Geico / unethical/unfair billing/renewal process

North Haven, CT, United States Review updated:

I had almost a non-accident in October. It was literally the SLIGHTLY tap at a stop sign into a car in front of me, BARELY touching the car. The guy in the car said there was no damage and no big deal, but that he wanted my insurance just in case he found anything else after giving his car a wash.

I was trying to be HONEST with Geico and let them know if this EXTREMELY minor incident just in case this guy called in.

The guy was very nice and even texted me saying that he would not be pursing anything as nothing was there on his car.

Now, in January I received my new rate, which increase $70 per month!!! When I called to ask why, they said it was because the "5 year good driver" discount has been removed due to the accident in October. There was no claim made by the guy, no adjuster went out, no money was given. So because I called in and was honest, they penalize me.

I think this is absolutely outrageous of Geico, clearly I am a responsible driver and don't think such a harsh punishment equates to what happened, which was literally nothing.

Now, I'm paying an extra $70/month = $840/annual for the next 5 years (TOTAL COST $4, 200) all for NOTHING!!

I really hope someone sees this an is able to give us some advice. I have contacted Geico and they said even if they guy calls them and tells them it was nothing they still will not remove it and give us our discount back. As I think they should be able to adjust discounts on an account by account basis so that circumstances such as my own aren't severally penalized, like what is currently being done.

• Updated by Kelley829, Jan 10, 2018

Ke
Jan 10, 2018

Comments

• Sh
      Jan 10, 2018

Why not check with a different insurance agency?

• Sh
      Jan 10, 2018

You responded, "I feel that Geico should stand by their consumers and do what's right; but, yes, of course we will be looking into other companies. It's just a shame, as we have been with them for so long and hate to switch since they are good in other areas, such as roadside assistance. They came right away when I needed my battery changed. I'd rather them see the error in their ways with our particular case and reinstate our discount."

Then it may be worth paying the extra amount each month. What about AAA?

• Ga
      Feb 22, 2018

I

• Ga
      Feb 22, 2018

I had a similar incident happen to me. I tapped someone, and while we didn't exchange information, I gave my insurance carrier a heads-up, just in case the other driver later claimed a hit and run. Fortunately, I had a different insurance carrier and my premiums didn't increase. In fact they thanked me for the call.
    On another note, I've learned the hard way that Geico is not a customer based company. You can't reason with these folks. When they make a decision, no matter how obviously wrong they are, they will not listen to reason. I'm thinking these folks receive some kind of profit sharing because the erroneous decisions they make end up costing us money and ultimately making their pockets fatter.