Everest Institute / Awful place

I attended Everest Institute (formerly NIT) in Dearborn, MI for Massage Therapy in feb of 2007. I was very confused when I was first denied financial aid without a co-signer but was later 'accepted' completely on my own. I didn't question this until I later quit this hoax of a 'school'.

I liked the program at the beginning until they decided they were going to change our 'mods' or classes around e.g. start at mod D, then go through E-G back to AB and C. Even our instructor said that this was unacceptable for a program such as massage as there are techniques you must learn before others, however, she did not want to lose her job.

About half-way through the course, I had to stop going to school for a few weeks because of work. I contacted my program director and told her the situation. She said I could take a 'leave' and take the mod I would miss at the end of the program. What made me a little skeptical though was that she told me I had to at least show up to class at the end of a certain week to sign in as if I was there. She also told me she would inform my instructor what was going on.

When I showed up the day I was instructed to sign in, my instructor said 'where have you been? What's wrong??' It was made known immediately known that the program director had said nothing to my instructor. I quickly told her what was going on and left.

When I finally was able to return to class I was summoned to the school Director's office. I was told that I was failing and if I missed one more day I would be kicked out of the program. The program director who had told me it was ok to miss sat right there next to me in the room and never said a word. It was absolutely ridiculous that they said I was failing because I received 100% on every single test I had taken.

I'm not the kind of person to be pushed around, especially being an adult PAYING for my education, so I said what do I need to sign to quit this school? The director said NOTHING and I left.

I later found out this had happened to a classmate who quit a month or so before me and quickly called the school to make sure I was dropped. The administration offices said 'did you fill out the drop form?' ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? As fast as I could I called Sallie Mae and spoke to a high-up supervisor who stopped my loans immediately as the school was acting as if I was still enrolled to receive money from my loans.

I have now come to the conclusion from speaking to former students that Everest CHANGES your info on your loan application forms in order to get you approved. I tried to go to a different school after I went there with better credit and was denied a loan. There is also a post on this same website from an employee saying they know they change your info.

The school also doesn't prepare you to take any national certification test.

BE WARE!!

Sa

Comments

• Ju
      28th of Jan, 2009

Everest Formally Known as NIT has messed up my life.I attended the dearborn campus for computers, first the ex-drunk physco teacher Mr. gibson told us we could not get certified for hardware and software at staples no more and nobodys even doing those tests any more, hello... whats the point of class...so like a dummy I kept going even though our teacher was literally a ex-drunk physco, we complained almost everyday to the dean or whoever she was, she did absolutely nothing.Even the main secretary was VERY rude they give you shirts to wear and she didnt let me get the size I need which was a xxl because the lil man before me got one and she felt that other people may need them so I received a smaller shirt that of course I didnt wear.But the worst thing about the whole thing was they had absolutely no computer parts, how can a person learn about computers with no hands on.Example: SCSI Cables adi adapter, what is this 3 years later i find there just wires that connect different hardware why not show us, they set you up for failure.I eventually had to switch to night classes to catch up. nobody in the morning class or night class graduated.I owe $1o, 000 dollars plus because of the night class I cant get any more loans for another school and the credits that they give you or worthless at a real college.then our physco teacher MrGibson tells us that if you finish hardware software and networking which was another class he would promise us a job.Other then that the school has 1 computer with internet to look yourself for a job.They took advantage of me at a young age and if your thinking of going dont do it.Your better off at community college.The only job you may get is at the cable company and if you ask them were they went to school theyll tell you nowhere.

• Sh
      29th of May, 2009

I feel very bad for everyone who had such awful experiences With Everest, I really do. I however went to Everest for the Medical Administrative Assistant program. I was on the Deans list for the first 4 mods and the last three I was on the Presidents list. I completed my externship and honestly I immediately got a job I was hired in. I do feel the tuition was way to high but I have gotten over it. I am being paid efficiently and I will repay my loans.

• Da
      12th of Nov, 2009

i attened everest in houston for a trade program i did grad. but they refuse to help with geting me leads for a job!!! I PLAN TO SUE FOR FALSE ADVERTISMENT REAL SOON!!!

• Bh
      24th of Jul, 2010

Don't go this school worst school ever my teacher at Dearborn campus told us if we don't pass she won't get paid :( she didn't know anything about the program. She helped us cheat she called it group test but it was all cheating.

• Tr
      31st of Aug, 2010

I went 5 of the 8 months without the all the books I needed and they still expect me to pay the full amount due. The teacher simply gave me an A for any homework I couldnt complete due to not having the needed book. Most of the time the lesson was side tracked by nonsense conversation that had nothing to do with anything we were learning. I went for Medical Administration and here it is two years later and over 100 resumes Im still not hired because 1) I do not have insurance experience and 2) the offices around here know Everest is a joke. Anyone thinking about attending this "for profit school" should think twice and seek out a real education by at least attending a community college. Most offer the same courses!

• Je
      13th of Nov, 2010

Our experience was exactly the same as Bhapo. Many others in the same class as my wife also received nothing but promises from the salesperson in the way of job placement.
    Sallie Mae should stop helping this band of crooks.

31st of Dec, 2010

Everest is a joke they promise job placement and don't follow thru. If you are white you do not get any job offers. I believe they only cater to minority students I know of at least 10 white students who went thru this school with no job placements. We are thinking and discussing with an attorney about a law suit.

• Je
      12th of Jan, 2011

I went to everest in dearborn. I didn't get all my books.. & same thing happened to me as justinman I had to take a leave. I was living out of my car with my daughter. Anyways I didnt complete my last mod I moved with family in ohio. But that's another story... Anyways I get a letter from everest saying I owe, them $4, 085 for not completing my last mod. (there was no way possible to complete it). But I talked to sallie mae & they already payed everest my FULL tuition. so now everest is just trying to nickle & dime me & they messed up my credit.. I can't even go to school down here. By the way I'm not paying . They already got there 15000

6th of Apr, 2011

I went to everest and was in the medical assisting course, they didnt teach us half the stuff medical assistants do. We hasd 2 classes combined, 3 different teachers in 7 months, you can only get a job right away if you know someone at that job or have connections. I am now in debt becuase i cant find a job because the jobs think it's not enough traning as a MA. 7 months isnt enought time to become a great MA. Itried talking to the school and apparently I have 3 student loans and i only rememeber applying for 1. so now i have like 13, 000 dollars in debt and cant even opn a bank acct. I want this school to go to court and be shut down and have us students be waived of our student loans. I do not reccomend this school to anyone.

• Ca
      3rd of May, 2011
    Everest Institute - Blacklisted because of complaining to the school concerning the unprofessionalisn of the instructors the lack of help with the
    everest Institute
    6431 Tara Blvd Jonesboro Ga 30326
    Jonesboro
    Georgia
    Phone: 770-603-0000
    everestinstitute.edu

When I complained to the school about the instructors that they were not teaching all that I needed to know for that module, and that they were changing up the method of giving the test one day before the test, and that the school was extremly noisy every where, and even in the library and concentrating in the classes was very hard. and that I could not come in a little early for class to get some studying done because the instructor was always playing loud music. and the computers were always down and I was unable to get my class work done because the computers were malfunctioning when the computers were not down. I wanted to tranfer to another campus but I was blocked from doing so.

• Am
      28th of Oct, 2011

This place is a complete joke. What school would advertise with a minority in baggy clothing yelling at you to do something with your life? Or they will throw in the job and family support upon graduation. Have you ever heard of a medical assistant outside of this clown show? Last I checked they are called nurses and RNs require much more than 8 months of crap instruction. Tell ya what...give me a thousand dollars and I will show you how to take someone's pulse or temperature. Do your investigations prior to commitment. It's not a real school...you were taken advantage of...there are ### people out there who will do this. Real medical experts will laugh at that institution and you for buying in on it.

• Go
      25th of Apr, 2012

I was just issued a restraining order from the director of career services because of my complaining. He told me the very same day that he would work with me in order to resolve my issues (the same as yours- computers breaking down, excessive noise in the career center, etc.), and then went to the local court house 2 blocks away and filed a restraining order against me, lying, stating that I threatened several staff members of everest. i cant wait to go to court in order to fight this. I graduated from everest two years ago with a 4.0 GPA, after it took me almost 2 yrs in order to complete the program (their fault), and I am still unemployed, but with much HIGHER debt now!