Fifth Third Bank / terrible customer service!

1 Cincinnati, OH, United States Review updated:

As an excellent Fifth Third customer, with no late payments, excellent credit history and score, I'm now faced with some of the scenarios that I read about here. My payments are due the 5th of each month. I make (send) my payment in on the 19th of the previous month. I sent a payment on Jan 19th for my Feb 5th bill.

On Feb 4th, my online checking showed it had never cleared and I called Fifth Third. Their customer rep, though sympathetic, said it was lost in the mail and to stop payment of that payment and send another as I had a 10 day grace period. I suggested stopping the payment and I'd do an electronic check with him over the phone. His reply was that I could not do so until the payment was actually late. So I stopped the check, was charged $29 by my bank to do so and mailed another payment.

Checking my online account on Feb 12 (two days before my grace period was up) I saw my second attempt at payment had not been posted to my account. Again I call and was told to wait another day as they had not received it but the first payment did arrive on the 4th after my first call (what a coincidence) but of course they couldn't post it as it was stopped by my bank. I wait till today, called Fifth Turd and still they have not received it and of course use the excuse of the postal service. I asked for a supervisor (an unsympathetic and unfeeling person) who again blames the postal service and says if it does not arrive until after the 14th that I will be assessed a late fee.

From here on out I will be sending the checks with a receiver confirmation and catch them at their little game but in the meantime I'm at their mercy and being held hostage. I'll keep you all posted and any comments will be appreciated.

Va

Comments

26th of May, 2008

You should try and get another loan ASAP. 5th 3rd is really dishonest with their customers and your home is your dream. Right now I am having to hire an attorney because of their lack of communication and theie poor follow up. I can not trust anything they say.
    5th 3rd can ruin your credit score. If your credit score is ruined you are stuck with their home loan. Then they can say you are late with your home loan payments and include extra fees and you are screwed. Next they will have your home sold right from your you. I would get out from their "wings" so you do not have to be at their mercy. Once your credit score is poor they know they have you where they want you.
    Best of luck, Marcey