Heald College / Expired Sodium Chloride

1 Hayward, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 5107832100

In our labs this past week we using expired 0.9% Sodium Chloride injections. We were not only injecting our fellow class mates but also outside volunteers. The expiration date was Dec 2006... This upsets me because now I wonder what if any harm it can do to you and also why was this inventory not disposed off on expiration. We have been taught in this very class that all medications have got to be destroyed. Why are there still bottles of sodium chloride still in the inventory 4 years after expiration date? The teacher was informed of the expiration date; she immediately removed everyone from the class room, gathered up all of the bottles and disappeared for 45 minutes. Upon return she advised us that this was not harmful and we would not experience anything from using this. In the real world this person, our instructor would have been fired on the spot. Nothing happened to her and I don’t even know if she was even reprimanded. This is a regulation of HIPPA and the FDA and something should have been done. I pay a lot of money to go to this school and I don’t feel safe any longer, and am appalled that this erroneous mistake could have even happened. Even if there is or was no danger, what would have happened if this was actually a drug being administered?

Comments

• Mi
      13th of Nov, 2010

Looks like to me that your Instructor is trying to hide the evidence. If it were me, I would most definitely report this to the Health Department!

8th of Dec, 2010

im an actual student in this class. our teacher did everything right, she taught us to look at the medication exp date and we did accordingly. this was a fresh box that was brought out of storage. if someone is to blame it is the past instructors on not disposing of them correctly. this has really has me upset.

• 0h
      10th of Jun, 2011

At least you guys don't have to deal with Miss Pegeuero anymore. She was a real piece of work, showing up 10-20 minutes late for class every day. Very unprofessional. BTW, I graduated with my AAS from Hayward in 2007 with a 3.95 GPA, and scored in the 94th percentile on the AAMA certification exam. I never made more than $12 an hour (we were told $15-16/hr to START) and was in fact unemployed for over a year. I'm now back in the semiconductor industry because the MA jobs are not as plentiful as I was told. Not that I wanted to be an MA forever... when I signed up for Heald in Oct 2005, I was told that they were being accredited by WASC the following January for an RN program. The enrollment advisor said that the currently enrolled MA students would be given first priority to apply for the RN program. Did it happen in January 2008? No. Every time I followed up during my two years, they had some excuse that it was rescheduled. Tell me... do they have one yet??? WASTE OF MONEY.