Furnitureland South / They scam your deposit

1 5635 Riverdale DrJamestown, NC, United States Review updated:
Phone: (336) 822-3000

This store requires a one-third CASH deposit, and then they charge you a one-third "restocking fee" if anything goes wrong. Spending $3, 000? You may just be "donating" $1, 000 to Furnitureland South.

I ordered a desk for my home office from Furnitureland South (FLS) on November 10, 2007. I was assisted by the salesperson Betty Coleman, who has since been relieved of her duties at the store.

When the desk was delivered on 1/12/08, it came fully assembled and the deliverymen were unable to fit it through the entrance of the room. The driver had no choice but to return the item to the warehouse. He told me: This happens all the time because people are using a spare bedroom for their office these days, and the opening is not large enough for a desk to fit through.

When I later spoke with FLS, they said that they would be keeping my $300 deposit as a cancellation fee.

During the SIX HOURS I spent in the store on 11/10/07, Betty Coleman never once asked us where in our home this desk would be located. If desks are returned "all the time" for not fitting into a room, I believe it is a salesperson's responsibility to ask questions to make sure the purchase will work. Furniture is not my area of expertise; our salesperson was the furniture specialist -- and she worked for several years at FLS. Yet she failed to ask a simple question that would have cancelled the sale. I therefore believe she was more interested in making a commission than in providing quality customer service. I also have to wonder what the problem was with this employee that she has been fired.

Between 1/12/08 and 2/4/08, I made several attempts to rectify this situation. FLS was extremely lax in returning my calls, and it took me until 1/17/08 to speak with Laura Saintsing, my salesperson's supervisor. She argued that it was my fault for not making sure the desk would fit, and refused to refund my $300. Eventually Saintsing agreed that Coleman was "partially" in error for not asking what room the desk would be going into, but she would refund only half of my deposit ($150).

I asked for her supervisor to call me back, as I was not satisfied with this offer. He never called me.

On 1/26/08, I e-mailed Holly Gray, the FLS customer relations person as noted on the BBB website. She increased my refund amount by just $20 and sent me a check for $170. She stated that FLS offered me a store credit, but that since I was not appeased by this offer, there was nothing more they could do. I was NEVER offered a store credit, as I would have accepted this compromise.

I wrote back that Laura Saintsing lied about offering me a store credit, and Holly Gray said "FLS now considers this case closed." I guess they don't care that they have lying, cheating employees.

**UPDATE**: Holly Gray from Furnitureland South called me on March 5, 2008. I thought it was in response to my complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau, but it was in response to my postings on this and other consumer websites.

Holly offered to give me a $130 store credit as a BRIBE FOR MY SILENCE. She said she was "trying to work with" me and would give me this credit if I would retract my internet postings that share my experience with her company. I will never shop at Furnitureland South again, so a store credit is meaningless. But what really is telling is that they didn't want to do the right thing because it's the right thing; instead, they only responded to me after I shared my experiences with the public. This is further proof that this company cares only about itself and not about its customers.

Va

Comments

• Gw
      28th of Mar, 2008

This guys are slicker than dogdoo. If you give them money up front your stuck like glue. Check your furniture with a fine tooth comb. They are well known for patching damaged goods and shipping them as new.

• Ro
      27th of May, 2008

Furnitureland is currently experiencing cash flow problems. They can't afford to pay their QC Dept. for a 40 hour week. Most of their quality personal and all repair technicians have been on short time most of 2008. Apparently they aren't able to afford a 40 hour payroll. Rose Furniture and Wood Armfield experienced similiar problems before swirling down the toilet. Keep a close eye on this outfit . Things seem to be going in the wrong direction.

• Ke
      14th of Nov, 2008

Use caution . Don't pay money upfront. Weak economy is strangling this company. More layoffs. Company working with a skeleton crew. 11-16-08

• Te
      22nd of Jan, 2009

According to published reports based on information that FLS provided to local news media, they recently completed a $15, 000, 000 addition to their distribution center. This addition went online during 2008, just before the fall. While their overhead continues to rise from their building projects, their volume is drastically reduced. They have been forced to trim labor costs in a dramatic fashion.

Clearly, their ability to service customers is diminishing and will continue to do so as US consumers refrain from making big ticket purchases due to the severe down turn.

I can not imagine a worse use of a person's money than giving FLS a significant cash deposit in this current economic environment.

• Vi
      10th of Oct, 2013

Oh my goodness same thing happen to me! Bought many pieces for new home but NOT another penny to FLS. Holly Gray must think of FLS as her own company hanging on to every cent. Too, they ruined a new dining table in t warehouse w a 12+ inch dent! Tried to make me take it. I cancelled the order but Holly ordered another on her own.
    At present, she is trying to FORCE me to take SIX chairs without the table or pay 15% restocking fee of ALL. SUCH unreasonable people and pardon the pun "off their rocker too." I have had 12+ e-mails, many phone calls, and today had to see my doctor at Duke as I am so terribly upset by this unreasonable behavior and what I deem harassment by way of insulting my intelligence and trying to scan money from me.
    I am on a Fixed Income and the US GOVERNMENT is closed besides.
    What in the name of Customer Service am I suppose to do with SIX chairs?

I am visually disadvantaged too--limited vision--and I will get a lawyer for the blind to help me if Holly Gray along with all at FLS who want to make me pay for their dropping the ball, their mistakes, and just the overall lack of customer care, kindness.
    SHAME on FLS and their Staff.
    As far as I can see, FLS is not any different in 2013!
    Run don't walk away from this store.
    "The money shark will bite!"
    "God bless all the Others who have been cheated by FURNITURELAND, SOUTH, IN HIGHPOINT, NC!"
    I am terribly dissatisfied & disappointed by the lack of being civil. They care NOTHING about their customers only the Mighty Dollar!