contract because of lousy service, they informed me that I would be charged $300 early termination fee. My credit card company says I"m screwed because they posted the requirements however small the printing. I find that deceptive advertising but thought I had no recourse until I saw the Executive Customer Service number posted. I'm calling on Monday morning!

• Do
      6th of Oct, 2008

I am having the same problems. Slow service, can't get any support. Rebat check no good. They very rude when I get any one on the phone. The service is no good and there is nothing I can go about it because they want to charge me $600.00 to diconnect early.

• Ji
      17th of Nov, 2008
    Hughesnet - Sporadic Service
    2615 County Hwy 34
    Haleyville
    Alabama
    Phone: 205-485-9227

This system at times is not as good as the dial-up that it replaced. HughesNet only works like it is supposed only about 12 to 14 days out of the month and the rest of the time I am hopelessly back to a semi-dial-up system. I pay for an entire month of good service but to no avail. If I had it do over, I would not go with HughesNet. They are a rip-off.

• Pa
      6th of Jan, 2009

I signed up for this service when it was DirecWay and was very impressed. However, since Hughesnet took over I am disgusted with the service. I pay 85 bucks a month. I cannot get cable or anything else where I live and being an online educator and designer this seemed like a good option at the time. Tonight it has taken me 2.45 hours so far and I am still waiting for a 9 meg file to finish uploading. It's a joke!

• Sh
      25th of Jan, 2009

I also found out about the download limit after trying to downlaoad a CAD program, Which I was no made aware of until I called to find out why I could not download the program. Also called to cancel service on a August 25, s008, I called the Friday before. Billed for 2 months after service cancelled because they said I did not call back on Monday the 25th even though in their computer they saw where I wanted the services cancelled. Continue with the class action suite

• Sc
      2nd of Mar, 2009

For those of you who paid in advance for HughesNet equipment, as I did, apparently some states have a law that in essence says: if you paid in advance for your equipment, then the company CANNOT charge you a cancellation fee. I had HughesNet; the WORST piece of crap in the world. Did not perform as advertised, and was constantly under the FAP slowdown, due to my wife's telecomuting. I cancelled early because we were able to use a Verizon Aircard. Check out that option, all the cell providers have them.
    When Hughes charged me with the cancellation fee of almost $300, I sent them a certified letter informing them that I would take them to small claims court since I had prepaid. With no arguement, the then credited me the money back. Check it out with your state's Attorney General's office. It's worth a try.

• Mi
      28th of Jun, 2009

If you have Windows set for automatic upgrades, you'll get clobbered when the next service pack tries to download. That's just not right. You can go all month long using minimal bandwidth but when a large Windows update comes down the pike, you lose service for 24 hours not to mention the failed download. Certain OS and application upgrades should get a free pass.

• Sc
      2nd of Jul, 2009
    Hughesnet - internet speed much slower than promised
    hughesnet
    Dunnes shop road
    Charlottesville

Beware!!! hughesnet speed is getting slower as the customers increase, that is my experience after 18 months of service, when my system developed problems, the subcontractor tried very HARD to sell me a new contract and new system. When I wanted to cancel I was charged the remaining cost of service. This is not a customer friendly business. Again, do not get taken by Hughesnet.

• St
      4th of Sep, 2009
    Hughesnet - False Advertising, Illegal Charges
    Hughesnet.com
    1051 county line trail
    mansfield
    Georgia

Hughesnet falsely advertises no connection/install fee and then charges your credit card anyway. NO customer service, no itemized bill telling you what the huge and illegal credit card charges are for, they are thieves and at best totally dishonest and inept. STAY AWAY FROM THESE CROOKS

• Bu
      6th of Sep, 2009

Here is information regarding a Class Action Lawsuit against HughesNet:

PBM Files Class Action Against HughesNet --- Satellite Broadband Company

The law-firm of Pogust, Braslow, & Millrood, LLC, recently filed in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, a lawsuit against HughesNet, Inc., Hughes Communications, Inc., and Hughes Network Systems, LLC, for breach of contract and frauduluent business practices involving the marketing of the HughesNet® Satellite Broadband Network System.

Filed on behalf of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers, the Complaint alleges inter alia that the satellite broadband Company's nationwide advertisement of "Highspeed Internet by Satellite: Wherever Whenever" was materially false and misleading.

The class action lawsuit also alleges that HughesNet intentionally "oversold" its bandwidth, whereby thousands of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were subjected to limited Internet broadband accessibility, speed, functionality, and connectivity.

Additionally, it is alleged that HughesNet actively marketed HughesNet® subscribers and consumers to upgrade their broadband plan under the representation that such would result in faster Internet broadband access. Despite this, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers experienced significant broadband delays, including extremely slow uploading/downloading speeds, unreliable connectivity, and the inability to access email. Furthermore, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were often required to incur additional costs, fees, and early termination penalities, as a result of HugheNet's false advertising.

If you or someone you know is a HughesNet® subscriber and/or customer and have experienced similar Internet broadband related issues, please contact our law-firm for a free consultation.

• Ri
      22nd of Mar, 2010

hughes net made false details about what counts as down loads to me before i bought the service i think they should be legally made to give the service they sold me and any attemp to resolve issues with hughes is nothing but a merry go round with people you can't understand and don't care about anything except passing you to a different person it is the worst things that internet wishfulls have came accross they find the people that are hoppe to have a decent internet conection and make false promises and mislead them and in my case i was just plain lied to by sales reps at hughes net including the installer if it was as promised it would be a very good investment but all was just lies

• Ro
      11th of May, 2017

@riped by hughes.net My situation exactly! Extortion & lies! They should be out of this business! My support for all class action law suites on them!

• Ri
      14th of Jun, 2010
    Hughesnet - It's slower than dialup when it works
    hughesnet.com

It's slower than dialup when it works. Three trips by the tech, 2 new modems. Oh plus you have to wiat three days for tech to show up and all he does is change parts. Really Disapointed. I don't see how they can rip you off legally. Plus I'm out right at 600.00 bucks. Please don't even call them. Please save yourself the frustation.

• Ra
      27th of Jun, 2011

From the beginning we have been given false information. We were sold a plan for 5mb downloads for $114.00 (Order # 2760702)per month by adam employeee # 148926, then just before the installation we were told this service was not available and we were offered 2mb downloads for 89.99 (Pro 200)this was from Andrew. We asked if we would be able to stream videos, netflix and use the xbox live and were told NO PROBLEM!!! When the installer finally arrived he recommended we upgrade our router and insisted there would be no problem streaming videos, netflix, etc. So the day of the installation we go out and buy the latest and greatest wireless router for $160.00. Waste of money because Netflix downloads poorly if at all, then you are downgraded within a couple of hours for exceeding your daily downloads...We called customer service first because we had been charged $114.00 not the 89.99 and found out they had us down for the Pro 200 plus, which came with an ip address that we did not need... so they correct that mistake telling us they downgraded us employee (25575034. We said no this is not going to work for us. Since we are unable to download Netflix, or stream videos we don't need the 2gb service we want to be downgraded to the 1gb service with NO CONTRACT... He said He could not do this because we were already downgraded from the Pro 200 plus (Which we DID NOT ORDER) to the Pro 200 and then hung up on us... So once again I called hughesnet and spoke with allen whom refused to give me his employee id number. I requested to be transfered to a supervisor and after waiting 31 minutes was hung up on. I called back AGAIN... Once again I explained my dissatisfaction was supposed to be transfered to a Supervisor..(they lie about that also after an hour we learn this guy is NOT a supervisor either) So we waste over 2hours of our time with these idiots. the only good thing is all their conversations are recorded... So now we had to go back and request the logs of our original conversation and have documented the fact that we were told if we were not satisfied then we would be able to get the 1gb service with no contract... This is now where we are at... This company dangles a carrot in front of you and then pulls switch and bait tactics to string you along and lock you into a contract...We were previously with WildBlue for several years, we had completed our contract and the only reason we switched was because of the promises made to us... Which are recorded... Nothing makes you angrier then being taken advantage of a company that is being government subsidised...

• La
      18th of Jul, 2011
    Hughesnet - Lack of service/Tech suppor
    Hughes
    20008 State Hwy AB
    Bloomfield
    Missouri
    Phone: 573-568-3884

I have Hughesnet as my internet provider. My email function does not work and the techs they provide do not speak english. I do not wish to continue paying for a service I do not receive. Additionally, I was promised a $250.00 rebate when I received this service and have yet to receive my rebate...it has been over a year.