GE MONEY / Bad customer service and fraudulent charges!

I HAVE FILED A COMPLAINT WITH BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU... If you have experienced similar problems, you should too!!! I applied for a Care Credit credit card approx 4 years ago and use the card only for my sons dentist and ortho bills. In 2006, I asked for an increase in credit limit to allow for my sons braces and it was granted.

In Dec. 2006, I found that every time I made a payment of $78.00, my balance was going up, not down. I called Care Credit very upset about this, and no one could help me, nor understand me, nor could I understand them. I stated stated that I was considering closing my account.

A few months later, when calling in for another reason, I found that my account had been closed per my request. I never requested this, however because the representative, who can not speak nor understand English, decided that this is what I wanted, this is what happened. I told Care Credit that I did not request this, and they have told me, as they have everytime I have called them for any reason, that there is nothing they can do.

On July 9, 2007, I called Care Credit because I found once again, that I am paying $120 per month and my balance continues to go up. It seems that they tacked on a deferred interest amount that brought my card over the limit and they are charging me $29.00 in over the limit fees. So for each $120.00 payment I make, the balance goes up by $15.00. As you can see, these amounts will get larger as time goes by because it adds to my balance and I am getting charged interest on interest. I asked to speak to a supervisor on this call as well, and was told I could not. No one was available. I was then told that some one would call me... no one did.

I called back on July 9 to pay off my card with a credit card that I wanted to transfer that balance to so that it would not be a financial hardship on me. I was told by Care Credit that they could not do this because it had to be from my checking account. My guess is because they want to make it as hard as possible to get out from under the card because they are gouging their customers and this is the way they make their money... so why would they make it easy for you to pay off the card!!

On July 11th, I called and spoke to a supervisor named Natasha. I was told that she was sorry, there was nothing she could do. I explained to her that I did not request this account be closed, and she stated she was sorry, but it says I requested it. I explained that I did not request this, and she stated I could re-apply. I would not have a problem with the account being closed if it did not impact my credit score. However, it does. I don't feel that a representative from India who can't speak our language should have the power to affect my credit score because he thinks I said something that I did not say, but because he typed it into the system, it is what stands.

I do not feel that Care Credit / GE Money treat their customers fairly. I don't believe they should be able to impact my credit score based on what a representative THOUGHT I said, or decided possibly that because I was upset and threatened to close my account that they could take it upon themselves to just do so. This was not my wish and was not my intent at the time. Only a thought.

I do not believe that they should be allowed to deny payments of any kind.

They need to give better customer service.

Comments

• Mo
      29th of Nov, 2007

I am still fighting with GE about a payment I did through their automated service on the phone. I was told I never paid, I have provided proof of my cleared check, and they keep telling me I never sent a copy of the cleared check. I filed a complaint with the BBB and the Attorney General.

• Mi
      18th of Mar, 2008

I work for a credit card company. And although it is not GE, I know what speaking with ignorant, small minded people is like. As with any other credit card, there are finance charges. When you apply for credit, you should be fully aware of what you are signing, and read the fine print. So many people play stupid and act like they have no idea what a finance charge is. They send statements to you EVERY MONTH regarding your account, payments, and what date to have it paid off by so you do not get said interest. Every time I have called GE they have been more than helpful, and I am not so racist as to blame someones nationality for my irresponsibility. I can almost guarantee you requested to close your account, and in turn, thought you might get a little satisfaction by insisting you didn't. From now on, if you are having trouble understanding somebody, ASK FOR A DIFFERENT OPERATOR, one in the US. They are more than happy to transfer you. (And I can imagine REALLY happy to get you off their phone!) Quit taking it out on these poor people who are only doing their jobs and trying to make a living, and grow up a little by being an adult and READING your bills!!!
    ps
    Better Business Bureau isnt going to do ANYTHING for you, because being stupid isnt that company's fault. Good luck spending even more money.

• C
      23rd of Apr, 2008

I really like what Mikah has to say about all of this. CareCredit is no different than any other credit card out there. For those people that like to say things like "I was late ONE day and all of the sudden I hate 28% interest" and things like that, come on now. CareCredit, along with most credit cards, raise interest rates after there are multiple late payments on accounts. As far as what happened in this case, this is completely Heather (the cardholder's) fault. Complete stupidity. If she had been a responisble consumer and actually read her statement (the ONLY form of correspondence a credit card company has) she would have understood fully what would happen to her if she didnt pay that promotion off. Even after the promotion expired and the deferred interest was tacked on she could have prevented the over limit fees by paying the account balance down, or at the VERY least paying more than the minimum. Simple math would have saved her a lot of money. How exactly is this the credit card's fault? They provided all of the information UP FRONT and have hundreds of people available almost 24/7 to answer any questions she might have had about the account. Because of her failure to understand her own account she was charged fees. What it comes down to is people in America refuse to take responsibility for their own actions and their own stupidity. Want some advice, people? OWN UP. People make mistakes, but there is nothing worse than listening to someone blaming everyone else for their self imposed problems. Remember that when calling your credit card company asking for favors.

• La
      12th of Nov, 2008

FILE COMPLAINTS WITH THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION AND OFFICE OF THRIFT SUPERVISION. You have to complain to both. FTC compiles complaint data for other government agencies to access.

OTS works for you to resolve the complaints.

As you know GEMB just ignores valid customer complaints and will lie every chance they get.

They cannot ignore complaints from the Office of Thrift Supervision. And it will usually be resolved within 45 days.