FastHosts.co.uk / Fasthosts steal money from your account!

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I gave clear instructions to cancel my account three weeks before the end of an annual subscription. It was in plain English and I provided the security information they needed. They didn't cancel the account and they took the money for another year - and they won't give it back. I spoke with a supervisor - Matthew Hillyard - he told me he speaks to a lot of people who complain and that a goodwill gesture is rare. They won't refund my money.

What's happened in reality is that they've stolen money from my account and won't give it back. I think they're really stupid because people won't accept this type of treatment without complaint and I'll complain loud and clear about Fasthosts. People are put off when they read negative experiences.

Their exit policy is obstructive and they don't care if they take money that isn't there's to take. It's not the first time they've done this to me. It will be the last. Don't go with Fasthosts!

Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Mi
      7th of Feb, 2008

Hi,

Fasthosts have just pulled the same trick with me. I cancelled my account before xmas and they've just billed me £400 for another year.
    They say the account was never closed! even though I moved everything off there and requested closure by email and telephone.

Fasthosts are a rip-off company

• Ro
      13th of Oct, 2009

I would like to report my experience which is less complex than yours but puts a fundamental question. Firstly, I must admit I am very new to the Web world. Moreover, I am not English and the language is also a barrier.
    I studied some offers on the internet and I must be honest and say that Fasthosts seems very attractive either economically and aesthetically (they have a very nice Web interface).
    The price list is not very easy to understand and one can find better ones under this point of view. However, I finally decided to subscribe a basic package.
    As soon as I entered the dashboard or control panel, I realized that the company is not serious. Here my considerations:
    1) mixed together, one can find various options to enable but there are some which are included in my purchase and others which are not: the worst is that when one click on the latter, he will be charged without any advice!
    2) to put a remedy to point no.1, I immediately looked for my VISA account details with the intention of deleting them: I couldn't! It is forbidden.

Why?
    The customer service answer is that their service is monthly and must access my VISA to get the money every month: wrong! In fact, I replied to the customer service that I had already paid for one year and I didn't want any automatic renewal.
    In conclusion, I bough something and I explicitly asked for a fixed package without extras or additional services but they can't delete my VISA details yet.
    I think that they rely much on the fact that inexperienced people like me trying to issue their first internet site, will wrongly push some risky button and be charged without even knowing it and NO REFUND IS APPLICABLE!!! They wrote to me: "If you purchase any additional add-ons via your control panel you will still be charged for them and the payments are non refundable."
    As I have seen you are all quite angry with these people, who can recommend me some consumers association (maybe one specialized in Web issues), where I can forward a copy of this complaint and ask for a check in safe of all who just want to enjoy a one-time Web experience without being bound to the hosting provider for life?
    Thanks for your attention.
    Robert

• Or
      25th of Feb, 2010

Same problems with Fasthosts for years now and we are a reseller spending over £10, 000 a year. This time we have issued a Small Claim in the courts to recover the money so at least somebody will have to come and waste their time and see what a judge says. Has anyone tried this before out of interest ?

• Th
      24th of Feb, 2010

Hi,
    WELL, lets be honst - I've been with Fasthosts for like 2 years as of now and I have not seen or faced any of the single complaints you geeks have posted. Why don't you guys admit that Fasthosts is the best?

• Mr
      18th of Jun, 2010

I have had the same problem. I used to have two account one of which I needed to be cancelled right away but they charged me. The next year the same. I think it took about three years for them to finally cancel and leave me with one account.

Along with this I moved around three years ago and they have failed to contact me as they had not updated contact details. This means that each yr my account expires causing me to pay the extra "administration" fee. Last yr I told them over the telephone they had the wrong details and to update it for me which they said they could do but obviously didn't because this yr I had the same problem.

I have now gone into my account and changed the contact details myself but now they won't reply to the emails I sent them. They managed to call me when I asked for a sales call but then gave me a different number which when rang just told me to dial another number which was something like 08492267933551883225500... ect ect. It just kept giving numbers to me. I don't know if this was a prank from fasthosts but if they don't sort this out and restore my account I will definatly go somewhere else to host my website. Any recommendations??

• Gr
      28th of Jun, 2010

Recently, my partner's primary domain name was due to renew, but her card had expired months earlier. Fasthosts suspended the domain, and the first we knew about this was that her website - her main source of business - was no longer available.
    Of course, she phoned them and (eventually) got through to someone who said that reminders were sent to the domain e-mail address - which had been suspended! The domain was snapped up by some company in the States and now half her clients have been re-routed to a competitor.

Even more recently, I've decided to cancel my account due to the random 30% increase in fees and was told (over two weeks later) that I can't cancel the account until December. I don't even know where this random month came from, since I started the account in August of 2005.

DO NOT USE FASTHOSTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!

• Si
      20th of Apr, 2011

I had the same identical problem of credit card unwanted payments !!! They said I had a free one month after which, upon my confirmation, they would have billed me £56.75pm. Then my credit card showed a monthly bill of £73.19! Pissed off and unhappy with Fasthosts Servers and the fact that I couldn't implement several basic HMTL modules on my website, I rang (having to pay premium fee) their allegeded 24/7 customer service 4 days before the end of the FAKE one month free trial. In two days I couldn't get through and after several minutes on the phone and at least 20£ spent in phonecalls I sent them several emails. They replied as if I was their worst enemy. They said they couldn't stop the credit card payment (that had already gone through for the 1st month free trial) and there was nothing they could do to prevent being billed £878.28 (£73.19 pm) instead of the £681 they claimed it would have costed if I had opet to renew the subscription after the one month free trial. (It's as if you call me and my radio or TV is loud, and you say to me.. can you pls switch it off as I can't hear you well.. and I reply.. sorry I can't as it is switched on). I sent them a letter. Nothing. I kept being billed for another 2 months. In the meantime I had to spend more money to send a recorded mail to my credit card company to ask them to cancel the payment, which in turn, simply sent a letter to Fasthosts to request the payment cancellation. To cut a long story short I had to pretend I lost the credit card with my Bank and cancel the credit card as well to avoid being billed on a new one. Apparently Fasthosts also sends a final £23 bill to whoever cancel (and rightly so) their credit card. I have spoken to several web developers, web designers, small and medium sized companies, start up enterpreneurs and whoever make the mistake of using Fasthosts has regretted it big time. I kept fortunately my cost, my loss and my stolen money low: £73.19 x 3 months + circa £25 in phonecalls + circa £10 in recorded mail = total £255. Much higher than that is the loss of several hours of my life which I could have spent more productively instead of dealing with their ### and the totally unecessary stress caused.
    I think that this Company (that spend 600, 000£ on a single night out social event) is the biggest fraud in this Country and its directors shoudl be jailed. Moreover, an indipendent body should retrieve all the emails sent from customers that wanted to cancel their hostings service and force fasthosts to issue refund payments, possibly (hopefully) forcing them into liquidation.
    If the money was not enough, then the Directors and their personal assets, houses, cars, pants and socks, should be sold to raise the money stolen to all its upset customers. I just wish that God is looking at these CRIMINALS and that they will pay in MEDICINES all the money that they have DELIBERATELY stolen to far too many people. This ### goes on from too many years and these ### are getting away with it... but the day will come.. that all the responsible ones will pay for it... it's just a matter of when.. not if...

• Oi
      8th of Jun, 2007

I had the exact same problem with my Credit Card and FastHosts. They kept billing my card for months after the account was canceled and then refused to issue a refund. They're excuse was that the services had been used, which they were not as I had transferred to a different host.

It's now two years on and I am still receiving emails from their Accounts Department demanding payment of thousands of pounds sterling for an account that was terminated by phone, fax, letter and email in 2005.

And I had to cancel the Credit Card I had used with FastHosts in order to stop them charging to it.

They are ###.

• En
      29th of Jun, 2007

Same happened to me, DONT USE FASTHOSTS!!!

20th of Aug, 2007

After having my wallet stolen, my card details on the fasthosts website were not up to date. Not realizing my hosting account was due, fasthosts tried to bill my card, then when it failed, charged me £23 'debt recovery fee'. After many emails trying to cancel my account or get a refund for this fee, fasthosts were simply not interested and refused to give me a refund. This was for a product that I was paying 12 months in advance for, hadn't yet received and no longer wanted. They didn't care - I had to pay with no refund. They gave me 3 months free to keep me happy. They also claim they sent emails reminding me about my card - none of which I received, but they didn't believe me.

Then again, a few months later I saw that 2 of my domains had been automatically renewed - payment taken straight from my card. I didn't want these renewed without prior notification and again they said emails had been sent - they hadn't. They also won't refund the payments even though it was taken 30 days before the domain expires.

Be careful with your domains and account renewals. Fasthosts automatically take payment Unless you opt out. And they charge you a fee if your cards are out of date. And they don't send reminder emails! And they don't give refunds once paid!

Needless to say I won't Ever, Ever go near fasthosts again and will advise everyone not to go near them with a barge pole.

11th of Dec, 2007

I have been locked out of my fasthosts account for 2 weeks, i was locked out whilst making changes and have some horrific typos on my website. Customer support is engaged and Tech sup doesn't even exist. Dam... i have various sites with them. The moment i get my details back i am going to another provider. Any suggestions...

• Ru
      13th of Dec, 2007

Since the whole hacking situation I've had endless problems mainly due to not being able to access my account. I have sent in about 5 emails all trying to obtain my username and password and they palm me off with a email that doesnt answer my query. I felt like it was a template sent to many users rather than an indivdual reply.

• Si
      6th of Jan, 2008

Fasthosts have gone from bad to worse. Check out http://fasthostshell.blogspot.com/

21st of Mar, 2008

FastHosts are really terrible, in amost every way and care little for their customers or how they treat them. They costs us double thier fee, in damage to our business and reputation, due to their bad server performance. We are a long suffering reseller, with so many sites, that it would take too much work to leave them. We are trapped. Never use them.

• Tr
      13th of May, 2008

Like others I am having problems getting money back.
    I was told that my card details were out of date so I paid with a new card only to find that they had claimed the same amount from my bank account in France directly.
    Fasthosts claim it isn't them but it is on the due day, for the same amount, in Euros and with their reference.
    They still deny it?
    Hasanyone been to the small claims court?

• St
      16th of Jul, 2008

I am absolutely disgusted by the treatment I have recieved so far. They have taken the money automatically from an account I no longer use and am now having to pay interest on. They are refusing point blank to give me a refund. I am following the complaints escalations procedure as outlined on their website but have just recieved the same jobswerth response from Matt Hillyard saying to read the terms and conditions.

I will be taking this to Otelo.

• Ia
      31st of Jul, 2008

The question is why can you automatically upgrade on their site, and yet you can't downgrade; you first have to mail customer support and then call 01452 561858 to cancel your account, even though you no longer have any access to it!

It really sounds like they are trying to stop a breach just because people can't be bothered to be kept on hold for 10 minutes (cos guaranteed that's the cancel my subscription phone number...)

6th of Oct, 2008

Fasthosts are absolute ###. I signed up for a year but got a call last week telling me that I owed them 51.00 + 27.00 late payment charge because my account had been automaticly renewed. Because my card was out of date it obviously didnt go through (even though I only signed up for a year) so that is why the charge was issued.
    I agreed to pay as this was the second call presuring me to pay and asked to cancel all subscriptions, the women told me she couldnt do this and would send me information in an email how to unsubscribe. It never arrived!!!
    Now im being sent round in circles trying to unsubscribe.
    Avoid fasthosts like the plague.

• Ji
      17th of Oct, 2008

Basically these people are thiefs and committing fraud, They have no authorisation to steal money from my account, fail to cancel, fail to notify on renewal due dates with sufficient time to decline and couldn't run a bath, let alone a business. What they are doing is unlwaful in English Law.
    I'm taking my complaint forwards to the DTI and I WILL be getting my monies back, for a poxy service not yet received paid 12 months in advance, for something I do not even want.
    DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR CARD PAYMENT DETAILS.

• Zi
      1st of Nov, 2008

Streamline.net, fasthosts.co.uk and Ralph Dummermuth of United Internet AG

I had my bank account wrongfully debited by a webhosting company, streamline.net, that refused to cancel a three-month trial period then sneakily took a one-year premium hosting package cost from my account - I tried to indict for contravention of the Theft Act, but the Chief Constable of the area of the offence passed it to a subordinate who in turn passed it on to the Derbyshire Trading Standards Office and my money was bounced back into my account - it is illegal, a criminal offence punishable by up to 10 years in prison to wrongfully or deceitfully debit an account (and using steamroller pressure can be termed a form of deceit if use of the law to becomes forcefully intimidatory is unfounded: it is also illegal to use the law in pursuance of an offence, and the law comes down on this like a ton of bricks.

I now know that streamline.net were sellers-on of the talents of fasthosts.co.uk who bought streamline.net's customer base last May/June. I now know that fasthosts.co.uk sold out to United Internet AG for 90 million euros (£61mill) in 1999, or more to the point, sold out to Ralph Dummermuth, the German internet billionare who founded '1 und1' and who is the main shareholder of the owning company United Internet Ag.

Today I sent emails to the board members of fasthosts.co.uk, Andrew Michael CEO (the founder), Michael Hogan Finance Director, Mark Cowne Sales & Marketing Director, Steve Holford Press, and Billing, and Support, informing them of my intention to apply for their indictment and the indictment of the actual instigators, for theft if they do not return money continually taken from my bank after I had cancelled my Distance Selling contract with them due to their poor support. Google the Distance Selling statute and you will see just how the steamroller these companies use is a cover, a camouflage for their ignoring the demands made on them by the Distance Selling statute and just how they have drifted into dangerous ground given the Theft Act - google this as well!

I also sent a copy of the email to [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] (the board) [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] .

The greater the number of the more detailed type of emails the board and their minions receive from disgruntled customers that suffer because of the 'robust' methods for making a billion or two he seems to have exported into the UK the US and not forgetting the poor sods in Germany who my research tells me have had it harder for a lot longer, the more Herr Dummermuth might come to realise the role that good old honest customer relations might play in him keeping a euro or two.

What say you?