Finish Line / refuse to accept return and refund

1 Mentor, OH, United States Review updated:

My daughter bought a pair of high top tennis shoes about 1-2 weeks ago (2/28/09) at The Finish Line at Great Lakes Mall in Mentor, OH. She thought she would like them, she came home put them on again and didn't like them, had them on for about 5 minutes. Stayed in the home and on carpet the whole time.We took them back to get another pair today, however they had nothing in her size at all that she liked.

The store assistant manager would not accept a refund. He had a horrible grin on his face the whole time. He was mean and crude and extremely rude. He was practically laughing at both of us. I felt so embarrassed and worthless at his actions. Accused my DD of swearing, I thought my daughter was going to have a psychiatric meltdown. I get their catalog all the time and my DD did not see anything she liked. My DD, who is disabled was extremely upset. Upsetting a child like mine who has multiple mental health issues is not wise, trust me!

There was nothing wrong with these shoes. They are "Baby Phat" patent leather hi-tops. The minute you put the shoes on they crease. That is the nature of patent leather. I called the number on the back of the receipt to open up a complaint with a district manager. I was told I would receive a call in 1-3 business days.

I'm not holding my breath. I have lost faith in the corporate world. It is just all about the money.We went across the mall aisle to Foot Locker and told the manager what just transpired. We had her look at the shoes and she said that the shoes were in perfect condition to be sold, not used at all. Foot Locker does not carry that brand of shoe. My DD found a pair of Nikes that The Finish Line did not have and she bought them, the manager even threw in a pair of insoles for free. What a nice manager and very generous as well. As G-d is my witness, I will never, ever buy anything from The Finish Line.

My daughter is on SSI and is lucky to be able to afford new shoes. I have not been able to get her any shoes this year. The shoes with tax were about $50.00 and change. That is a lot of money for her. She is so concerned about her looks and worries how others look at her, is a self esteem issue.What are my chances that Visa will side with me and/or a district manager will credit her account? It is a checking account that her SSI checks go to, I am the holder of the account as an authorized representative. The card was used as a credit card, not a debit card. NCB said to call Visa, which I did.I can't begin to tell you how much money I have spent at that store and on-line as well. Since I used a Visa to purchase the Finish Line shoes I called them when I returned home, but the CS rep told me that department does not open until 9am, and that is when I will call.

I called the Finish Line again today (3/13/09) . [protected]. I asked for "Valerie" at X5071. Guess what she is not the district manager like I was told. She is a CS rep who is out of the office until SUNDAY!

Finish Line had no intentions of calling me back within 48-72 hours! I was told there is not a district manager in the office. WTH???

The current cs rep would not let me talk to a supervisor at all.

She said I have to file another complaint. What happened to the original complaint???

I basically argued with the cs rep over the phone. She would not help at all.

My dear daughter is quite upset.

Comments

• Un
      13th of Mar, 2009

I emailed the complaint to the company and awaiting a response. I am not holding my breath. Thanks for the other ideas.

Unhappy Mom.

27th of Feb, 2010

Same thing happened to me tonight! I bought a pair of shoes for refereeing on Feb 6th. I tried on the left shoe which was a display shoe (probably tried on 100+ times). I would only wear them in the gym. When I got to the gym the right shoe was very tight and uncomfortable. so I put on my other shoes. I went to exchange the shoes tonight to be told that the shoes were trashed...WTF? He was looking at the left shoe (The display) and oddly enough that shoe was pretty dirty on the inside and the right was extremely clean! Go figure. I used to manage a Finish line store in Colorado and I would have never treated a customer that way! I would highly reccommend that if you buy shoes from this 2nd rate company...make sure that you dont buy anything that is a display! it has been worn and they will not exchange them! Very disappointed with them! I walked down the hall to FOOTLOCKER and spent almost 300.00 on shoes for my wife and I. I would have spent that money at finishline but they SUCK!!! any way the Mgr at FOOTLOCKER looked at the shoes and pointed out that the left was alot dirtier than the right (because it was a display shoe) but overall the shoes were very clean and could be resold.

• Th
      8th of Apr, 2010

I have problems with finishline all the time, they're always selling me shoes that look like they have been worn or have some defect, luckily i'm pretty good at talking and i've never had a problem with returning their products. Overall to save time I prefer to just go to footlocker now and save myself time, the shoes usually cost a little bit more but it's worth it.

• Aa
      16th of Apr, 2011

I attended the Finish Line at the Orland Square Mall on April 15, 2011 around 6 or 7pm. My friend and I were looking at the shoes on clearance by the customer service desk. One of the employees, named Sharika walked out of the back room behind the counter and brushed past me without saying excuse me. I did not reply, instead I shook my head and continued to look at the shoes. About five minutes later, Sharika comes past me again, this time brushing past me harder in which my purse shifted off my shoulders and I stumbled forward. She walked to behind the customer service desk to ring up a pair of shoes for the customer. Outraged, I told my friend who witnessed everything that it was very rude to bump into someone without saying excuse me. I suppose Sharika heard me complain because after she rang the customer up she camee to me in a very aggresive matter and asked if I had a problem. I told Sharika that I thought it was very rude to bump into a customer or anyone in general and not say excuse me or appologize. She told me that she is not going to appologize or say excuse me, and that if I see someone coming I need to get out of the way and that she was trying to help her customers. She was speaking very loudly and making a scene. Whether jealously played a role in this part or not, I asked for her name so I can report her to the cooperate office. She told me she isnt giving me her name and that I can talk to a manager if I want. I told her yes I want to speak to a manager since you dont want to appologize. It took ten minutes for the manager to come out and when she finally did, a girl no older than me, ( I am 19) by the name of Erika asked me if I had a problem. I told her that one of her employees was speaking very rudely to me and bumped into me twice. She told me that Sharika is a very nice employee and that was it. I felt as the manager, she could have appologized but she did not. I walked out the store feeling very unsatisfied. THe next day I filed a complaint to cooperate about Sharika and Erika