Grand Canyon University / financial aid rip off

This is by far the worst experience, I have ever been put in. I have been enrolled at GCU since 2008 and completed all my classes required for my degree. As I filed my graduation application this past November as i have been told by my academic advisor I came to find out that I can't . On dec 3rd, I was contacted by Andrea from finances at GCU stating that GCU wouldn't be able to confirm my degree or send any official transcipts out because I owe $1, 425.00 for my last class that I took in August. This is in itself was a shock to me because no one has informed me with this information prior to that. I never received a bill from GCU for this amount, nor an email, nor did it show on the student portal that there was a hold on my account or that I needed to make a payment of that amount . I was originally registered to take the class in july but due to my admission to the hospital 2 days prior to when the class actually started, I felt that I wouldn't be successful in the class so i contacted my academic advisor ( Brooke winburg) by email and asked her if I can take the class in the next upcoming cycle and if it would affect my current financial aid. We spoke on the phone and she told me that I m able to take it in August 19th and that it wouldn't affect my financial aid since i didn't sign in the class or started any discussions . I called my financial advisor Matthew Schanen and he also told me that my financial aid looks okay and after this last class, it looks like I have completed everything and there is no holds on my account but i come to find out that I owe the university for this class because I didn't take the class in July but in August which is a new financial aid year and at the time I didn't renew my financial aid ( which I didn't know about because my financial advisor never told me anything about a renewal but infact told me that my account looks fine) and how would i renew my FAFSA if i m graduating and have no classes that i m enrolled in ???????? I was told that I should have received an email with the renewal for financial aid and I didn't receive that email at all nor did i receive any paperwork. I was never contacted by anyone in the finances department to let me know that this is the case and my student portal didn't show any payments due or holds on it until the day after finances contacted me after turing in my graduation application. I m really frustrated that I m going to be the victim to someone else's incompetency and lack of efficacy to relay accurate information to the students. If I had to renew my financial aid, why didn't the financial advisor let me know and sent me an email stating that?. Isn't that what a financial advisor is suppose to do? Why did he relay wrong information to me stating that my account has no holds and taking the class in august would be fine and now I m faced with this problem? How was I allowed to take the class and financial aid didn't cover it and there wasn't any payments made by me either? Well to answer these questions I was told by my academic advisor to contact a manager in the financial department at GCU for her to make the decision to clear my account or not. Surprisingly, the manager had the same last name as my financial advisor so i wonder if they are related????? her solution was after reviewing my record she states that he tried to contact me on 2 different dates and has left voicemails telling me that i need to renew my financial aid but he didn't hear back from me. According to her my options are to take a personal loan and pay for the amount or set a payment plan ...I went ahead and contact my cell phone company and got records of my incoming and outgoing calls on these 2 dates and come to find out that no calls has been received or made to GCU on both dates... I have filed a report with BBB and will take it to my lawyer next if this matter is not solved... Where did my financial aid for the class go? I m the victim to a financial advisor incompetency and lack of efficacy to relay accurate information to the students.

Mt

Comments

• Gc
      22nd of Dec, 2010

Hi MTA28

Would you please contact me directly via email at robyn.[protected]@GCU.edu and I will do all I can to assist you. You'll receive an out of office message as I am away from the office for the holiday, but I will reply and put you in touch with our student resolution team promptly.

Thanks!
    Robyn Itule

Social Media Strategist
    Robyn.[protected]@gcu.edu
    602-639-7571

• Al
      7th of Jan, 2011

Ok it was confirmed by the mail center at GCU that no package was given to them as of today and yesterday. You told me Jesse that it would go out by thursday and now even fed-ex has no record of it being picked up. The lady I spoke to at the mail center at GCU said that if a package is given to them later than 4pm then it wont go out till the following day because the last pick up for Fed-ex is 4pm. I shared with you that I needed to have a date because my Electricity was going to be shut off if not paid by yesterday. After speaking with you yesterday and being given a tracking number to track it I was able to extend the shut off date till today. Now I am being told (Once Again) that this package does not even exist and there is no record at all of it being in transition nor of it being picked up by fed-ex. I dont think anyone understands how much this happens and has consistantly continued to happen to me concerning any type of financial aid from GCU. Once I told that a package is on its way then GCU's reputation is on the line and I have to push and push to get an answer and it is always the same. I just got out of the Emergency ward because of relapsing due to stress and now this. Once again I can that the financial aid department is consistent about one thing..."They promise me one thing and then do the complete opposite."
    You know my power is going to be turned off tonight by 5pm.I do not have the money to make the deposit to turn my power back on when it gets shut off tonight. That is not ok. With all the hospital bills and medication that needs to be paid for we are poorer than before.
    Look I understand and appreciate that many people have worked hard to make things happen concerning any financial aid. I am promised that thing like this will not happen again. I tell my wife and she does not believe aything anyone from GCU has to say and I am the fool for believing. I appreciate all the hard work everyone has done for me but when that hard work leaves me still waiting and then I am havign chest pain's and in the hospital because of all the stress then everyone's promises mean nothing. I cannot force myself to feel better because nothing is alleviating this pain and suffering I am going through. Now I am supposed to be expecting another disbursment at the end of Febuary when i complete this class. I am already stressed knowing what type of anguish and suffering I am going to have to go through when it comes to receiving that disbursment. It has been the same and I am not ready to do it all over again. Perhaps the school is too small too handle all the students.
    This is more stress that I can handle. Do I have to drop out due to all these inconsistencies? This stress has affected not only me but my family to. What does it matter because we are only online students.
    I am going to report this somehow because I have finally had enough. I need the email's of your supervisor's and anyone else who has handled this matter.
    I have already been through this so many times I have lost count and I am finally through. I have held up my end as long as I could so much that it has made me sick to the point of being hospitalized and now I mentally and physically cannot take anymore and I am done playing this game. No student should be subjected to this over and over again. It may be a laughing matter to some but I really do not have much time left to live and I am trying my best to finish my program and to enjoy the time that I do have but your school is not making this any easier. The result of all this is me getting sicker and visiting the emergency room more frequently. I cannot stop my wife from seeking legal help but I can tell you that I do not have the capacity to do this anymore.

7th of Jan, 2011

Alcorona67,

Would you kindly contact me directly at robyn.[protected]@gcu.edu regarding the issues listed above and I'll be happy to do all I can to assist you.

Thanks!
    Robyn Itule
    Social Media Strategist
    602-639-7571
    robyn.[protected]@gcu.edu

• Up
      7th of Mar, 2011

I STRONGLY agree with this statement. The finance department at GCU is awful. They must have an extremely high turnover rate. Every time I go into the office or receive a call I talk to someone new. This gets extremely frustrating due to the fact they have messed my account up so bad that it is impossible for me to explain my situation to the new finance counselor(s). Also as far as billing goes GCU never sends out bills or gives any heads up a balance is due until they send you an e-mail stating "you will be sent to a collection agency if your bill is not paid by a specific date". Something needs to be done at GCU because it is very time consuming and frustrating to go through the same thing every semester and it bothers me others have to go through the same situations.

7th of Mar, 2011

Hello,

Would you kindly reach out to the Student Resolution Team directly by emailing [protected]@gcu.edu or calling 602-639- 8035 with the details of your issue and someone will reach out to you via phone or email within one business day to work with you on resolving the issue you've noted above.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to resolve your issue.

• Al
      8th of Mar, 2011

Do not bother with getting in touch with any of these so-called media strategist...I have been waiting for two months for someone to call me concerning my issues now I am not even in the school anymore.

• La
      2nd of Apr, 2011

If you are still having problems here is some information that may help:
    Anyone suspecting fraud, waste or abuse involving Department of Education funds or programs should call or write the Inspector General's Hotline (choose the method of contact which best suits you):

•Send an email message to oig.[protected]@ed.gov
    •Call the OIG Hotline's toll free number 1-800-MIS-USED. Hotline Operators take calls during the hours of Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9:00 AM until 11:00 AM, Eastern Time; Tuesday and Thursday, 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM, Eastern Time except for holidays.
    •Complete and submit a Complaint Form (English, Español)
    •To ensure complete anonymity, download a hardcopy of the special complaint form, complete, and mail to:
    Inspector General's Hotline
    Office of Inspector General
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-1500

I just filed a complaint with the Department if Education, I also filed a consumer complaint the attorney general in my state. If more complaints that are sent to the Department of Education they will see a pattern and will be able to take care of this matter. I’m asking everyone that has an issue or has had an issue in the past to file a suspected fraud complaint against this school, or contact the Attorney General in your state.

3rd of May, 2011

I have the same issue at GCU, just I owe 2 grand to them. They messed up big time. I have mad countless calls and apparently my finance counselor has changed.. hmm strange right. This is too much to take. This school states their a christian university, they are just a bunch of GOD DAMN CROOKS!!

• La
      3rd of May, 2011

I owe money now too because they messed up, but they will have to wait to get it back. I used it for my other school because they screwed up my finical aid. The department of education did get the school return the money though and I believe that they are still being investigated for fraud.

• So
      15th of Nov, 2011

I am retired from the military and I've worked as an educator for more than eight years. There is definitely fleecing of students taking place at GCU. Four years ago I took some education classes, but smelled a dead fish early on. When I decided I no longer wanted anything to do with GCU, I was contacted by a collections agency that claimed I owed GCU over $1000. According to my finance records, though, my tuition was paid in full. Curiously, the school had not contacted me about owing them money. At about the same time, the school contacted me about re-enrolling in GCU. Initially, I was incredulous at the audacity. If I owed them money, why were they recruiting me? The individual did help me straighten the matter out (after I had talked to numerous "advisors" who wouldn't return my calls). Again, my records showed a 0 balance owed to GCU. Today, four year later, I received a letter from the "GCU collections representative" stating that I owe the school $81 and that unless it is paid by Dec. 12, my account will be turned over to a collection agency. Here's the kicker: The letters further states that if I pay the amount by Dec. 5, I will only have to pay half of the amount!!! If it looks like a scam and smells like a scam - it's a scam! So, begins my letter-writing campaign to the school president, BBB, attorney general, Dept. of Ed... This school gives true Christians a bad name. I think it's time we closed this sucker down. I recommend that everyone who has had similar issues with GCU, begin their own campaign using letter-writing, social media, etc. What this school is doing just isn't right.