Glacial EnergyVery, very high rates

1 Review updated:

I am really upset at Glacial Energy and wish I had researched the company before enrolling with them. I was given a "quote" that was nothing more than some estimate that they would be 15% less than PPL and get me rates below 8 cents. I kept asking how this rate would be accurate and I was told that it will likely be lower, that the 99% retention rate means that they "deliver" and that contracts are "always more expensive." What a bunch of lies!!!

I was comparing them and a company called Constellation Energy, which guaranteed me a rate below 7 cents, but I was nervous about signing a contract.

So I get my first bill from Glacial Energy and the first bill is 14 cents and then the second bill is even higher at 15 cents!!! I calculated that this cost me over $21, 000 extra these past 2 months. And the next bill, which will be the last, will probably be higher.

What a complete scam. Those comments about trying to squeeze customers seem true on the internet.

Is it against the law to provide estimates to people and then to double the rates or shut off your electricity? Deregulation is Enron and Glacial Energy just trying to rip people off.

Comments

• Ge
      Nov 22, 2010

I am an energy broker that does choose to work with Glacial Energy as one of my options. Although they only offer a niche product, it is a good one. Glacial does have consistently low prices as well as a transparent "fixed adder" product. They offer wholesale electricity with a fixed margin that they do disclose to customers, with month to month contracts. I have seen many of my clients past bills, and they are saving significant amounts of money vs. the standard utility company. They are also showing great savings against other 3rd party suppliers. Overall, I have had an extremely positive experience with Glacial.

• Sh
      May 05, 2011

really, because i just found out they were ripping me off as well. I'm switching and telling everyone i know, they are scammers, end of story. I posted on facebook, and am extremely mad.

•   Jan 20, 2012

We are sorry you had a bad experience with us. Index pricing is based on the market with prices going up and down much like other commodities. Summer and winter month's bills are normally a bit higher, but when you look back and average the past year, you should end up saving money. We do offer fixed rate pricing in some markets with more coming soon. If you have any questions, please contact
    Customer Care at http://www.glacialenergy.com/customer-service.