Experian Direct / Unethical business practice

1 United States
Phone: 1-877-481-6826

I recently opened an account with the three credit bureaus so that I may view my credit reports online. The service was advertised as “free” for all three – and indeed it was for TransUnion and Equifax. However, while opening the account for Experian, a screen made it impossible to proceed without providing a credit card number. The screen assured me that my credit card would not be charged and that the information was needed for verification purposes only. Several days later, I see that Experian has charged $14.95 to my credit card.

After speaking to a representative of ConsumerInfo.com (an Experian company), today, I learned there was “small print” that informed me that $14.95 would be charged if I did not cancel within nine days.

Let me first say, if there was information telling me of this paid membership, I did not see it. The “small print” was evidently not as prominently placed on the page as the request for credit card information. Had it been, I never would have proceeded with this transaction. And if it was not the intention of Experian to surreptitiously and unethically dupe consumers into signing up for this “paid” monthly membership, it would have allowed consumers to complete the “free” registration process before prompting them to join a paid monthly membership. Consequently, today I learned that if the membership was not cancelled within nine (9) days of “joining”, a refund or credit would not be made to my credit card. What a travesty!

These, and other unethical business practices, are exactly what consumers are trying to guard themselves against. And here is one of the top three credit bureaus endorsing and engaging in some of the same despicable and reprehensible practices out there. I am insulted and incensed that Experian has taken this fraudulent route of deception, and I again, request a refund of my money for this incorrigible act.

Do