Gander Mountain / firearm pricing

RE: Complaint for
Store #313
5105 Montgomery Highway
Dothan, Al. 36303

I would like to register a complaint about the store located in Dothan Alabama. I stopped by this store on 4-29-15 to browse around before heading home after work. They were having red tag sale on firearms. I looked over the selection and noticed one rifle that I was interested in and asked the clerk to show it to me. I looked over the rifle and chatted with the clerk and asked him why that particular rifle was priced lower than the others they had on display. He said he did not know that was just what it was priced. I continued to look at the firearms and came back to the same rifle. I asked a second clerk to show me the rifle. I inspected the rifle and asked the second clerk why that rifle was priced lower than the others on display. He gave me the same answer as the first clerk. He did not know, that was just what it was priced. I decided to purchase the rifle. After the purchase transaction had started and I was already filling out the paper work for the purchase, a third clerk came over and informed me they could not sell me the rifle for what it was priced. Needless to say I was disappointed. After a few minutes of discussing the reasons why they would not sell me the rifle as marked I left.

When I arrived home I called the store back in order to speak with the manager. He was on vacation and I spoke to the firearm department supervisor. He said he would look into the issue and get with the manager when he came back to work from vacation but he could not authorize the sale. I never heard anything from the manager so I called the store Monday (5/4/15) afternoon around 4:00 P.M. and was told the manager had left for the day. I called back Tuesday (5/5/15) around 3:00 P.M. and was told the manager had left for the day. I was connected to the assistant manager and explained the issue I had and who I had spoken with. He said it was the first he had heard of it and asked me to hold just a minute while he investigated. After about a 20 minute wait the assistant manager came back on the phone and offered the rifle to me at a discount but not for the amount the rifle was advertised for when I first saw it. That was not satisfactory to me and he told me that was the best he could do. He did not want any “nasty emails” coming down from the corporate office because of the sale. He stated someone had just made an honest mistake. The price passed being an honest mistake after I brought it to the attention of two employees.

After this experience with Gander Mountain and its employees I will not be doing any business with Gander Mountain again. The chain has incompetent employees. Managers who do not do their job because apparently they don’t stay at work and are more concerned with covering their butts and the incompetence of their employees than treating their customers right and doing the right thing.
May 6, 2015