[Resolved] GoldCar Rental / explicit fraudulent behaviour!

1 El Prat Airport, Spain

I rented a car for 2 days, from Friday 16th Feb 2018 night to Sunday 18th Feb 2018 noon.

The car had way more damages than the one noted on the check-in paper... it looks like a usual issue. So I noted every scratches on the body, and took pictures. I am a regular traveller, often renting cars, taking care of the check-in, even if I never had any issue... except once actually with GOLDCAR (already) charging once for a cleaning.

I never take the extra insurances as if worse case, if I was to damage the car, I would be using the VISA credit card included insurance.

I used the car only twice : to leave the airport on Friday, and to go back to the airport on Sunday. I was alone in the care, obviously seating at the driver's seat (read below).

On Sunday when I returned the care I was late for the plane, and said it to the guy (ouch). Still he took his time to check the car, went around, and went to open one single door, the right back door. Then he literally lifted the back seat. I was surprised he could do that, but then he closed the door and said "everything is fine" and handed back my papers.

My mistake here : I did not ask for signature / validation the care was return and everything was fine as stated. Lets rephrase : my mistake here, I trusted him / GOLDCAR company.

The two days latter, on Tuesday 20th Feb 2018 I receive notification from GOLDCAR that they will retain 455, 00 € for a damage on the car. I called customer service and was explained that the damage is not on the body, but in the car... the back seat being damage. This brought so clearly back to my mind the image of the guy opening the door and directly checking the back seat, which again has never been touched while I had the car.

The guy was actually planning his / company's organised fraud.

That back seat might have been damaged, but not by me, by a previous customer I guess. Goldcar might have not noticed it at that time, but they clearly knew when they handed the car to me. Why didn't they use the insurance they have on the car when renting it with additional insurance? I guess because this increases their insurance fees (they should have limits to respect with their insurance company). So what do they do? They wait for the next customer renting without an insurance, they take the deposit from his credit card, and tell him everything is fine when he returns the car. If the guy does not ask for writing confirmation on the return document -> they charge him. So easy. Yes but this is rubbery and fraud.

They will obviously not fly away with it. ECC should be made aware.

I also have a ticket with Goldcar customer service, a complain with Ryanair car rental (got the rental through them). So I will update on progress of the case. Who knows, someone might actually consider this kind of behaviour is not acceptable in their company and do something about it (in addition to refunding me).

Client number : 11653593
Contract : 13135672

• Resolution statement

• GoldCar Rental Customer Care's Response, Feb 23, 2018

Dear AlexandreB,

Thanks for your comment.

We're trying to improve our services and the opinion of our customers is essential to do so.

On the issue you described, you can open a query to our Customer Services department here: https://www.goldcar.es/en/atencionCliente/ (you have the button to open a query at the bottom-right section of this page). That way, they’ll get in touch with you and manage this issue ASAP.
    Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with once you've already got in touch with my colleagues.

Kind regards,