Excelsior College / failure of the cpne exam

I was failed on my cpne r/t something that the CA said I should have done. According to the cpne manual, this was not written in the m anual. I complained but to no avail. Yes, they are quick to shove a piece of paper in your face and tell you to try again. That is, You must pay another few thousands of dollars again. One day someone will uncover this big scam.

D  13th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
If you failed, you were wrong. Take responsibiliy for yourself and stop blaming others for your mistakes. In the real world of nursing if you make a mistake do you blame the patient or other staff members? It's easy to say what you did wrong was someone elses actions. Stop whinning, move on.
A  24th of Feb, 2010 by
I had a similar experience with Excelsior when taking my clinical exam and it was a year before I could deal with it. I, too, have spent a ton of money on study materials, tests, travel etc and have nothing to show for it. I did all of my pt care situations well and failed due to putting an unused, needless syringe in the garbage, not sharps. At my workplace we are not to put the syringe in the sharps, just the needle. And the video I used to prepare for the test showed the syringe being put in the garbage. There is no way I would take the test again because no one is perfect and under that stress it is easy to make a mistake. The doctor I work with said that they even got more allowance on the physician testing. I have now started LPN to RN in the classroom and would like to have all of the wasted money to use for that. Is there a class action suit?
N  28th of Feb, 2010 by
Give up the lawsuit idea. You made a stupid mistake.

The critical elements and Study Guide specifically say that the needleless syringe goes in the sharps.

Read more and try again.
A  9th of Mar, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I failed the CPNE and am not blaming anyone but myself. However, it seems the majority of people have the same complaints for failing. The atmosphere is designed to keep the stress level at such a high, that things you know or knew are soon lost in the mad scramble that is the CPNE. The expectations during the test are unrealistic for the most part and most do not really evaluate skills or knowledge...only what can be memorized and performed in robotic fashion.
I think the biggest problem I have with the test process is that all tasks are subjectively evaluated by the testers and they cannot be reasoned with. It doesn't seem fair to retake the test and start from scratch, retaking even what has already been passed. Shouldn't you just have to worry about what you failed? This adds the stress of failing what you have already passed. A double jeopardy. A lot of it comes down to luck of the draw, too. Not all CE's take delight in seeing you fail. They will overlook an error that is meaningless. Some won't. Then your areas of care and the type of patient are factors, too. I know someone that passed the entire CPNE retaking 3 PCS's the last day. Lucky break was that the last patient refused 90% of her care. It just had to be documented.
It is true that you are told of the CPNE early on. It is only before you take it that you begin to really see what it is. And unfortunately, it is at the end of the line.
N  5th of Jun, 2010 by
N  5th of Jun, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
If you live in California, do not sign up for any home study program for the LPN-RN. Go to your local community college or a reputable nursing school that offers the step up program. The College Network I believe offers this LPN-RN program, however, they won't tell you that it is through Excelsior College, but Excelsior College was tossed out of California for their epic scam, so the California State Board will not recognize Excelsior. So do your research and don't believe any salesman that they're not connected!
If it is too good to be true, it is. Be careful and peace!
N  28th of Jul, 2010 by
I'm about to enroll Excelsior through the Army can anyone rent or sell me their requiered modules, Thanks
D  22nd of Sep, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You fail to mention that you had to fail two other sections in addition to the MISTAKE that you are hinging your complaint on in order to fail the CPNE. I suppose those were also not your fault? Quit whining and accept your responsibility. They never claim it to be anything other than it is. As for the person complaining about the sharps, Your workplace is WRONG. And even if they were not it has no bearing on what they ask for the exam. You think all hospitals practice the same way? And as for the person glad to see excelsior out of California; as an excelsior grad and CRNA, You can kiss my A#@! I still practice in California. NA NAH NAH
D  29th of Sep, 2010 by
Please don't blame the school for your own failure to properly prepare for the CPNE. Presently, the first-time pass rate for the CPNE is 64%. That doesn't mean you have a 64% chance to pass. It means that 64% of first-timers have properly prepared. If you did not pass, it means you were one of the 36% who did not properly prepare.

I'm sorry, but not everyone that wants to be an RN is meant to be an RN. Just because you paid a ton of money, it does not entitle you to pass the CPNE. It takes a lot of hard work and persistence. If you think you've already put in a lot of hard work and persistence, then you need to put in more. It can be done. It is done every weekend by students who are preparing the right way. I did it on my first try with ZERO repeats, despite the fact that I wanted to throw up the whole weekend and my heart was trying to rip through my chest every second.

You can say the examiners were unfair. They were rude. They were overbearing nazis. 100% of the time, when someone makes these statements, it's a person that has failed the CPNE. Coincidence? I think not.

Stop externalizing. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Stop feeling like you were bullied or cheated or ripped off. The CPNE did not fail you. You failed the CPNE. Suck it up. Prepare right for it the next time. Go back and kick the CPNE's [censor].
N  24th of Oct, 2010 by
How old are you Donald J? Maybe five at the most. That is what you show in your maturity level. You didn't learn very much from your ethics lession in the Excelsior Nursing Program. Hope I don't require your nursing care in the future. You are just as rude as some of those clinical examiners
D  26th of Oct, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Ah yes. I'm showing immaturity by telling someone to accept responsibility for their own mistakes.

I think you may be a *little* confused there, my friend. I'm guessing you also failed the CPNE? Hey, if it makes you feel better to call me five, go for it. I must be a freakin' PRODIGY for being an RN at five years old!
N  7th of Dec, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I also recently failed the CPNE in Lubbock Texas and I agree with alot of what is written here. I paid about $4, 000 for this exam including workshop, car rental, airfaire and ofcourse the $2025 exam fee and all I got was a piece of paper shoved in may face with excelsior colleges main # on it and was told to call them on Monday. The 1st day of testing I passed all simulated labs, I STUDIED MY [censor] OFF FOR THIS TEST!! The second day I failed my 1st adult PCS because they didn't accept my plan of care, I could see where they were coming from, I almost changed one of the diagnosis that morning so that was understandable to me. BUT the reasoning for failing the second PCS is [censor]!!! I did everything perfect, left nothing out, my narritive notes were perfect BUT apparently the evaluation form which was chronic pain that was being managed by PCA pump, I was supposed to change the AEB to "no complaints of pain". SO STUPID!! Thought I was evaluating my original nursing dianostic statment. NO MORE CHANCES, CANNOT PASS GO, FAILED 2 ADULTS SO i WAS DONE, NO REFUNDS, NO EMOTIONAL SUPPORT, HERES A PIECE OF PAPER, NO GOOD LUCK DRIVING 12 HOURS BACK HOME WITH ABOUT $75 TO MY NAME, NO DO YOU NEED US TO CALL SOMEONE, NO NOTHING! ITS A SCAM BUT WHAT OTHER CHOICES DO WE HAVE EXCEPT TO START OVER AT ANOTHER SCHOOL. GUESS IM GONNA PUT MYSELF THRU THIS AGONY AGAIN AND TEST FOR THE SECOND TIME. THEY SHOULD HAVE CPNE THERAPISTS ON SITE!
A  7th of Dec, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
A  17th of Dec, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Lori Pagnotta died shortly after writing this blog about of Excelsior College. This young woman was one of the most caring nurses I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. She served honorably in the Air Force for 4 years so she was not a complainer. If she said this college was a sham, then it is. She was professional, beautiful and had an unbelievable work ethic, She took her education very serious, often studying all night. She worked and studied often while in chronic pain with zero complaints. She went above and beyond the call of duty and I know because I was her boss.
N  17th of Dec, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
K.Smith -- While I'm certainly sorry for your loss and can understand that your post is apparently part of your grieving process, a person's death does not make their opinion hold any more water than it did in life. I know that sounds callous, but it's just reality. Excelsior College is not a "sham". It is accredited by the NLN and is an NLN Center for Excellence in Nursing. The fact that some people do not adequately prepare for the CPNE does not mean that the program is a sham. If EC passed everyone at the CPNE and gave everyone a pat on the back and an "It's okay, you'll be a great nurse" after making multiple mistakes, then EC *would* be a sham. In reality, the CPNE pass rates are comparable or better than program completion rates of most traditional nursing programs. Consider how many nurses go through traditional programs, fail a class twice, and have to repeat the whole program all over again. EC gives you many more chances to prove yourself, and the cost is comparable to a community college.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss, but this is not the appropriate forum for grieving over the passing of your friend.
D  18th of Dec, 2010 by
Donald J ~
Obviously you have very high regards to excelsior, but it is also very apparent that others do not. How about instead of trying to correct and change other peoples opinions on the matter, you go to a message board that is NOT based on complaints...this is a complaint board. I do not go to excelsior, I go to another nursing program, and yes, in a way they are all terrible, all business and all about money and that is just the way it is. Just because someone does not pass a course or does not work up to what another person may think is acceptable standards, does not mean they are a [censor] nurse or did not prepare hard enough or any of that ignorant bs you are constantly bickering on here about. I know plenty of AMAZING nurses who have had to repeat a class just because the material is hard...bottom line. Nursing school is hard and demanding and most schools will do whatever they can to get the most money out of you they can. So please, Donal J ~ if you love excelsior so friggin much then why don;t you go work there, and start a website about how great they are. Stop being a creeper on the complain board and let everyone have their opinions. Your posts are redundant, annoying and hold no merit. I think I speak for us all when I say please, get a life.
D  19th of Dec, 2010 by
@gimmieabreak (misspelled)

First of all, let me say that it's very obvious that you're one of the previous posters under a new nickname. You've created your profile today for the sole purpose of responding to my comment, and you have no complaints or comments in any other post. Why hide behind a new name? Are you trying to make it appear that someone else is agreeing with your previous garbage post? How stupid can you be? Pretty sure that you're "K.Smith", although your writing style has changed a bit. Everything else points to K.Smith, though. ;)

Regardless of your stupidity and your pathetic attempt to hide yourself, your post was very amusing with your schoolyard taunts and your poor grammar. "If you love excelsior so friggin much then why don't you go work there" -- sounds a lot like "If you love X so much, why don't you marry X?". LOL. Why don't I go work for Excelsior? Because I'm an RN and enjoy working in the clinical setting. Why do I have to work at Excelsior just because I'm defending it? If you were defending your college against ignorant comments like these, does that mean you should work for your college? Absolutely [censor]ic statement on your part. Your complete lack of logical thinking makes me even wonder if you've completed a single college course.

This message board *is* based on complaints, as you said, but there is a reason that people are allowed to post rebuttals to others' complaints. It's not just a site for crybabies like you. It's also for people like me to make rebuttals and explain to people like you exactly why you are wrong. Not that I would expect someone with such a feeble mind to understand. But, it's worth a shot.

If you don't go to Excelsior, why are you even here? What stake do you have in the reputation of Excelsior College? NONE. By that fact alone, I have much more right than you do to post on this forum.

I never said that anyone was a [censor] nurse just because they didn't pass an exam. But, if someone does not pass the CPNE, it IS because they did not prepare properly. Period. If you don't go to Excelsior and did not take the CPNE, then you have absolutely no clue what the CPNE entails and you are just ignorant for even posting your uninformed drivel here.

Talk about being annoying and having no merit. Your post is complete crap and I have dismissed all of your nonsensical statements. Now, why don't YOU run along and get a life, and stop posting garbage about things that you know absolutely nothing about? :)
N  23rd of Dec, 2010 by
Donald J,
When you get it wrong, you really get it wrong pal.
Despite your continued praise for this truly remarkable institution of higher learning, you cannot deny there is a problem evidenced by your defensive responses.
Perhaps it is time to contact the State Board of Nursing and the AG's office regarding the failed policies of Excelsior.
N  23rd of Dec, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Looks like I pretty much nailed it.

Again, if you don't attend Excelsior, why are you even here? You have no knowledge of the school.

How do my "defensive" responses give evidence to your farcical claims that there is a problem with the school? You're grasping at straws here.

Feel free to contact your state's Board of Nursing regarding Excelsior's program. I'm quite certain that your state's BON is much knowledgeable about Excelsior than you are.
N  24th of Dec, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Donald you stated that you are an RN. Do you respond to your patients the same way you have responded to the people on this complaint board or is attitude saved for the nurses who dedicate their live to helping and healing others??? Remember, these nurses are the same one who will most likely be at your (or your loved ones) deathbed one day. Should they tell you to stop whinning and take responsibility for yourself? Will you be asking for their GPA while screaming in pain?

Excelsior College Logo Excelsior College