Hughes Network Systemsphone service

Review updated:

I purchased a campground in Jan. 2017. On Feb. 7, I contacted Jeff Abert, a sales representative, to talk about switching my service from a residential to a business line. I wanted to provide WiFi for my campground and a business number. My chief concern was that I would not be able to keep the number (865.435.6009) as it is linked to all of my advertising, signs, business cards, reservations desk, etc. Jeff assured me that I would not have a problem. He did not tell me that there was a 5 - 10 business day porting wait.

Approximately March 16, 2017 an installer came and changed out my service and gave me some equipment that needed to be returned to HughesNet. He said they would be sending me a box. Jeff had told me to call the business office to ensure that they had moved me from a residential to a business acct. so that I would not be double billed. Finally, after waiting for the box, I called on March 24, 2017. Come to find out, I was being double billed, and they had not sent a box.

I am dependent on this phone as my campground is in the middle of a circle of mountains and NO cell phones receive any kind of signal.

My phone was shut down immediately. I called everyday until March 27, 2017. I talked to a bunch of people... nobody had any clue as to why it was shut down. Finally, on March 27 after talking to multiple people, i finally talked to the super nice guy Chris. He figured out that the installer had not left the correct phone equipment and that i needed a different ATA box. I was assured that they would escalate this and send me a box right out. In the mean time, Chris got my phone back in service after being out for 4 days. I was on the phone with Hughesnet 5.5 HOURS on that day.

So I waited for my ata box to come. It didn't come and I had a phone and I did not want a 5 - 10 day wait on my phone during my busiest season. So I did nothing!

On April 20, 2017, my phone was cut off again! Again, I call and go through a bunch of representatives. Nobody knows why my phone is cut off... I tell the representatives that I HAVE to have a working phone. I call again on April 21, still it is a mystery why I can't have a working phone. Again, I tell them I have to have a working phone.

Friday night, April 21, 2017, I have a missing child at my campground and a very distraught parent. I have NO phone to call anyone. (Again, there is NO cell phone coverage) After several hours, we found the child. But this was completely unacceptable.

Saturday, April 22, 2017, I call again. Tell them that I have to have a phone and that I had had an emergency the night before and there was no way to get help. Finally they say I need a new ATA box. No surprise there! They tell me that it has been escalated and I will have it on Tuesday, April 25. I tell them I have to have a phone.

Saturday night, we had a flash flood. One of the campers decides to go across the creek which is flooded. If he had not been drunk, he would have been strapped into his Side X Side. Thankfully, he had no kids with him. He loses control of his buggy, floats out, thankfully, and the buggy goes down the creek, flipping repeatedly as it goes. He would have drown if he had been strapped in. If a child had been with him, they would have drown as well. I had no phone to call an emergency squad, i had no phone to call to get his buggy pulled out. Fortunately for me, I had a couple of first responders visiting ... this could have been tragic!

On Sunday, April 23, 2017, I have to go to town to use my cell phone to call a wrecker to tow a stuck RV out. At least this was not an emergency.

I continue to call, DAILY, begging for a phone... Finally on Thursday, April 27, 2017, I get the ATA box. I install it... wait a few minutes and YAY! I have a working phone.

But wait... now it is the wrong number and my customers still can not call me to make reservations.

I call again! They tell me I have to request a port and that it will be 5 - 10 business days! So my customers still can not call.

SO... I have been without a working phone/wrong number since April 20, 2017.

As of today, it has been 13 days since I have gotten any calls for reservations. This is killing my business. It is ridiculous and I cannot possible wait the 5 - 10 business days they say it will take to port the number.

I did not request the April 20, 2017 porting of my phone. I knew that I did not have the correct equipment and I would not have chosen my busiest time to have my phone shut down for 5 - 10 days.

I have lost a TON of money.

I need HughesNet to do something. I have kept all my documentation and will be forwarding it to my attorney, Joseph Van Hook, if you can not settle this matter.

Best regards,

Marianne Burns

  • Updated by Cody Burns · May 01, 2017

    i put the wrong name at the top. It is

May 01, 2017
Sort by: UpDate | Rating


  • As
      Aug 09, 2017

    We are sorry about the confusion and the issues you had. Please come here and leave us a case number so that we can help you, or, come to twitter and direct message us @AskHughes.

    Thank you,
    –Andrew from HughesNet

    0 Votes

Post your comment