Hawaiian Airlines / delayed flight causing incorrect charges due to employee error

This was my first flight to Hawaii via Hawaiian Airlines(HA). I fly to the Hawaiian islands at least once a year with my family and twice a year, solo. We save for this family trip every year.

This year's trip with the family was from Los Angeles (LAX) to Kona (KOA). Flight #61 was scheduled to depart at 11am.

A delay due to "maintenance issues" was announced a few minutes prior to scheduled boarding. Several updates later (15 mins. after the initial announcement, 11:30am, 2pm, 4pm) and still no definitive answer.

Meal vouchers of $18 per person were distributed. A lengthy line to acquire the vouchers because their printer was "not working"

Several passengers requested flights on other airlines. HA was able to accommodate a very small few who were flying alone or in small groups. After those few, per the gate agents, there were no other flights available, either on Hawaiian Airlines or any other airlines that day. The rest of us were left without any option but to wait.

I, like many other passengers, requested a shift in my return flight, as we basically spent the day at the airport. The gate agent at LAX let me know that would not be a problem and that she switched my return flight from Thursday to Friday, same time, just one day later. The gate agents in Kona would be able to assign seats. I asked for a printout of my updated itinerary. I was told to "just use the same confirmation (PNR) code". They were still having "printer issues". Others in line before me did not have printouts, but it was a mistake was not receiving this confirmation in writing. I advise any future customers of this airline to always receive confirmation of any changes in writing.

Approximately 8 hours later, around 7 p.m. we were able to board a plane. A credit of $100 for a future flight was offered. The flight offered snacks, headsets, blankets, etc. for purchase. The meal service was one sandwich (meat & cheese), 1 cookie and the usual soda, juices. The plane itself was older, fairly clean, the upholstery is scratchy and worn out.

It is now Wednesday afternoon and I receive an email to "check-in" for my flight scheduled on Thursday. Which was incorrect because my flight was switched by the gate agent to Friday. After several hours on the phone, chat, twitter with various customer service agents, I was told that the gate agent at LAX did not "enter a note" or update my flight in their system. Therefore, my family was not on any flight.Also, there was "nothing that could be done". I would be charged a $200 change fee for each ticket plus the cost of a new ticket IF they could get me on a flight. I was charged double the original fare, for each family member, to get on a return connecting flight back to LAX.

The entertainment system on the return flight back to LAX was not working. HA offered a $14 credit towards a future flight. Snacks for sale, 1 meat sandwich, 1 small bag of chips/snacks and 1 macadamia nut candy was provided.

Their twitter account asked for my flight information, however, no response after I sent the information.
I am currently appealing this charge with HA.No response or resolution yet. I am also going to file a complaint with the department of transportation. For reference, the link on info. & to file complaints is here: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint

I am requesting a refund of the additional airfare cost incurred because the gate agent at LAX did not properly modify my flight itinerary.

I was truly hoping that HA was more responsive. I will update this review if any changes to my situation occur.

Th
Apr 11, 2018

Comments

• Ta
      24th of Apr, 2018

My husband and I booked a round trip ticket from LAX to Kona (HI) for our 20 year anniversary through Costco. We drove to LAX from our house for flight out Monday April 23rd, 2018 at 11am (flight 61 LAX to Kona). It is 90 miles from our home to LAX we left at 7am (4 hours before our flight). Due to traffic and an accident, it took 3.5 hours to get there. When we arrived at the counter at 10:25am we were told that check in had closed at 10;15am (we had prepaid our bag and checked in online). They told us there was "nothing they could do", we would have to wait for a flight the NEXT DAY. We didn't cause a scene and agreed to take a flight the next day (same flight, just the next day). We were told there were 154 available seats on the flight for Tuesday April 24. We paid to stay in a hotel by the airport so we would be close by and not have to deal with traffic. So then on Tuesday 4/24 we arrived at the airport at 8;30am (2.5 hours before our flight) only to be told that our flight had been CANCELLED due to "maintenance issues." There would be no other flights to Kona and they did not have an obligation to find us another flight because we were not confirmed on the new flight (even though the guy at the ticket counter the day before had told us we were). It was OUR FAULT since we missed our flight the previous day. So not only did they not find us another flight, but they charged us $200 EACH for a cancellation fee and wouldn't reimburse our $25 baggage fee. We ended up having to cancel our 20 year anniversary trip all together!!! So sad and disappointing! Their workers have the WORST attitude and don't even try to help make things right! I will never travel on HA again and have told all my friends why they are so terrible!