Ez Pass / Rip Off

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

I am appalled at the way these people do business.
I stopped using my EZ pass years ago...YEARS...and I had a balance of over $80 on the pass. So did they credit me the amount? No. They insisted I send the tags back (couldn't find them)...then they kept running the account, deducting $1 per tag, per month...until it went to collections. Now they have taken my $80 and said I owe THEM $124!! I am disgusted with these people. For months and months I got a statement with a negative balance. I kept waiting for the month when they sent me a check with MY MONEY. Instead they took it all and then some.

Why isn't there some other company we can work with? This one robs the customers!

Ta

Comments

• Cr
      1st of Dec, 2008

I stopped using my EZ-Pass many years ago and also saw the new "fee" that was NOT part of the agreement I made when I originally signed up. They would send me notices on a regular basis asking me to log into my account but no matter how I tried I could NOT log into my account. And no way was I going to pay a fee that was not part of the original deal.

So today in the mail I get a letter from a collection agency for:

$49.09 in "toll fees"
    $21.00 in "transponder fees"
    $25.00 in "admin fees"

Total BS. You cannot rack up tolls without money in your EZ-Pass account. And since when do I owe for the transponder? And who is the admin?

I never even used the EZ-Pass in New Jersey, only on the NY Thruway and occasionally on some of the MTA bridges between LI and NY.

The word "scam" does not begin to describe this racket.

• Re
      20th of Oct, 2009

The admin fees I have found out today come from the Collections Agency. They are the ones who keep all of the admin fee costs. That's how they stay in business is how it was put to me by one of their agents!

• Al
      1st of Sep, 2010

I lost my credit card and had it replaced, changing the account number. - Not realizing EZ pass was billed off it I did not have my account updated .Ive had EZ pass for 17 years with out a problem, billed automatically don't even look at my account, I cant get into if I tryed many times .Well my account went into negative balance, I didnot know ----I usally go thru fast lane with overhead tolls. So one day I notice a flash when I went thru toll .So next day I went thru tollbooth lane, I see it says check your account. I stopped at EZ pass office on Staten Island and they changed my transponder and told me I was low so I handed my credit card thinking this must be the problem ... I later recieved 6 summons in the mail at 50 each and 48 dollars in toll fees, I wrote them - that I have EZ pass account, just take tolls out but, there is no compassion ---THERE FINING ME OVER 300 DOLLARS, now it just went to collection agency. I tryed calling and writing but nothing works. I guess my credit score is gonna take a hit. I don't know what else will happen if I don't pay up Its dealing with EZ pass is so automated that you cant get a break .I don't know what to do .

• Br
      14th of Oct, 2012

I am trying to find more people that go through the tolls in New Jersey and receive a fine in the mail from E-Z pass. In a photo im am seen clearly handing money to attendent. so, i disputed it and got another letter threatening to fine me $500.. how is this legal? i would have gladly wrote a check for the actual toll... but i am not paying 2 $50 administrative fees. can anyone help me? email: bradpar1977@yahoo.com