Fairpoint Communications / Unfair practices, outrageous pricing, monopoly

1 NY, United States Review updated:

Eastern upstate New York is another rural area that Fairpoint has established itself as a monopoly, gluttonously taking advantage of its customers who have no choice but to "choose" them for local phone and internet service. From the moment I signed up it's been nothing but a headache. Simply because of the date I signed up, I was sent a "prorated" bill - meaning they immediately charged for two months service. This amounted to about $158. No one informed me they would do this, and living on a very tight budget I couldn't afford to pay that all at once, so within the first two months I started receiving disconnect notices. Thanks to help from a friend, I eventually paid them off in full, only to receive the following month's bill of $83. When I signed up, I was assured my monthly bill would be around $74. I have a basic phone and DSL package (1.5 Mps). When I questioned this bill I was told the "introductory offer" had expired. I hadn't been told there WAS such an offer or that anything would expire, causing my monthly dues to go up so much. $83 a month for no-frills phone and internet? And I have no choice! I need phone, I need internet, but this is incredibly difficult to afford month to month. When I have called to complain about their prices, customer service has been condescending, insisting that their pricing is "competitive". Aren't monopolies supposed to be illegal? Can't the FCC or Attorney General look into this company's practices?

Comments

• Da
      21st of Sep, 2009

1. Get "lifeline" service if it is available (measured service.)

2. Get VOIP for your primary outgoing line ($15/month for 200 LD minutes and unlimited local.) I use Voicepulse, avoid Vonage at all costs!

3. If your line WAS $35 a month or more, it no longer is. You can still get incoming calls for free.

4. Check with other ISPs (COVAD often supports them, Fairpoint hates that), then ask Fairpoint about the best rate they can give you on Internet access. If they can't drop the rate, ask about your switchover to the new ISP, they will suddenly "find" a new rate or you can simply switch! I have used Speakeasy, their service is expen$ive, but incredibly good.

One thing you can get from people like Speakeasy is a "dead loop" service, no phone at all, just DSL, but that runs $60/month and VOIP is another $15, so no big win.

• Th