Hotels.com / rip off!

1 Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:

Hotels.com is a rip-off, DO NOT USE!, When I went to get quotes from the hotel, they told us a rate of 64.99, we called hotels.com to get a cheaper rate. They quoted us 60.00 flat rate + tax, so I accepted that rate and setup my reservations. I booked the room for 3 days, which should have been around 65.00 per night which figures to be 195.00 for the three nights. On last day of my stay, when I checked my account they had withdrew 235.00. They charged me instead of 60.00 per night 71.65 per night (which is more than the state tax required). I also notice they charged an additional charge of 19.74 for an extra guest, (but it was only for two people which is the rate they gave me of 60.00 for the two of us). I then called customer service to discuss this and they told me it was a charge of tax and service charge that the hotel charged, and those charges didn't have anything to do with them. When I went to discuss it with the hotel, they said they couldn't discuss the bill because I went thru hotels.com that I would have to take that up with them. After the run-around, I called hotels.com back and they said once again that Extended Stay America had charged tax and service charge. So I didn't get anything resolved with them after going back and forth from the hotel to hotels.com, so I will never ever use them again, the prices that the hotel gives you in the end will be a better price. I don't put any of the blame on "Extended Stay America" because I didn't go thru them but thru hotels.com. My stay at the room was good, I didn't have any problems with the stay, except that I had to pay 5.00 more to use their internet and the tv only went to channel 30 which was more news channels, so I had to go rent movies, other than that the stay was good.

Comments

• At
      8th of Aug, 2008

Hotels.com is definitely a rip-off. I booked a room on hotels.com and was charged $535. When I checked out of the hotel, I was told that I should have been charged $421. When I emailed Hotels.com about this, they told me that $421 is the rate they negotiated with the hotel, and that the hotel gave me that amount in error. I checked back with the hotel and they admitted their mistake in giving me that information. So, hotels.com pocketed $114 of my money. I could have saved it if I had just booked through the hotel directly. Now I know better.

• Pi
      1st of Nov, 2010

Same experience -- what you see is not what you get. Paid an extra $15/night because of their falsified "pay this price!" on the website. Read carefully before you book.

• Sc
      15th of Dec, 2010

On 4th july this year we used hotel.com to book a room on travelodge rt 66 in Flagstaff, Az.when we got there travelodge would not honor the booking as hotel.com hadn't paid the bill.so there we where 5 of us with nowhere to stay.the idiot at travelodge said if we don't leave he'd call the cops as if it was our fault.I phoned hotel.com to sort it out, they said they'd find another hotel.
    hotel.com never ever to this day phoned us for a follow up, in fact, they removed the booking ref from their system so we couldn't leave a review.
    I'll never use hotel.com or travelodge again.

• Si
      26th of Aug, 2011

Hotels.com stole $572.03 from me. I booked my hotel using an agent over the phone. When he couldn't get my first choice to go through I settled on my second choice. A confirmation email of my second choice was sent to me. A month later my credit card bill arrived and I was billed for both. I called Hotels.com thinking it would only take 5 minutes to clear up since our conversation was recorded when I booked my hotel and I only received one conformation email on the hotel I stayed at. 9 Phone calls later and they still will not reimburse me.

• Ho
      11th of Jan, 2012

itried to book with hotels.com for hotel avenida, praia da rocha, cost is 2968 (two thousand nine hundred & sixty eight)for 14 nites, the same hotel, same date on alpha rooms is 266 ( two hundred & sixty six) & booked with hotel pronto 238 ( two hundred & thirty eight. HOTELS.COM ARE RIPP OFFS