Hertz / lack of information for rental

1 3400 UniversityAlbuquerque, NM, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800.654.3131

I made a reservation over the phone to revt a car via hertz for on 3/28/09. the car rental was for 4/10-4/15/09 - which was considered a "week". I have aaa which gave me a discount. I reserved a budget/economy car to be picked up in albuquerque, nm. my reservation # was e3323091076. the rate I was given was $147.00 for the week. when I arrived at the hertz counter, I was told that my visa/check card was considered a debit card and a credit check would have to be done in order to use it. I was never told about this when I made the reservation over the phone on 3/28/09. if I new this was going to be a problem, I would have searched for a different company with a different policy and made a reservation with them. my credit is poor and I suspected that if the agent at the counter in new mexico ran a credit check, it would not be good. as I suspected, I was denied the rental of the car. this was a terribly disressing situation. then I had to use another company on the spot, pay premium price, and they did not have a budget/economy car available. I used national car rental because they allowed debit cards without the credit check. I paid $295.76 for a mid size car, for 5 days. I expect hertz to reimburse me for the difference of $148.76. again, when I made my reservation with hertz on 3/28/09, I was never told anything about the debit card and credit check. I even asked the agent over the phone if she wanted my credit card number. she said no, and that hertz would take the card number when I picked up the car in albuquerque. this whole situation was so stressfull. I was in tears and had to payalmost twice as much as the rate that hertz gave me. this was a terrible way to start a vacation, but I had no choice. I absolutely expect hertz to pay me the difference! I will also be sending hertz my complaint, receipts, etc. via us postal mail. please work on this complaint in the meantime.

Comments

• Dj
      19th of Mar, 2010

You honestly think Hertz owes you money because you have poor credit? It's not like you had problems with the rental after you got it; because of your poor credit you never actually rented the vehicle from Hertz. Therefore they don't owe you anything. Pay your bills = improve your credit and you'll have a better chance in the future. Please realize Hertz does not owe you a rental car; many things in life are based on credit and this is just one example. You're just lucky you were able to rent a car through National. You also had the option to not pay them the $295.76 the were asking, but because you wanted a rental car, Hertz should pay for it? Seriously...people like you are unbelievable. Oh yeah, learn how to type and spell also.

• Ra
      14th of Jun, 2010

In every reservation I have made with Hertz it has been stated that use of a debit card is subject to credit verification. Also this policy has been posted on every rental counter at Hertz I have seen.

• Ho
      7th of Jul, 2011

when you asked if they wanted your credit card number there is your problem, you do not have a credit card you have a debit card, there is a difference.if you had not said would you like my ***credit*** card number then they most likely would have informed you of the policy.